Door Decorating

fireman845

the doors are a composite that magnets do not adhere to--the only area that will hold magnets is a thin rim around the door (and the mailbox). We have a magnetic (oops!) sign we made years ago, 8 1/2" x 11", that we apply with the non-marring poster putty we find at Staples, etc. It's a yellow clay-type and works great. We've seen doors decorated with balloons, pictures, signs, etc. On every cruise at least one of our "neighbors" thanks us because in that long corridor of doors, our sign makes it easier for them to locate their rooms.

There's a thread in the Lounge where door decorations are discussed, suggested, and pictures are posted--I'd try there.

Have a great cruise!

Des

the doors are a composite that magnets do not adhere to--the only area that will hold magnets is a thin rim around the door (and the mailbox). We have a magnetic (oops!) sign we made years ago, 8 1/2" x 11", that we apply with the non-marring poster putty we find at Staples, etc. It's a yellow clay-type and works great. We've seen doors decorated with balloons, pictures, signs, etc. On every cruise at least one of our "neighbors" thanks us because in that long corridor of doors, our sign makes it easier for them to locate their rooms.

There's a thread in the Lounge where door decorations are discussed, suggested, and pictures are posted--I'd try there.

Have a great cruise!

Des

Thanks for you suggestions! My parents will be celebrating there 40th wedding anniversary and I am really wanting to go all out with some decorations for them.

Thanks for you suggestions! My parents will be celebrating there 40th wedding anniversary and I am really wanting to go all out with some decorations for them.

We've seen doors decorated for birthdays, anniversarys, graduations, etc. Have you notified your T/A or HAL of the event? They will bring a cake to the table in the D/R one evening.

Have a great cruise!!! and.....

GO BEARS!!!:D:D:D:D

We celebrated our 50th wedding anniv. on Eurodam this summer. In the on line gifts section of the HAL website you can order an anniversary package that includes an inroom flower bouquet and decorated balloons on the door. We also recieved a very nice chocolate cake in the main dining room that we shared with our tablemates. Everyone in our area of the ship commented on the balloons and how helpful the were in finding rooms. We were aboard for 20 days and 2 of the 3 balloons were still inflated when we had to disembark. The cost is minimal, less that $50.00 if I remember correctly. Jane & Gary:D

Magnets will not hold real good on the doors.

Go to Target, Wal Mart, or K Mart and pick up some sticky putty. Break off small pieces and it will hold up pictures. One in each corner aand one in the middle. We use plastic door hanger to hold up reef or slippers.

Here are some examples of what we have done..

We put up a lot of cartoons so if you do be prepared to hear people laughing outside you door at all hours of the night

Ruth & Jim

134335320_036ACabinDoor.jpg.4fa03ba3f292e985c5adcfa2d4d2b1e8.jpg

794219901_036FBirthdayBaloonsup.jpg.5b7d80c3c9d0945a9d5d0318ecde3be5.jpg

687882482_priceless21.jpg.138b0437d22b4ae778340b9744d0dc0a.jpg

UndertheWeather.jpg.a0da21361ba6d6beee618af1d24ae1d5.jpg

yesdear.jpg.b9fac8d5a0265a989e336bb4600d59b1.jpg

A few questions on door decorating.

Are the doors on HAL magnetic?

Are there any restrictions on decorating besides the obvious obscenties?

Any great ideas I will be sailing with my parents and brothers/inlaws in Jan on the Veendam?

The area next to the door is magnetic. I used magnetic paper that you can purchase at any office supply store or you might check out Magnet Valley online store if you want a good deal for several sheets. I also add a strip of Scotch Poster Tape to the back just in case. This is the door decoration that we had for our cruise in October on the Oosterdam, we made up around 20 of these posters using my computer and printer. Hope this helps.

Finaldoorposter.jpg

I sailed on the Ryndam in March and our door held the magnetic sign we made perfectly. It was an added bonus that we could easily spot our door from down the hall. I used the magnetic strips that have adhesive on one side. Enjoy your cruise.

For the first time ever on our 32 day Statendam cruise our door decorations were stolen. And there were no children of an age to reach them so it pretty much had to be a grownup. It is distressing when someone takes the edge off your fun like that.

The area next to the door is magnetic. I used magnetic paper that you can purchase at any office supply store or you might check out Magnet Valley online store if you want a good deal for several sheets. I also add a strip of Scotch Poster Tape to the back just in case. This is the door decoration that we had for our cruise in October on the Oosterdam' date=' we made up around 20 of these posters using my computer and printer. Hope this helps.[/color']

Finaldoorposter.jpg

This was such a great surprise when Shirley handed these out. I have mine up in my office now. Sure wish I was back on the O'dam.

This was such a great surprise when Shirley handed these out. I have mine up in my office now. Sure wish I was back on the O'dam.

Joni, it was fun wasn't it? We will be going to Palm Desert for Thanksgiving week so will be getting out the suitcases soon. Since we stay in our timeshare at the Marriott and family and friends come for Thanksgiving we take everything but the kitchen sink with us. Have a great Thanksgiving holiday you certainly live in a beautiful place to celebrate this time of the year.

Shirley

Wait untilwe do the road trip threatfor trip to the docks Sunday. We are going to get a large U Haul trailer to get the stuff for Guatemala to the docks. 65+ items is what we are taking down there.

We received special permission to unload in the ships stores area and put stuff directly into baskets that will stay loaded until we get there. Everything would not have fit into our suite.

Ruth & Jim

During the holiday season, HAL places small wreaths on each door. The wreath hangs from a red ribbon and the ribbon goes over the top of the door and is held on with tape located near the top of the door on the inside of the cabin. I guess this is to preserve the outside appearance of the door.

We use 3M Removable Mounting Squares. They don't leave any sticky residue when removed and we have used them 5 cruises without a problem. We mount our signs on foamcore board or gator board which makes them stable and difficult to damage. Making the signs is fun to do while waiting for your cruise to happen, and then seeing the sign every time we go in and our or to our friends cabin makes me smile! It's my sister's and my way to be a little creative and share it with our husbands and whomever we are cruising with. We are the door sign queens of our family - we even made a sign for my sister's Las Vegas wedding reception on 7/7/07!

Archived