My discovery of these great packing bags...

HeatherInFlorida

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3][color=navy]Have any of you discovered these wonderful packing bags? They come in many sizes and are called different things. I picked them up at Target and they were called space saver bags, but I've seen them at BB&B and LLBean. They are absolutely amazing. You stick your clothes in, zip them and then fold and the air pushes out through vents. They take up so much less room in my suitcase. I've used them before and if you do it right, they really don't wrinkle.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3][color=#000080]Good thing, too, because I'm packing so that in the rare chance that there's a storm at sea, I'll be ready for 2 weeks!!!!!:D [/color][/size][/font]

You can do the exact same thing with the very large Hefty bags, for less money than the space saver bags. Just leave the slide open a little, about an inch, when you roll the filled bag or you can just sit on it. All the air comes out, it is flat as a pancake, and then close the slide. Nothing wrinkles and it's a breeze to unpack. I found the very large Hefty bags at Super Target.

Found out about the Hefty bags right here on CC almost 2 years ago and just use them over and over. They come in a box just like the smaller Hefty's.

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3]Well, I'll certainly try that, Peaches, if I could find Heftys with zippers as large as the ones I have. Truthfully, these were not expensive. But I've never seen bags this large with zippers. I'll check out SuperTarget[/size][/font]

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3]Actually I do that with the small zipper bags for food. I put the food in, insert a straw, suck out the excess air and QUICK like a bunny zip the bag:). It's great for cookies.[/size][/font]
[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3][/size][/font]
[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3]Brian, you are too funny!!! [/size][/font]

[quote name='HeatherInFlorida'][font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3]]
Actually I do that with the small zipper bags for food. I put the food in, insert a straw, suck out the excess air and QUICK like a bunny zip the bag:). It's great for cookies.[/size][/font]
[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3]Brian, you are too funny!!! [/size][/font]
[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3][/size][/font][/QUOTE]
Great idea. I've never thought of that. :D

The one thing you have to keep in mind is that IF you are flying domestically AND IF you use a large (27") bag, then use of those space savers make it very easy to get more in the same space and exceed your 50# weight limit. I found that out the hard way a couple of years ago and had to fork over $25 for the extra weight. :( But they do truly save space with bulky items.

[quote name='jhannah']The one thing you have to keep in mind is that IF you are flying domestically AND IF you use a large (27") bag, then use of those space savers make it very easy to get more in the same space and exceed your 50# weight limit. I found that out the hard way a couple of years ago and had to fork over $25 for the extra weight. :( But they do truly save space with bulky items.[/QUOTE]
You got that right, I quit using them on cruises just for that purpose! But Heather is right, they are great. We have been using them for years.

[quote name='HeatherInFlorida'][font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3][color=#000080]Good thing, too, because I'm packing so that in the rare chance that there's a storm at sea, I'll be ready for 2 weeks!!!!!:D [/color][/size][/font][/QUOTE]
hahaha Heather you dreamer! hehehehe :)

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3]I keep forgetting some of you have to take planes!!!;) Next year I'll have to remember that! It will be a problem for a 2 week cruise. I just may have to [b]drive[/b] to LA!!!!!:D[/size][/font]
[font=Franklin Gothic Medium][size=3]Actually I just checked Southwest and they allow 3 pieces per person with a limit of 70# per piece. I think I can handle that!!:D [/size][/font]

I learned about those bags when I was going to Tahiti on the Tahitian Princess in March. The girls on the Princess Board were talking about them and I managed to buy them here at our Target.

The beauty of them is that once the air is out, nothing gets creased. We used them for our month away recently. I didn't need to use 3 woollen jumpers due to the wonderful weather we had in Paris and when I unpacked them finally there wasn't a crease in any of them. It certainly saves ironing.

But as Jim says, beware as you can put more into the suitcase and as we are only allowed 44 lbs (20kg) and one suitcase each, you can end up being well and truly over.

Jennie

[b]jennie.........HELP!!![/b]

[b]Please teach me how to travel for a month with only 44 pounds of luggage.[/b]

[b]Aside from what clothes we bring, there are always so many THINGS that all add weight. I keep trying to eliminate as much as possible but the 'stuff' is to hard to leave behind. So afraid we will need these things and not be able to get something that will substitute.[/b]

[quote name='sail7seas'][b]jennie.........HELP!!![/b]

[b]Please teach me how to travel for a month with only 44 pounds of luggage.[/b]

[b]Aside from what clothes we bring, there are always so many THINGS that all add weight. I keep trying to eliminate as much as possible but the 'stuff' is to hard to leave behind. So afraid we will need these things and not be able to get something that will substitute.[/b][/QUOTE]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]S7S-[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=blue]You just have to learn to leave all those heavy diamond baubles home when you cruise!!!!!:eek: :cool: [/color][/size][/font]

As we have now been to Europe 11 years in a row, one does have to learn what to take and what not to take. It is not easy but we do manage.

This year I took a long black skirt for evening wear and had three different tops for the 3 formal nights. I also brought good black pants and tops to go with them. The main thing is not to pack too many shoes as they are the heavy things. I brought 6 pairs this time, including the ones I was wearing. I usually can get away with four.

My DH puts his dinner suit and good jacket into a carry on bag which the air flight attendants always store for him.

I also put my toilet bag and cosmetic bag in our carry on hand luggage plus camera and a couple of books. We have the Samonsite carry on bags that roll. They fit up into all the lockers on airplanes and they can hold a bit.

We certainly do not go around looking like we are on a back packing holiday though. We always wear really classic clothes and this year as usual we went to one of the top Michelin restaurants in Paris - Tallivent - so we had to have clothes for that occasion.

I do carry on a very large handbag with all the documents etc. in and have an evening bag and one other good bag packed in the suitcase.

It would be so much easier if we could just drive to a ship, but as that is not the case, we have had to compromise a bit.

Jennie

Jennie, a girl after my own heart! For formal and informal nights I mix and match with my black Chico's traveler's clothes with various tops. They are lightweight and take up zero room. It's made a huge difference in my packing leaving plenty of room for all the other "stuff". For a week we travel with one large suitcase and a carry-on each .

My mother, who has travelled throughout the world, is the most amazing packer I know. She went on many freighter cruises that went on forever and had just one suitcase. I still don't know how she did it.

My mom could do the same thing... it was amazing! I think the key is to have the right kind of clothing. Light weight and not bulky clothing. I also do the black shirt and pants with different tops. I only take 1 pair of dressy black heels, sandels and a pair of tennis shoes. I have a great bag that hangs on the back of a bathroom door for all shampoo etc. However when it was loaded up and rolled, it takes up way too much room, so I've gone to using small plastic containers w/ zippers that are see thru. They are great because you can stick them in all the little spaces. I still can take the very thin hanging bag if I want for a cruise.
My lastest item I take is one of those net foldable laundry bags. You can either fold it up into a little circle or fold it flat and it takes up no room. I unfold it and put it in the closet for all the dirty clothes. ;)

There is a website I think is called packlight, which shows you how to pack.

Archived