Private Car Tours (Other Than Lee Miles)

Elle in Chicago

Does anyone know of any private car tours other than Lee Miles? We really wanted to go with Lee, but he said there are too many cruise ships in town that day to book a tour (he was very receptive and helpful, so we're bummed we won't be able to book a tour with him). My parents will not be excited about a walking tour, so we'll need to do something involving a car.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Thanks GrannyCB. This picture is really helpful! My only concern is that Lee said it may be difficult to find a cab that day since three ships will be in port (2/17/09). Do you have any thoughts regarding this? Plus, my parents are somewhat nervous to get off the boat without a pre-arranged tour. Are there any private tour companies/drivers we can contact, or would we be better off just booking with Princess (I prefer a little adventure with an independent tour company, but hey, what can you do). :)

We did a Princess tour on our first visit to Cartagena. It gave us a feeling of comfort and security and it was a good tour. Our guide spoke excellent English, told us about the culture, history and those interesting personal stories that make tours fun. The tour visited a beautiful old theater where traditional Colombian dances were performed. We came away with a very positive view of Cartagena. I don't think you can go wrong with Princess.

For our second visit to Cartagena we knew we wanted to see La popa so hired a taxi. Our driver spoke some English, enough for us to understand each other. A taxi would not be a good option for your group as the vehicles are tiny. Two people are about all that can ride in one comfortably.

BTW, there were at least three ships in port when we were there. There were plenty of taxis available. None of the tourist destinations felt crowded.

Just home from a cruise that stopped in Cartagena. 3 ships in port that day. We filled 2 busses with a tour from DORA.. absolutely fantastic!!!!

dora@cartagenatours.com (tell her Sandy recommended her!!)

Everyone was so pleased. She also took us to La Popa which the ships tours do not go to.

She is so professional and emails very quickly. I can't say enough great things!! We had 51 people and all were pleased!! She had us back in plenty of time for ship departure.

She also has a website. Just google tours by Dora in Cartagena!!

Hi, Elle,

I noticed your posting about private tours. I have the same concerns since we're traveling with my folks and I received the same email from Lee Miles so I was wondering when you will be in Cartagena. We're in on 2/7/09 on Celebrity. I would also like to arrange a private tour for my folks before we get off the ship because they really are not very mobile. Would be interested in hearing if you've had any luck. Thanks.

Shelley

Hi, Pam,

Wow...the Internet never ceases to amaze me....how much you can find out and who you can meet! Yes, and thanks to someone who mentioned Dora earlier on this board, we're the ones who booked with Dora on the 7th! My dad uses either a wheelchair or a walker (depending on how far he has to go) so not to worry....we're used to taking our time. Sounds like it'll be a great tour. Every time we've taken a private tour it's been wonderful!

It'll be me, my husband Marty (both in 50's) and my folks who are in their late 80's.

Look forward to meeting you! What a riot! BTW, where are you from? (We're from about 40 miles north of NYC, town of Cortlandt Manor).

Keep in touch!

Best regards,

Shelley

Shelly,

It is too funny what we can learn ..... the internet can be amazing and then when we're on vacation, it can be a pain with my DH being connected with his BB.

We experienced the same problem with Lee Miles this summer ... his tour sounded great but then we got the famous email "3 ships will be in port and we can't accomodate your group". We love private tours, rarely book a ship's tour. Love the flexibility and options that large bus tours aren't able to offer. Cartagena seems the most difficult port on our itinerary for those with limited mobility. Glad we were able to find something so everyone can experience it

btw, my DH is Bruce and my mom, Connie (75) who uses the cane from an car accident 3 years ago when we were hit by a drunk driver and her leg was shattered. My Dad, Bob (83) is so active - still works as a conductor on a excursion steamtrain an hour away from us.

We live in Avon CT, just west of Hartford. I know where you are located... we visited your town when we went to CIA.

Look forward to meeting you all..... it won't be too long now especially with the activities of the holidays.

Pam

Hey, Pam,

I know exactly where Avon is....been there many times. I travel a lot in my job and Avon is part of my territory. A beautiful part of Connecticut....lots of shopping and lots of $$:rolleyes:.

Sorry to hear about your mom's accident. That must make it difficult for her. In the case of my folks, they're just old...I keep saying late 80's but my Dad, Aaron, actually turned 90 in July and he has difficulty walking long distances. So would I if I ever live that long. And my mom has some minor heart issues, so she gets out of breath easily.

I see you've cruised a lot on RCCL...we really like RCCL, but we've been on so many of their ships at this point that they're all starting to look and feel the same. My kids won't go on any other line, but they're not with us this time (in college). So, we figured we'd try Celebrity again. We were on the Century once a few years ago and thought it was just OK, but my folks loved the butler service in their suite so I figured we'd try it again. I remember the food being wonderful also, but the crew being somewhat snooty. We were on Princess about 2 years ago and liked that a lot as well...particularly loved the "anytime dining," and the ship's layout was more interesting than most. Too bad I only discovered the "private pool" that no one seemed to know about at the end of the cruise!

At any rate, there's nothing like being on a ship!

Look forward to meeting you and your DH and folks. You're right, it's going to come up really fast! Diet time.

Shelley

Shelley,

We love Avon and the Farmington Valley. I formerly lived on the shoreline and although it was nice in the summer, it doesn't offer all the amenities that being close to Hartford does.

Sounds like your parents are doing well considering their age. I can't even imagine my body holding up for 90 years. It's endured alot for the past 47!

We have enjoyed RCCL until we sailed on the Vision this past fall. We knew the ship wasn't offering all the bells & whistles but expected the level of service and quality of food to be similar to past sailings and unfortunately we were disappointed. We did have a relaxing vacation which is what we needed after my DH's hectic work year and getting our youngest off to college. But we definitely felt the difference on this sailing. We have booked on Freedom for March 2010 as my son and 7 college friends wanted to cruise together before they graduated and the departure port along with mega ship and all the amenities worked for them plus they got a great deal. We sailed on Coral last September in Alaska and had a great time so we're hoping for a similar experience in February. We have looked at Celebrity but their itineraries haven't worked for us as of yet.... hopefully in the future.

We all looked forward to meeting all of you.

Archived