Back from Solstice today ... amazing!

ssgemini

[quote name='Host Andy']Hi Neil !

Yes, there are only 2 banks of elevators. It seems Celebrity has compensated for this a bit, by placing the 2nd Bank of Elevators slightly aft of Mid-Ship. While I do not feel it will be a big concern, I wish they had 3 banks of elevators, like their other ships. Only time will tell if this new design will work smoothly.[/quote]

All the RCCL brand ships have only 2 banks of elevators and the passenger flow works just fine. Heck - even the Oasis of the Seas will only have 2 elevator banks to serve 6000 people!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Chuck, Thanks for all the effort you have expended on our behalf. Yesterday I looked at all 232 of your photos, but now can't seem to access the 466 that Flickr says are in your folder.

Looks like your cabin 9191 had the beds close to the closet, and at least you had the night stands on the outer sides of the beds. I will soon be traveling in a balcony with the beds near the closet as well, only I will want both nightstands between the beds, as I will be traveling with a non related male roommate. In that configuration it looks like it will be extremely tight just to stand in front of the closet and possibly impossible. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

[quote name='Deeliteful']Not one to be negative but two comments would make me think twice about sailing on such a large ship -

the sailing was 65% full yet people were waiting in line for coffee and the martini bar was so full someone gave it a miss.

What would they be like if the ship was full??[/QUOTE]

I'm taking a guess here and I might be wrong, but I have a feeling that on these invited cruises the coffee and Martini's might be free. When they charge for the coffee at Cafe al Bacio & Gelateria, I suspect there won't be much in the way of lines. However, I suppose the Martini Bar could be full, because that has been packed when I have traveled on the M class ships.

[quote name='neilrr']Dear Friends:

We have travelled quite a bit on Celebrity and one thing I noticed in looking at the schematics of the Solstice - it appears to only have two elevator banks rather than three. What will that be like with a full ship?
Anyone else notice this? Or is another bank of elevators not indicated on the original diagram?
Neil :)[/QUOTE]

Looks like 6 in the midship and 4 up front.

Sorry - there are pictures in another thread somewhere on the boards.
But it is a limited number - somewhere about 400 or so.

We have a hold on cabin CC clas cabin 1108 (Sky Deck) on the Equinox for 2010. I will be interested to find out after folks sail on Solstice as to how this cabin is. I am hoping for quiet....

Hopefully this is not one of the balconies that will have the painted X problem. But if I find out it is, we can change at this point since it is so early. We are still waiting to hear what RCCL is going to do in regard to cancelling our deposited cruise on JOS for 3-5-2010.

[quote name='ocngypz']I would stress.. avoiding balcony cabins on deck 6 because of the obstructions.. and avoiding the center balcony hump cabins........as many now have parts of the "X" obstructing the view.[/QUOTE] Wow! I sure hate to hear that about the center balcony hump cabins being obstructed. I've booked cabin # 7278. Just how obstructed are the balconies?

Hi:

Regarding query on change rooms/sauna:

1. There are three showers and one small sauna in the change room area. You walk into the changing room as if you were going to the fitness centre. Fitness centre overlooking front of ship is very large and inviting. In the change room area, there are two banks of lockers (you pick up a key at the spa entrance). The next row is washrooms/wash basins. The third row has the three showers and sauna. No view and the sauna is very small...there were three of us in it and it seemed crowded. I've been on the Constellation and I prefer the facility on the Constellation.

2. The Persian Garden (free to Aqua Class rooms) is at the front and has 8-10 heated loungers overlooking the front of the ship. There are two rain shower/herbal shower type rooms on either side. That was it. There was some discussion going on about whether they would open the Persian Garden to other guests at a rate (one rep quoted $20 a day). Not sure it would be worth it.

3. Food is so subjective; however, lunches at the Oceanview Cafe were amazing. Lots of choices...ready to make stations everywhere. Very spacious and easy to get around. Dinner was very good in the main dining room. The waiter said that they menus they presented would be the same ones for guests in the future.

