Pet peeve-Cell phone etiquette!

remydiva

Cell phones annoy me anywhere in public. Nobody is so important that they cannot be out of touch for a while.

People who just prattle on about nothing are rude and discourteous.

Unfortunately, it seems to be another infringment upon our privacy and peace........

I just consider the source........they're dopes.

Wow...can't believe the action on this topic.

When I made my comments to the Passenger Services and he passed it on to the CD, they made it seem like I was the first and only person to have been bothered with this problem...and it IS a problem. I also added a comment on the passenger survey that supposedly goes to Santa Clara.

One poster here mentioned that they used their cellphone inside their cabin...good for you:). That is the obvious place to make a phone call...you are comfortable, private AND (here's a brainwave..) it is considerate of others!

Yes, it is ALL of our vacations but if I wanted to walk around buck naked and suntan in the nude on MY vacation, it would not be considerate of others...trust me on this one!:eek:

Yes, it is ALL of our vacations but if I wanted to walk around buck naked and suntan in the nude on MY vacation, it would not be considerate of others...trust me on this one!:eek:

LOL LOL LOL :D:D:D:D

That line just shoots the "It's my vacation and I'll do what I want" right in the butt. Thank you!!!

I thought that when you use a cell phone on board even when you are at port, you run the risk of being hooked up to the ship cell tower and charged ship rate, $2.59 per minute.

My sister was charged this past August on a Holland ship when she called home and the ship was docked.

Any comments:cool:

you dont know me and im glad because im not even like that how ever i seen so much of people on this board complain over the sillest things , from smoking to cellphones to chair hogs my god its thier vacations too. leave them alone and let them have thier fun, im glad im not a complainer nor worry about what morons say , because its my vacation and im enjoying my self... however one should always think before speaking maybe there is a problem at home or something that does need imedate attention , second cant you just walk away and not listen.

Sadly, I don't think you have any real appreciation for the problem. My wife and I were on the CB this past August, a really great cruise. Unfortunately, we ended up on a mansion tour that was marred by a combination ZsaZsa/JoanRivers combo and her husband. There was no where to run, we were on the bus and tour with them. The conversation was indeed inane and hardly life-threatening - unless you count where they were going to meet friends for lunch when they got back (took 4 calls at 110db to sort that out). And while looking at the wonderful gardens and trying to listen to the guide, we got to listen to the Mr of the combo talk to his business partners about when that next meeting could be held, and with who and ... Most of the group was ready to strangle them both.

Yes, it's your vacation too, but no, you don't have the right to interfere with someone else's enjoyment. Simple as that.

There is a solution to the cell phone problem - illegal but still effective. Look up "cell phone jammers" on Google and you will get links to vendors that are not in the US who sill sell you a device that cuts of all cell phone conversations within a defined area. They are against the law in the US but since the company is in England, they will be happy to sell one to you. Small ones with a limited range cost about $300 - IMHO, definitely worth it.

Imagine sitting at a restaurant where the person at the table next to you is having a lou inane conversation on his cell phone. You let him talk for a few minutes and just as he is getting to an interesting point in his conversation, you hit the kill switch on the jammer. Of course, the talker assumes that he has just lost his cell phone connection as it happen all the time and redials. You repeat the jam again until the talker is about to loose it.

Eventually, he will give up.

BTW, I have another gadget that is just as good - the TV blanker. It is called the TVBGone. It has one function - to turn off any TV set. How many times have you been at, for example, at a doctor's office and are forced to sit for an hour waiting for your appointment and being forced to watch talk shows or soaps. The TVBGone takes care of this problem and nobody will ever know who is turning off the set.

Sometimes, technology is good.

DON

There is a solution to the cell phone problem - illegal but still effective. Look up "cell phone jammers" on Google and you will get links to vendors that are not in the US who sill sell you a device that cuts of all cell phone conversations within a defined area. They are against the law in the US but since the company is in England, they will be happy to sell one to you. Small ones with a limited range cost about $300 - IMHO, definitely worth it.

Imagine sitting at a restaurant where the person at the table next to you is having a lou inane conversation on his cell phone. You let him talk for a few minutes and just as he is getting to an interesting point in his conversation, you hit the kill switch on the jammer. Of course, the talker assumes that he has just lost his cell phone connection as it happen all the time and redials. You repeat the jam again until the talker is about to loose it.

BTW, I have another gadget that is just as good - the TV blanker. It is called the TVBGone. It has one function - to turn off any TV set. How many times have you been at, for example, at a doctor's office and are forced to sit for an hour waiting for your appointment and being forced to watch talk shows or soaps. The TVBGone takes care of this problem and nobody will ever know who is turning off the set.

