Jewell-11 night-do you have any tenders???

if you look up the sailing on the website - it has an itinerary with schedule and ports etc - and it shows if tendered or docked at each port.

We are planning a 50th anniversary for my parents - my mother is in a wheelchair. Do you have to tender in at any of these ports? The ports would be: Aruba, Cartagena, Limon-Costa Rica, Grand Cayman. I so appreciate any feedback on this.

s.gif

Panama Canal (Cruising Canal) 7:00 AM 3:00 PM Tendere

George Town, Grand Cayman 7:00 AM 6:00 PM Tendered s.gif

All the rest say DOCKED

We are planning a 50th anniversary for my parents - my mother is in a wheelchair. Do you have to tender in at any of these ports? The ports would be: Aruba, Cartagena, Limon-Costa Rica, Grand Cayman. I so appreciate any feedback on this.

Definitely Grand Cayman is a tender port. We were on the Brilliance last January for a partial Panama and the time slot that says Panama Canal Cruising 7-3pm was the time it took the ship to transit the Gatum Locks, cruise on the lake and then return. Only people taking excursions needed to get off the ship on a tender. We stayed on the ship and every much enjoyed the transit. Photos in the link below.

Kathy:)

Thank you so much for the info!! My husband and I had gone the full transit last year and it was nice. I'm still reading on the Jewell -- anyone that has sailed on that ship -- does the actual ship go into the locks or do you have to tender in and then take an excursion to cruise the panama --It does list (cruising), however, it also lists "tender." Do they tender once they are inside of the canal to the port of "Cristobal?"

Thank you so much for the info!! My husband and I had gone the full transit last year and it was nice. I'm still reading on the Jewell -- anyone that has sailed on that ship -- does the actual ship go into the locks or do you have to tender in and then take an excursion to cruise the panama --It does list (cruising), however, it also lists "tender." Do they tender once they are inside of the canal to the port of "Cristobal?"

The answer to your question depends somewhat on when you are planning your cruise to Panama on the Jewel. Partial transits of the Canal, (through Gatun Locks and return to Cristobal) will be for this cruise season only, which runs from now until April 09. When the Jewel starts this run again in November 09 the partial transits will be replaced with a stop in either Cristobal or Colon piers. The ship will not actually enter the Canal on these trips.

Presently the tendering in the Canal takes place after the ship goes through Gatun Locks. Only passengers who have booked ship's tours are allowed off at this point. The ship will lock back through Gatun Locks and dock in Cristobal where the tours will rejoin the ship.

It's a great cruise.

It's really not necessary to take any excursion if your ship does the partial canal transit. You will have a navigator onboard telling all about the canal's history, operation, and you'll be seeing the locks operate from onboard the ship. It's really a lovely day on the ship, since many folks will take excursion (and they are all really loooong--about 5-8 hours) so the ship won't have the normal crowds!

When the ship returns to Cristobel Pier, it's a "walk-off" situation, right to the shopping on the pier.

Archived