Bar Harbor Acadia NP Tour

Jfultz81

I found my research paperwork and have them listed at $70 per hour for up to 6 people. Tours generally range 2-4 hours depending on how many stops you want and which route you want to take. I was also told 2 hour would be a very quick pace depending on traffic, so i would plan it costing a minimum $210 plus tips. HTH

Thanks for the taxi information.

We don't want to spend only 2 1/2 hours in the park when the ship is docked in town all day. It's too bad that the park buses don't begin running until the middle of June.

If six people share the taxi for FIVE hours for $350, that's only $58 per person. The trolley is $29 for only 2.5 hours. And the taxi stops where YOU want to stop to take pictures. They probably know the best restrooms without long lines, as well!

I think that's the best way to go.

ilovhywd - when will you be here? Was it n May? Most things do not open up until Memorial day weekend.. We are at the coast this week (Southwest Harbor) and it has been warm/cold/rainy/beautiful, and everything in between. Thunderhole had the local tv station taking pictures as the swells are huge ... I love the wildness of the sea ... Sand beach is back to being a beach again ... we had a few years ago where a storm was r.so great all the sand was gone and it was all rocks.

I was talking with a shopkeeper today that said last fall that out of ten ships only two ships were able to tender due to the weathe

I hope you have a wonderful time on your trip. Jan

We will be in Bar Harbor on the Maasdam on May 29.

Right now I'm leaning towards taking the two hour nature boat in the morning only if it is a beautiful day. (I'm very interested in birds.) Then a delicious lobster lunch somewhere in town followed by the 2.5 hour trolley tour. That way, we'll get to do a little bit of everything!

I'll go back and read all the threads again, but do you know a good lobster place where you can eat outdoors?

Thanks for your good wishes! I will report back to this thread when we get home!

Ilene

I'm going to defer to Sailbad on where a good place for lunch outside. We were at Rupinini's (sp) yesterday and DH had a lobster roll .... but we have a tendency to go to lobster pounds or our own picnic table for lobster. I'm not an authority on outdoor lunch in Bar Harbor.

I hope you have a wonderful time ... it is going to be in the 70's here today (very unusual) ....

I think your day sounds wonderful ... I'd love to hear about it when you return! Jan

• 1 month later...
We will be in Bar Harbor on the Maasdam on May 29.

Right now I'm leaning towards taking the two hour nature boat in the morning only if it is a beautiful day. (I'm very interested in birds.) Then a delicious lobster lunch somewhere in town followed by the 2.5 hour trolley tour. That way, we'll get to do a little bit of everything!

I'll go back and read all the threads again, but do you know a good lobster place where you can eat outdoors?

Thanks for your good wishes! I will report back to this thread when we get home!

Ilene

Ilene - you will soon be sailing and we will be anxious to hear how your day in Bar Harbor went along with your trolley tour. Please report back. We sail in October.

Bon Voyage

Carol

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, still confused here. Am I correct in my understanding we can use the Island Explorer bus to hop on and hop off ... bearing in mind they have regular stops on their routes...?

How do we get to the visitor's center in order to get on the #4 bus? Is it walkable from where we tender in?

If I chose one or two destinations within the park, which ones would they be?

My own personal opinion would be to take a tour - but to each their own. I would not miss Cadillac Mountain, Thunder Hole and Sand Beach.

1. Cadillac for the beautiful views of the harbor, water, islands, etc.

2. Sand Beach - Everyone that visits Maine should at least put their toes into the Atlantic Ocean .... It is Very Cold! Sure to turn one's toes blue.

3. Thunder hole - if the tide is not quite to high tide - Its great. We have been there when they have it blocked off to walking --- the spray and sound is amazing. View is lovely also.

Enjoy! Jan

Archived