DON

The evil side in me just smiled. Hmmmm.

DON

I had to smile when I read this. Just this morning my husband was threatening to order a cell phone jammer in time for Thanksgiving. We recently had my SIL and her boyfriend over, they were both on their Blackberrys during dinner!

--Junglejane

I thought that when you use a cell phone on board even when you are at port, you run the risk of being hooked up to the ship cell tower and charged ship rate, $2.59 per minute.

My sister was charged this past August on a Holland ship when she called home and the ship was docked.

Any comments:cool:

This shouldn't have happened since the system automatically shuts down when near a land antenna. It could have been that she originated the call before they were close enough to land & it stays connected until the call terminates. (just a guess)

17023521The second we docked at Hilo after four sea days' date=' the masses flipped open their phones with the same hunger as a man crossing the desert with no water!! [/quote']

Sorry, but I LOVE that line!!! LOLOL It is SO my DH!! You'd think the world would fall apart if he didn't keep in touch with work while he's on vacation. He loves to sit out on the balcony and blab away. I try to get him to talk quietly, but that's not easy when he's upset over something that wasn't handled the way he wanted it handled. (Yes, he's a stress case.)

On our next cruise, I'm sneaking out to the balcony at 2am and tossing the cell phone in the big blue ocean. :D:D:D:D Ahh...I literally DREAM of doing that! :cool:

I think you owe an apology.

Agree

No, I don't owe an apology. In her original post, thrusday [sic] typed that her husband is hard of hearing as a result of injuries sustained in Vietnam and then used that fact as a blanket justification for everyone else in the world to be able to speak as loudly as they want on their cellphones. I was merely observing that not everyone on a cellphone is, in fact, a deaf Vietnam veteran. In other words, I was pointing out the logical fallacy of generalizing from the specific. I intended nothing, nor did I write anything, disrespectful of veterans, those who served in Vietnam, or people with hearing disabilities. If you read it that way, you were wrong.

No, I don't owe an apology. In her original post, thrusday [sic] typed that her husband is hard of hearing as a result of injuries sustained in Vietnam and then used that fact as a blanket justification for everyone else in the world to be able to speak as loudly as they want on their cellphones. I was merely observing that not everyone on a cellphone is, in fact, a deaf Vietnam veteran. In other words, I was pointing out the logical fallacy of generalizing from the specific. I intended nothing, nor did I write anything, disrespectful of veterans, those who served in Vietnam, or people with hearing disabilities. If you read it that way, you were wrong.

The sky IS falling! I have to agree with him on this.

Let it go. You DON'T owe an apology and we all know you are not insulting veterans or deaf people. You are correct about the rudeness issues.

I've never understood the need to talk/text incessantly on a cellphone. I have a pre-paid one that I use sparingly (I generally don't go over $15/mo :p). I, of course, take it on a cruise, but there it sits.. turned off in the safe until we disembark. But then, I do use the Internet everyday to check email... go figure. :)

Ok, I'll own up to talking too much on the cell phone on our last cruise. DS7 was at home with my mother. She hasn't spent more than 2 hours alone with a child since I was one (now 35) I checked every day except our at sea day. We had an interior cabin, no signal, so had to call on deck. It is chilly on deck in October in Canada and New England, and windy. I was always on the move if someone came to stand at the balcony or sit where I was. I was giving them space from me. Do you know a woman actually looked at her husband and said "I guess she didn't want us to hear what she was talking about"? Are you kidding me? I was giving them space so they didn't have to hear my conversation with my mother about how to work the tv, and I'm being rude? Whatever, I did try my best to stay away from people. The lesson learned on this trip though, wasn't as much of an etiquette lesson as it was an "oh my God am I dependent on this thing" lesson. My phone battery died. I couldn't find the charger (later found at airport waiting to come home, of course) So, I used DH's phone to call home on. No biggie there. But for some reason, I have come to the conclusion that we as adults don't think as much as we should with cell phones in tow. Someone says where to meet and at what time for instance. If you don't remember(or try to remember), it's ok, just call them to find them. Well, that didn't work out for us, TWICE on our cruise. Was supposed to meet DH by the MUTS pool on the port side of the ship at 9:30. Gave up at 10:15 and decided to go eat. He sees me and, "where have you been". I looked for you, blah blah blah. He supposedly passed me up like 3 times. I'm not small, and don't realize how I could have been overlooked. Strike 1. 2 days later, go down to tender. Crew member says we need tender tickets, go to Explorer lounge. DH pushes elevator button, I say, I'll take the stairs. Go get the tickets, no DH. 3 trips back to the elevators, from deck 7 to deck 4 and back, and no DH. Finally give up, and call his uncle's cabin to see if he'll call for me, cuz I don't want to miss our tour. He shows up, mad, because he was waiting for me in the Princess Theater. Why? Because he saw people in there, and assumed I was wrong. Common sense would tell you "well, the guy said to go to the lounge, maybe she went there". Nope, with cell phones, you don't need common sense. I teased him when we booked the cruise in May, that I was going to hide his battery for the "crackberry" Kind of wish I had. Oh well, it was still a fabulous time. And next cruise, DS will be with us, so only one call to Mom during the week to check in:)

