Not happy w/ room assignments...I think! HELP!!!!

Life's a Beach!!

:eek: Need help from all you voyagers, as this is our 1st cruise. Traveling the Triumph December 28th. We just received our room assignments. 8202, 8248, 8220 and 8232. I am concerned w/ my mom of a young 75 years having to walk greater distances from these rooms to get anywhere. After reading these boards for months I do recall you all saying it is best to be mid ship and these are in the front. I am also concerned w/ the 8th deck as I don't want to hear the scrapping of chairs and such from above. I am sure we will not be spending a ton of time in our room but just wanted some input from the professional cruisers. What are my chances of requesting and getting a change for our 4 rooms? Not to get picky but would love to have them side by side. Ok...so lots of polite concerns in one post....any suggestions PLEASE HELP!!!

Midships is in the middle of the ship.

No matter how you slice it, there will be walking. By having a cabin in the middle then you have easy access to everything - and this is where I'd want to be if I was concerned with walking distances. Is she not very ambulatory?

I guess a lot depends on who you booked with. If you booked directly through Carnival and are concerned about motion/distance, I would call and see what they can do for you. You won't hear chairs above you because there are passenger cabins above you on that part of the Lido deck. Good luck, hope you can get the changes you want! My mom is also a young 75 and the walking never bothered her.

Go to carnival.com and see if you can find 4 midship rooms in the category that you paid for. Call your TA or PVP and see if you can get moved. If you're unable to get moved, put your mom in 8248 as it's the closest to the elevators. I actually really like the forward rooms. Seems like these elevators/stairs are closest to the spa, Lido buffet, forward dining room, etc. Your chances of getting 4 rooms side by side at this point are pretty slim.

Good luck, and have a great cruise!

Sounds like you must have booked guarantee, correct? That is the down-side of booking a guarantee cabin......you don't get to choose your location. You might be able to get upgraded to a specific cabin, but you would have to pay extra for that to happen. Not sure what your chances would be of getting 4 cabins beside each other, since you are only about 6 weeks out from your cruise.

As gail said, it also depends on who you booked with, as to who can help you. If booked directly with Carnival, give them a call. If you booked through a TA, you would have to go through them.....Carnival is not allowed to speak to you about your cruise if you booked through a TA.

Best of luck to you, and enjoy your first cruise! Nothing like that first one. :)

Did you book "guaranteed" cabins? If so, there was no certainty that the cabins would be anywhere near each other, let alone on the same deck. With a Guarantee, what you get is generally stuck with.

Otherwise, it's pretty late to be re-arranging cabins as many have been assigned; your only hope is to call your booking agent and see what they can do.

ken

Thank you everyone...we did not book "guaranteed" rooms. We did make our reservation through my travel agent so I will call tomorrow. Final question...IF we end up w/ these rooms do you think we will be bothered by the elevator traffic? In the end I am sure we really won't care...just thrilled to be on board!!!

It sounds like your TA booked guarantee cabins on your behalf. If he/she had picked your cabins (non-guarantee), you would have known your cabin number as soon as you booked and not had to wait for assignment. I would also think he/she would have booked them side by side. Just my speculation though! :D

Hopefully you find a solution! :)

PS- We've been near the elevators and the noise was no problem.

If you didn't book guarantee, why did you just get your room assignment?:confused: You should have chosen your cabins and received assignment at time of booking if you didn't do guarantee? Did your TA know you wanted to be next to each other? I'm missing something here...

As for the elevator traffic, no, it shouldn't bother you. It's pretty quiet - I've never been bothered by the elevators.

I'm confused. If you did not book guarantee, then you must have chosen specific cabins.....why did you choose these cabins if you didn't like the location? When you said you "just received your cabin assignments", I just assumed it was a guarantee booking. Did your TA choose your cabins for you or something? I guess there must be something here I'm not understanding.

EDITED to add: oh, good, I'm not the only one who is confused, as I see others were posting pretty much the same thing I did. ;)

Thank you everyone...we did not book "guaranteed" rooms. We did make our reservation through my travel agent so I will call tomorrow. Final question...IF we end up w/ these rooms do you think we will be bothered by the elevator traffic? In the end I am sure we really won't care...just thrilled to be on board!!!

I have never been by the elevators here - but I don't think I've seen a negative comment here about being near them! I'm sure that you all will have a blast! Enjoy it :D

I'm confused. If you did not book guarantee, then you must have chosen specific cabins.....why did you choose these cabins if you didn't like the location? When you said you "just received your cabin assignments", I just assumed it was a guarantee booking. Did your TA choose your cabins for you or something? I guess there must be something here I'm not understanding.