DavidTravels

[quote name='Host Andy']Hi Hylasgirl !

It looks to be a last minute change. When the ship was built, the X appeared to be Frosted Glass. In the last few days, the X looks to have been painted white.

Many of us (myself included) had our doubts about the original design, as the X was barely noticible. The new paint job will solve the visability problem as you look at the ship, though it may create a diminished view from the balcony if you are seated. If you are standing, it should not be a problem. I will try to take a look at this when I am onboard Solstice.

I feel that Celebrity should revisit putting the Large X on the Funnel, as opposed to the small X that is currently there. They should create another idea for the X on the Hump on future S-Class ships. I was thinking they should try painting the Outline of the X, and leave the rest of it clear, to make for a better view.[/QUOTE]

Andy -- can't we just put the big flying X on the funnel and eliminate the X on the hump altogether? It was an interesting idea, but no matter how they try to make it work, it just doesn't. I'm over it. Let's eliminate it. ;)

[COLOR=red]Host Andy: [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thank you for your thoughts on the elevator issue -- I do see it as a possible problem with a full ship; it was tough with 3 banks; it will be worse with two. Time will tell...[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]Longboysfan[/COLOR][COLOR=black]: Thank you for the info; I thought I missed something in looking at the schematics.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=red]ScottAMiller:[/COLOR] I just don't see it especially with 6,000 people -- to tell you the truth after my last cruise on RCCL on Adventure of the Seas - it was too big and too many people for me... I'll stick with Celebrity or smaller...

[COLOR=teal]Last but not least on the elevator issue----[/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]CruisingtheWaves[/COLOR][COLOR=black]: I'm glad that I [/COLOR][COLOR=black]never have had an elevator problem when I am wearing my stilettos either -- only wear them in my stateroom -- never on the elevator. [/COLOR][COLOR=red]Ha Ha...[/COLOR]
Neil :)

we received a credit yesterday ($130 pp) on our concierge class cabin because they now offer senior discounts on our 1/25 sailing (i'm not, but my husband just made senior category)...anyway, i was able to upgrade to aqua class for $100 pp more....we still came out getting $30 pp back!!!! to me, this upgrade was well worth it....i called celebrity to ask exactly what we got over and above what we would have gotten in concierge class and it's pretty much the same other than some more spa-like amenities in the cabin, i.e., massaging shower head, diff. towels and robes; private entrance to aqua spa; use of blu restaurant; and they thought there would be discounted spa packages and perhaps even a free massage. supposedly the ambiance on the deck is more spa-like as well....to me the pics look the same as other decks. just thought i'd share our good fortune!!

nancy

[quote name='DavidTravels']Hi:

I'm just back from the two day as well.
One word...WOW. Excellent time. We couldn't get near the martini bar so had to pass. Very spacious and very sexy and classy spaces.

The speciality restaurants were not open for reservations during our two day sailing. They were reserved for special guests (ie: we did have a Q and A with the CEO and various other execs). On the second day they did open the restaurants over lunch and had a "tastings" menu.

The doors opening out is excellent. The door is recessed in from the hallway...you can step into the door opening to get out of the way of fast walkers/cleaning staff etc. Also, for adjoining cabin the door closes on the hallway for both cabins and you would enter your adjoining cabin from the front door as opposed to connecting doors in the cabin. Very smart in my estimation.

I'm a big fan of the balcony cabins on the stern. I would be disappointed if I had one on the lowest deck. You look out onto a blue shelf like area really blocking the view. We saw one on the SV cabins on Deck 7 and it wasn't great either (although not bad if you are sitting down).

DavidTravels[/QUOTE]

David Travels,
We are on Vista deck in a S1 Sky Suite are you saying the balcony view are not good? What is wrong with them?

[quote name='giles33']Understand deck 6 has some obstructed views. We are booked on deck 7, any idea if the life boats are still obvious when looking out the balcony? Does moving up a few deck make a difference?

Craig[/quote]

Hi Craig - I will be sailing on the Solstice soon and also on deck 7. I was able to find this video - looking out you will not see the life boats. When looking down, you will.

