Melbourne

margord

Yes you can do most things in Melbourne on your own. It is an easy walking city and the Lightrail is right at Station Pier where you dock. You can buy an all day ticket at the kiosk beside the rail. Don't forget to validate it before you start your journey. You can use the ticket on all the trains, trams and buses in our network.

Here is a link to a thread that was on this Board back in early October.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=813644&highlight=Aussie+gal

Jennie

Yes you can do most things in Melbourne on your own. It is an easy walking city and the Lightrail is right at Station Pier where you dock. You can buy an all day ticket at the kiosk beside the rail. Don't forget to validate it before you start your journey. You can use the ticket on all the trains, trams and buses in our network.

Here is a link to a thread that was on this Board back in early October.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=813644&highlight=Aussie+gal

Jennie

Jennie,

Thank you so much.

Marilee

• 4 weeks later...

My husband and I had a great day in Melbourne last month while on a cruise. Before leaving the U.S. we booked a walking tour with Melbourne Greeters. It is a free service of the Visitors Center and provides volunteer guides for half day tours. Our guide was friendly and personable, and took us through many parts of the city, including major sites as well as some incredible Victorian buildings that we never would have found on our own. I would highly recommend this service.

I'd also recommend the Shrine of Remembrance, which we found very moving. It was an easy bus ride from the city center.

I hope you enjoy your day.

Cheryl

My husband and I had a great day in Melbourne last month while on a cruise. Before leaving the U.S. we booked a walking tour with Melbourne Greeters. It is a free service of the Visitors Center and provides volunteer guides for half day tours. Our guide was friendly and personable, and took us through many parts of the city, including major sites as well as some incredible Victorian buildings that we never would have found on our own. I would highly recommend this service.

I'd also recommend the Shrine of Remembrance, which we found very moving. It was an easy bus ride from the city center.

I hope you enjoy your day.

Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl

I second Cheryl's suggestion of the Melbourne Greeters.

We, too, set up an excursion with the tourist office (requested it months in advance), and had the most wonderful day touring Melbourne with Ken Millar, a retired university professor. The service is absolutely free (we did bring a small present for Ken, but it was absolutely unexpected or required). There is no better way to see a city than through the eyes of one of its' "loving" residents. The day was one of the highpoints during a fantastic New Zealand-Australia trip last January and February (land trip and cruise on Celebrity Mercury).

Have a wonderful time!

Cheryl and Sharon,

So glad that you enjoyed visiting our beautiful city. It does have some wonderful places to see and it does help having a guide who loves our city and knows its history.

We hope you will return one day and spend more time here.

Jennie

Cheryl and Sharon,

So glad that you enjoyed visiting our beautiful city. It does have some wonderful places to see and it does help having a guide who loves our city and knows its history.

We hope you will return one day and spend more time here.

Jennie

Jennie,

I am looking forward to touring your lovely city. I understand the Market is also something that should not be missed.

Marilee

Quite a few visitors enjoy our Queen Victoria Market. Besides selling lots of clothes, bags, shoes and souvenirs its main use is a fruit and vegetable market with meat, fish and cheese as well.

The market only sells the fresh produce on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturday mornings. Here is a link to the website and you can work out if you will be in the city on the correct day.

http://www.qvm.com.au/home.php

Jennie

I think you probably can. But you definitely CANNOT bring food from the ship into port in Australia. Actually you can but it must be declared. Its really not worth it.

Plus fresh fruit, as per the above question, would be confiscated if brought in.

Archived