Princess Cays - Hike to Light House Point

Aussiemate

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that cruisers couldn't leave the Princess property.

I have never heard of that...many people head south to visit the graves,

I am not even sure where the Princess property starts or ends, nor have I ever heard it even mentioned my Princess anything about leaving the property

i went to the graves this March - at least a couple of them - i heard later on that there were more. When you get off the tender and are facing the island just go to the right and its a good hike down that way. Here is one of the pics i took:

IMG_0973.jpg

I have left the Princess property or at least I think I did. At the back side, away from the beach, you go through a tall, chain link fence and walk through a narrow guarded walkway. You have to show your Princess cruise card to the guards on duty there. Keep walking into the island and to your right are more vendors. I liked their souvenirs better...they seemed more authentic than the ones closest to the beach. I bought a necklace from a vendor closest to the beach and then I found the exact same one in a Walgreen's (I think or something like it) in Florida for a few dollars cheaper. The souvenirs I bought outside the chain link fence were nicest. It is really sandy out there and the people really earn their dollars sitting out there. I know I am going back there on my next trip as the necklaces I bought out there as gifts were enjoyed by my friends. You have to show your cruise card to get back into the beach area, too.

I tried to find the entrance to this area on my map of Princess Cays, but it is not marked.

Here's another pic from Google Earth of the graves, with a Princess ship in the background. It's about a 3/4 mile walk along the beach to the south of Princess Cays. As for trying to walk down to the tip of the island, which oddly enough despite it's name, doesn't appear to have a lighthouse, from the pics on Google Earth, it doesn't look like a pleasant walk. Maybe if it's low tide, the walk along the shoreline might be easier, but if not, it looks pretty rocky with some small cliffs.

947701.jpg

Archived