EDITED to add: oh, good, I'm not the only one who is confused, as I see others were posting pretty much the same thing I did. ;)

I was going to post that too. I thought it was just me! :D

Some TAs do book guarantee cabins and not totally explain the process to their clients. It happened to my sister on her recent Imagination cruise (who didn't use my TA or PVP...naughty girl! ;)) and she was not a happy camper. She ended up getting moved, but in the meantime she was hot that the TA didn't explain it to her. If she had known, it would have been different.

Life's a Beach - I'm with chigirlcruzin - if you just received your room assignments (instead of selecting the rooms at time of booking with TA) then you must have booked so-called Guarantee cabins (Guarantee cabins are where for a lower price, you agree to take any room at that Category (or better) anywhere on the ship, any deck, assigned anytime up to check-in) - if this turns out to be the case, you were extremely lucky to have them as close together and on the same deck as they are. For a Guarantee booking the TA has NO influence/control (even tho they may claim to) on locating the cabins together. Also, if this is the case, it's going to be very difficult to get cabins re-assigned, as you would have agreed to any location. Elevators drive me crazy - but nothing a few Black Russians before turing-in won't solve. ken

I moved my room today to the LIdo deck where I am happiest. I have the impression from my discussion with my TA today, that there are still some midship rooms. I would call whomever you booked through and explain the situation. Perhaps you can get you Mom's room near midship. You can come pick here up on your way out and drop her off there at night on your way in. As said above, the chances of 4 rooms right together are not very good at this point.

If your main concern is walking distance from the elevators then forget it. 32 and 48 are as close to the elevators as you will find anywhere. Lido deck noise is in the aft section of the ship. Elevator noise, there will be NONE. Noise from elevator TRAFFIC? There is only one cure for that, book cabins as far from the elevators as possible. Oh, wait thats what you don't like.

Next time you are going to spend thousands of dollars, get some idea of what you're doing first, or what's being done to you.

I'd suggest you get a copy of your booking from the TA, the Carnival confirmation copy, not some form the TA makes up. The TA might have booked you in GTY cabins and charged you for regular cabins or the TA might have had GROUP SPACE reserved and booked you that way. Do a dummy booking online and see what the cabins should cost and see what you paid.

Dan

I'm pretty sure, by your description, that you booked guarantee. Otherwise, you'd know exactly which rooms you had when you book it. We picked out our rooms, 6 right in a row, mid ship, we knew our room numbers immediately and who was in which room.

I don't care where on the ship your cabin is. There is a lot of walking period. Ships are very long and require a lot of walking. If the 75 year old has trouble walking rent her a wheelchair or a scooter for around the ship. This way you don't have to worry about Elevator noise etc.

Good Luck.

Linda

If your main concern is walking distance from the elevators then forget it. 32 and 48 are as close to the elevators as you will find anywhere. Lido deck noise is in the aft section of the ship. Elevator noise, there will be NONE. Noise from elevator TRAFFIC? There is only one cure for that, book cabins as far from the elevators as possible. Oh, wait thats what you don't like.

Next time you are going to spend thousands of dollars, get some idea of what you're doing first, or what's being done to you.

I'd suggest you get a copy of your booking from the TA, the Carnival confirmation copy, not some form the TA makes up. The TA might have booked you in GTY cabins and charged you for regular cabins or the TA might have had GROUP SPACE reserved and booked you that way. Do a dummy booking online and see what the cabins should cost and see what you paid.

Dan

Dan we all had to start somewhere. My TA told me on my first booking that the reason we didnt have a cabin was because it was so close to the sailing date and so sold out Carnival had the right to pick our cabins. The word guarantee was never mentioned.

Cabin 8248 will be the closest to the central elevators and will not be as far as you think. As far as noise, all of those cabins have Lido deck cabins above you.

You can also think about getting a walker with a seat to help move about the ship. She may also suprise you and be more spritely than you!!!

Also, looks like these are 8C cabins on the Verandah desk. With the new categories, the only other 8Cs are on the Empress and are not exactly mid ship either -- they are more aft (back). So you may have to change categories to get midship. Or you may have to specifically tell the TA, you don't care if you all are in close proximity. It might also matter how many total are in your party and how many you are trying to put into each room.

Bottom line is that you do need to discuss your concerns with your TA to find out why you ended up with the rooms that you did and what your options are at this time.

I don't care where on the ship your cabin is. There is a lot of walking period. Ships are very long and require a lot of walking. If the 75 year old has trouble walking rent her a wheelchair or a scooter for around the ship. This way you don't have to worry about Elevator noise etc.

Good Luck.

Linda

no kidding,,,we weren't far from the aft elevator, but because of the locations of the restaurant, we often had to walk to the midships or even the forward elevators to get where we wanted to go,,,,,,the fact is you will walk that whole ship no matter WHERE you are,,,,,,,

IMO nobody is far from an elevator,,,,,,,will the elevator you're close to take you where you want to go? THAT is the question,,,you spend 5 days learning to get AROUND a ship, lol

one reason to love the smaller ships :) Holly

Archived