[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAF3EF4KH3w[/URL]

[quote name='willysgrandma']Can anyone tell me if the balcony dividers open so the balcony can be shared if two people book adjoining cabins?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it appears that most can be opened. We are still waiting on confirmation on cabins on the 9th deck. Those look like only every other two cabins can open. I am hoping that the pictures are misleading. BUT, every other deck, from what I can tell, open. Your steward will open it for you.

[quote name='willysgrandma']Can anyone tell me if the balcony dividers open so the balcony can be shared if two people book adjoining cabins?[/quote]

Yes, that was the intent of providing these dividers, so that adjoining cabins can share balconies.

[quote name='rolfecms']Yes, that was the intent of providing these dividers, so that adjoining cabins can share balconies.[/QUOTE]

Most new ships have balcony dividers that can open. It's for two reasons.

1. Making a larger balcony for connecting cabins.

2. Cleaning.

Cleaning all the balconies is much easier when all the dividers are open.

Ernie

[quote name='DavidTravels']Hi:

I'm just back from the two day as well.
One word...WOW. Excellent time. We couldn't get near the martini bar so had to pass. Very spacious and very sexy and classy spaces.

The speciality restaurants were not open for reservations during our two day sailing. They were reserved for special guests (ie: we did have a Q and A with the CEO and various other execs). On the second day they did open the restaurants over lunch and had a "tastings" menu.

The doors opening out is excellent. The door is recessed in from the hallway...you can step into the door opening to get out of the way of fast walkers/cleaning staff etc. Also, for adjoining cabin the door closes on the hallway for both cabins and you would enter your adjoining cabin from the front door as opposed to connecting doors in the cabin. Very smart in my estimation.

I'm a big fan of the balcony cabins on the stern. I would be disappointed if I had one on the lowest deck. You look out onto a blue shelf like area really blocking the view. We saw one on the SV cabins on Deck 7 and it wasn't great either (although not bad if you are sitting down).

DavidTravels[/QUOTE]

David Travels,

Do you have any pictures of what we would be looking at?

[quote name='eroller']Most new ships have balcony dividers that can open. It's for two reasons.

1. Making a larger balcony for connecting cabins.
2. Cleaning.

Cleaning all the balconies is much easier when all the dividers are open.[/quote]

Thanks, it will make it easier for cleaning. From a marketing perspective =X= has sold them for pax use. On page 6 of the Solstice brochure it says "Verandas can even be connected by opening the veranda divider".

So my understanding regarding connecting cabins, is that there is no interior doors connecting the cabins from inside? The two front doors of the cabins are used for access and there are a pair of exterior doors that close off the little alcove in front of the doors. Is that right?

HenColl:
You are right on concerning the connecting cabins.

Sunny:
Sorry, I didn't take a picture. Various cabins were open for viewing and we were rushed. On the Vista Deck you will be fine. My gripe was about the Continental Deck where you look on to a five foot wide blue shelf area before looking at the ocean. No idea what this is for. Wish I had taken a picture.

DavidTravels

[quote name='Meriflower']Hi Craig - I will be sailing on the Solstice soon and also on deck 7. I was able to find this video - looking out you will not see the life boats. When looking down, you will.

[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAF3EF4KH3w[/URL][/quote]

Meriflower, thanks for the video, I think it was taken out of the cabin next to mine. Not sure I can get used to looking down onto the life boats. I might try to change cabins and go up a deck or move to the front where its not over a life boat.

[quote name='DavidTravels']
Sunny:
Sorry, I didn't take a picture. Various cabins were open for viewing and we were rushed. On the Vista Deck you will be fine. My gripe was about the Continental Deck where you look on to a five foot wide blue shelf area before looking at the ocean. No idea what this is for. Wish I had taken a picture.

DavidTravels[/QUOTE]

Good, You said you saw one on the SV cabins on Deck 7 and it wasn't great either (although not bad if you are sitting down). Does that mean you look at the blue shelves also?

Archived