Need help deciding itinerary/ship

steelerfan7

Due to timing of departures and ability to use airline miles, we are deciding between the following 3 trips (2 have the same itinerary). This is our first trip to Alaska and our 4th cruise. We are in our early 40s and really want a taste of everything to see in Alaska.

1. Diamond/Sapphire Princess

Anchorage

College Fjord

Glacier Bay

Skagway

Juneau

Ketchikan

Inside Passage

Vancouver

2. HAL Volendam

Vancouver

Inside Passage

Tracy Arm/Juneau

Skagway

Glacier Bay

Ketchikan

Inside Passage

Vancouver

3. HAL Zuiderdam

(same itinerary as 2.)

If you recommend the HAL itinerary, which ship do you recommend.

Thanks to everyone in advance for your help.

It's a shame you can't do the northbound on Princess. The views get more spectacular as you go north. But I do highly recommend the Diamond. We sailed her just this last July.

If you have a large group (more than 4 people), book the traditional dining. Sometimes it's hard to get a table for more than 4 in the anytime dining.

I would be inclined to do the Princess ships, they are both very modern and terrific ships. Their itineraries will give the largest taste of Alaska but there is certainly nothing wrong with HAL's Inside Pasage cruises either. I suspect given your age you may be more comfortable on Princess.

You are choosing between a one-way cruise and two roundtrips. Do you have time to spend in Alaska before or after the cruise? If so, then a one-way cruise is the way to go. If not, then I would go with either HAL ship.

Almost all roundtrip cruises stop at only one glacier. You get a bonus with the Zuiderdam/Volendam as they also go to Tracy Arm Fjord. In my opinion, HAL has the best roundtrip itinerary from Vancouver. The Zuiderdam departs on Saturdays and is bigger and newer than the Volendam - which departs on Wednesdays. I've cruised on Volendam's sister ship Zaandam and the slightly smaller Veendam, and HAL's smaller ships have great outdoor viewing areas.

Are you also open to HAL one way?? They too have fantastic one way itineraries. Are you at the very least, spending a couple days additional, so to take advantage of being all the way there?? With two very different itineraries you are listing, they both certainly are good options. I am assuming you do not have your air booked??

For clairfication, the HAL round trip itinerary is excellent since it includes both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. Packs plenty into those 7 days. :)

You will see the "northbound" is better comments. I don't agree having gone both routes many times. There are pluses to both directions. However, northbound is superior going prior to June and Sept., IF You are touring Denali Park, (although shuttle buses do end mid Sept.) and my only recommendation in those timeframes.

Thanks to all of you who replied. We are really handcuffed by using miles. The flight options are limited. The HAL one - ways don't leave on the day we need to. We plan to spend a few extra days in Vancouver/Victoria. We've decided to do the Sapphire Princess. Again thanks for all your suggestions not only on this post but on all that you answer.

Did you check partner awards? Your flight options may not be as restricted as you think. For example we used American AAdvantage miles for a partner award on Alaska Airlines. An added bonus is Alaska required only half the miles AA would have.

Note that a partner award is very different than using miles for a codeshare.

If you say what airport you're flying out of, people may have out of the box suggestions....also post on the Cruise Air forum.

Archived