Price Drop Question

fletch101

Hopefully someone can clear-up some confusion. Let's say that I booked a cabin (OV Guarantee) for three (through a TA) that cost me $3000. I have paid in full. My cruise is 40 days away. According to my documents, if I were to cancel I would be charged a $250 cancellation fee per person. I notice that the cost of my cruise has decreased $400. Will I get an OBC or upgrade ? Or do they take the cacellation fee into consideration ? In other words the price drop must be greater than the cacellation fee ($750) in order to receive the OBC ? :confused:

I can't be certain about Carnival but here's how it would work on Royal Caribbean: Assuming that the lower fare was not for new bookings only, you would call up and ask for the lower price. They would adjust your fare to the lower price and would refund the money back to your credit card. It would not be considered cancelling and rebooking so there wouldn't be any cancellation fees or changes to the taxes or surcharges.

The best thing to do though would be to call up Carnival and ask what it would take to get the lower price.

I can't be certain about Carnival but here's how it would work on Royal Caribbean: Assuming that the lower fare was not for new bookings only, you would call up and ask for the lower price. They would adjust your fare to the lower price and would refund the money back to your credit card. It would not be considered cancelling and rebooking so there wouldn't be any cancellation fees or changes to the taxes or surcharges.

The best thing to do though would be to call up Carnival and ask what it would take to get the lower price.

My reservations are not booked directly to Carnival. I am going through a Travel Agent. I don't believe calling Carnival will help.

You will have to call your TA and have them call Carnival. They can tell you if the fare is applicable to your booking or not. Or what the risks or rules would be on cancelling and re-booking even with the penalty. Some offers are not applicable to re-booking under those conditions...depends on the offer. Some TA's are quite willing to go to bat for you and at least try for OBC, some say upfront that there are no adjustments after final payment date.

Ok I'll try to clear up some misunderstandings. As a TA I can tell you ALL pricing is controlled by the cruise line. If the rate has dropped most cruise lines will allow the difference to be refunded or OBC, the latter is what Carnival prefers. The main sticking point is if its in penalty, you are sort of against a wall since the cruise line knows that you have limited options. NCL policy is that they will not adjust after PIF .

In conclussion..it never hurts to ask all they can do is say NO.

Ok I'll try to clear up some misunderstandings. As a TA I can tell you ALL pricing is controlled by the cruise line. If the rate has dropped most cruise lines will allow the difference to be refunded or OBC, the latter is what Carnival prefers. The main sticking point is if its in penalty, you are sort of against a wall since the cruise line knows that you have limited options. NCL policy is that they will not adjust after PIF .

In conclussion..it never hurts to ask all they can do is say NO.

I've noticed that my cruise rate has dropped by a little bit (like $20 pp or something like that). Should I wait to see if the price drops even more and call Carnival to try to get OBC, or should I be calling each time I see a price drop?

Hopefully someone can clear-up some confusion. Let's say that I booked a cabin (OV Guarantee) for three (through a TA) that cost me $3000. I have paid in full. My cruise is 40 days away. According to my documents, if I were to cancel I would be charged a $250 cancellation fee per person. I notice that the cost of my cruise has decreased $400. Will I get an OBC or upgrade ? Or do they take the cacellation fee into consideration ? In other words the price drop must be greater than the cacellation fee ($750) in order to receive the OBC ? :confused:

One thing no one has mentioned.... if you had a OV guarantee, Im betting you now have a assigned cabin. The new category has to have dropped in price. For instance you are now in a 6C cabin, so the 6C price needs to have dropped to get the OBC. ... or you can give up the assignement and take the OBC and take the chance you wind up in a 6A on the bottom deck.

If you are only 40 days out, Im betting you have a assigned cabin, so the price of the OV guarantee is no longer something to compare, unless you give up your cabin.

I've noticed that my cruise rate has dropped by a little bit (like $20 pp or something like that). Should I wait to see if the price drops even more and call Carnival to try to get OBC, or should I be calling each time I see a price drop?

Carnival has become a stickler about price drops. Sometimes saying you can only get one, or two. By the third time they may tell you no. So, its up to you if you want to try to get the price drop now or gamble and wait.

Carnival has become a stickler about price drops. Sometimes saying you can only get one, or two. By the third time they may tell you no. So, its up to you if you want to try to get the price drop now or gamble and wait.

Carnival is the worst right now(from my side of it) I have seen 3, 4 5 price reductions on one reservation. Their policy used to be 1 reduction and thats it.

One thing no one has mentioned.... if you had a OV guarantee, Im betting you now have a assigned cabin. The new category has to have dropped in price. For instance you are now in a 6C cabin, so the 6C price needs to have dropped to get the OBC. ... or you can give up the assignement and take the OBC and take the chance you wind up in a 6A on the bottom deck.

If you are only 40 days out, Im betting you have a assigned cabin, so the price of the OV guarantee is no longer something to compare, unless you give up your cabin.

Actually I don't, as yet, have a cabin assignment. I'm wondering, since the OV guarantee is the least expensive of the Oceanview cabins and the price has dropped, maybe I should contact my TA now. If I wait until I have an assignment, it may not allow me to take advantage of this drop in price. Does that sound right ?

i have a little question..

i've been checking out other sailing roll calls and noticed one man say that he had gotten 4 price reductions before his cruise..

my question is.... i've called twice since booking my cruise coming up (I booked directly with CC), and both times they reduced my price, put money on my OBC and upgraded my room.

how many times/ how often should i be calling them?

and why are we getting all these discounts?

thanks!

i have a little question..

i've been checking out other sailing roll calls and noticed one man say that he had gotten 4 price reductions before his cruise..

my question is.... i've called twice since booking my cruise coming up (I booked directly with CC), and both times they reduced my price, put money on my OBC and upgraded my room.

how many times/ how often should i be calling them?

and why are we getting all these discounts?

thanks!

I was on the Summit 3 years ago to Hawaii and got 2 price reductions (and one was after I had already paid in full) - credit was given back to my credit card and not as an OBC. My TA was great! As soon as I saw the price drop, he called the cruise line and the credit was instantly refunded the same day. I can see where other TAs may not take the time to do this or may tell you it can NOT be done but if you ask nicely and stick by your guns, yes, it CAN be done!

Archived