Anyone else find the Cruise DVD to be a piece of $*%@#% ?

midfiman

I would agree that it's not worth the money. I've never bought one mostly because I've seen it on the TV on the ship and picked up pretty quickly how it's put together.

I would imagine they have a standard video with a series of placeholders to put in footage from the current cruise. Most people don't notice, and they make a LOT of money off of what is basically a 1 dollar blank dvd and the cost of the videographer.

I would imagine he's the same one that does the editing, and anything else they want on the ship (probably photographer and lab tech as well) and the several hours it would take to edit a higher quality dvd could be better served by taking pictures that they can sell at 20 bucks a pop.

I agree it would be easy to improve it, but why should they when they probably make a boatload of money already on first time cruisers. Second time cruisers who know the scam and aren't going to be fooled by it are probably a relatively small percentage of folks. I would imagine someone's done a cost/benefit analysis and figured it was worth it to do it cheap and fast.

I think I'm growing cynical in my old age, but although I have a great time on cruises, a part of me never forgets its a business and spends brain space counting up how and where they make the big money. Photo's and video's have a HUGE profit margin considering what they cost to produce.

I bought the Mariner of the Seas DVD from our January '06 cruise, watched it once and wasn't all that impressed. So I didn't bother to buy it from the cruise with my Mom a couple of weeks ago. I didn't think it was worth $30.

We happen to like it - but I do agree the price is WAY to high. We have been lucky to see lots of shots of ourselves and friends we've met.

But then I go to the preview on the final night before deciding to buy. That way I know who's in and who's not.

While I agree with you about the DVD not being worth it I have to say that I have purchased it a number of times. I usually had some OBC to spend anyway so I considered it as free ;). But again it´s not worth the money and one has to realize that the short clip they play in the theater is actually not part of the DVD, but the whole thing:eek:.

I was just remembered by a friend that on my TA cruise in 2006 the DVD had pics from St. John New Brunswick, while we had been to St. John´s Newfoundland:eek::rolleyes:

Anyway the DVD is like all photostuff not run by RCCL. The company responsible for all this is Image and their website is http://www.image.com

If you want to complain, I would do it to them. You can also get a copyright release on that website for pics and order pics you have not ordered while onboard.

I once had a video (as you can see some time ago when video was the media used) that was not from my cruise and got it replaced by contacting them.

Well, I guess we have been lucky. 10 years ago I bought the VCR tape from a Sovereign Of the Seas cruise, this year got the DVD from Serenade of the Seas. What a big differance the DVD has so much info. The VCR tape we still watch and then watch the DVD. WE will get another DVD on our next cruise in January.:D

Archived