I have always just turned the phone off and left it in the safe for the trip's duration...I dont go as far as saying all cell conversation's are annoying, as it seems that many people do while on a ship...but as long as other pax are respectful of the relaxing environments around the ship (which I find that most are) its fine

i may have come off not so nice , how ever i dont like being accused of being sick , i do use my cell phone in my cabin at port only and on land , i also use email most of the sea days , the point i was trying to get acrross was some people do have hearing impairment and they dont realize they speak louder then some. i am considerit to others as i know i dont want them to hear me talking to anyone ,its non of thier business , i should have cleared it better but sometime it dont happen that way when you post . but i also can not see if a person who pays for a balancy room being put down because they are out there talking on thier phone ,, as i will say im sorry about the way i came off , but i do see alot of people getting upset over things that really shouldnt matter to them. cell phones arent going away, so again the statement of me being rude and using my husband , is not correct i was trying to give examples of sernoros.,,i dont care if some one s on thier cell phone on thier balancy and is talking loud i can always go to a different location , i dont care if people play thier car music too loud its thier ear drums not mine , i can care less if you have sex on the balancy thats youre choice , i can always close my curtains , why let others ruin youre vacation when you can make a choice on not allowing them to ,, unfortuantly i do fine some of the people remarks to newbies rude,, and thats how i feel , again if you think im That way then you judge without meeting me ,thats fine as well , but i think everyone should be able to do what is allowed and where its allowed without others complaining about it. if they didnt want cell phones they would never have made it possible,

what i am saying is when others think people are screaming , they might be hard of hearing , and being on thier balancy is thier area to do what they please , even if its talking on the cell phone as far as dinners in dinning room no. in a movie theater no. going ashore why not its thier time. the main thing is dont always think because some one is screaming they are doing it on purpose they might have a hearing problem..

I understand what you're saying ...

I figured eventually someone would; I gave up after the 2nd try :D

i can care less if you have sex on the balancy thats youre choice , i can always close my curtains , ,

You can have sex on your balcony????:eek:

I guessed I missed that in the Princess Patter!

I knew you could have a champagne breakfast and supper served on your balcony but THIS?! Who knew! :rolleyes:

Thrusday

I sure won't close my curtains if someone was having sex on their balcony, and I won't report them either. I would be out there listening. You don't seem to me like the type of person that would just close their curtains and ignore it. I am not saying that you would be like me out listening to the fun either.

This shouldn't have happened since the system automatically shuts down when near a land antenna. It could have been that she originated the call before they were close enough to land & it stays connected until the call terminates. (just a guess)

Nope, the ship was docked for some time, in fact she went off the ship, forgot to make the call home, then went on deck to call.

The only reason is, it was a port where a you need to shuttle back and forth to the ship. Maybe this made a difference.:cool:

Nope, the ship was docked for some time, in fact she went off the ship, forgot to make the call home, then went on deck to call.

The only reason is, it was a port where a you need to shuttle back and forth to the ship. Maybe this made a difference.:cool:

It could be but I think the system is set up to be shut down when in port period. I think it would be illegal to capture a cell phone signal when there's a lane based signal available.

If it were legal, I could set up a system at my home & charge everyone within range a service charge like it or not.

A table mate on a HAL cruise out of Tampa a couple of years ago talked on her cell phone ALL DURING DINNER! We were evidently close enough to shore so she could get a signal. Needless to say, we switched tables. The second night we were put at a table for 8 where 6 of the people had already bailed after the first night and we spent an awful evening with the couple who were left. After that we justs gave up and got a table for two.

With Anytime Dining, we had tables for 6 on our recent Maasdam cruise and met a different group of really nice people each night.

Archived