Car rental or take the bus?

luvocean9

We'll be in GC 7AM to 4PM on Dec 3. Right now we have a car reserved, but am wondering if the bus would be better. There are 6 ships and 16,864 people that day from cruise ships. We want to go to some beaches on 7 mile. In reality, we probably only have about 6 hours to play.

I need help with the decision. Would the car be better for $57, or should we just hop on the busses for a couple of bucks each trip?

Your experiences and opinions please......:confused::confused::confused::confused:

It depends where you are going and from where you are renting. I plan our excursions based on where most cruisers go - we go the opposite way.

We rented from the Avis at the airport and went to east side of the island - then Rum Point and beyond. There was no traffic or problems. We did not go to a car rental around Seven Mile Beach as that area is very crowded and we did not want to go to the turtle farm or Hell (north of Seven Mile Beach).

Have Fun!

Well, perhaps I am the only one to differ. If you only want to take in a becah stop on Seven Mile Beach then I would not recommend renting a car.

Take a taxi or make the short walk to the public bus depot on Edward Street to get to your location. Just flag down a bus or taxi when you are ready to go back. It should be quite convenient and much less time consuming than renting a car. Probably be less money too.

FWIW, I normally only recommend renting a car if you are planning to take in sites further east on the island - anwhere from Grand Harbour on east. Otherwise, stick with the bus or taxi.

OK I'll take BOTH sides. If you're certain all you want to do is the beach, then you don't need a car. But why limit yourself? With a car you'll have the option to go other places as well. What if it turns out not to be the best day for the beach, etc.? Also, don't know which rental you're with, but check Avis - we have one through them late Dec. for $46 - which includes insurance, driving permit, and gas. Either way you do it, enjoy!

How did you get that rate? I'm with Avis also, but the lowest all inclusive rate (without gas) is $53.49 on the website.

All we really want to do is go to a beach. We thought we could head for Cemetary Beach, which we can get to by car or by bus. I don't find pleasure in crowded beaches with rows of beach chairs. We may try another beach or 2, but once again, we can get there either way. With so many cruisers in town for the day, I wonder if the busses will be very crowded and maybe we have to wait in a line for the next bus or next bus?

How did you get that rate? I'm with Avis also, but the lowest all inclusive rate (without gas) is $53.49 on the website.

All we really want to do is go to a beach. We thought we could head for Cemetary Beach, which we can get to by car or by bus. I don't find pleasure in crowded beaches with rows of beach chairs. We may try another beach or 2, but once again, we can get there either way. With so many cruisers in town for the day, I wonder if the busses will be very crowded and maybe we have to wait in a line for the next bus or next bus?

I just double checked and you are correct - my earlier stated rate was the original non-inclusinve rate, and I too am at a similar rate with yours. My mistake - and thanks for making me check! But I still think it's worth the flexibility - maybe to scout out other beaches, or leave to get lunch and come back, etc. But again, it's an individual choice and it will be a great day either way - a very nice island!

I would just take a taxi. From anywhere on 7mb you can walk to surrounding beaches.

A bus also works but would be my second choice.

For what you are thinking of doing, I would forget a car and the time required to pick up, drop off, and potential gridlock returning to Georgetown, if you return when everyone else does.

Archived