Grand Cayman - More then Beach?

pmetiv

We are going to Grand Cayman for the first time in December and were wondering what to do there. It looks like most people do the stingray tour and we are not into that.

What have you done that you liked in GC?

Have a favorite beach? Why?

Thanks for your recommendations! :)

Pierre

That is a shame you arent into the Stingrays...It is an opportunity of a LIFETIME! The sand bar is shallow - hip to waist deep water. No need for a life jacket or even to swim. The large ones are females; the small ones are the males...hm....And as I hung out there a couple weeks ago, I saw maybe TWO (or maybe the same one twice) that hadnt had it's barbs removed.

I close my eyes. I feel something soft graze my leg as in an affectionate rub. Then another. I feel the light drizzle on my face as I try to maintain balance in chest-deep water. The waves are growing, but manageable. No sun today, but who cares – we are already wet! I hear the shrieks of delight, and of surprise. One cannot keep eyes closed for long here. The rays of all sizes surround you as if they are happy to see a long, lost friend. Yes, I said rays. Stingrays. They seek attention like a puppy or kitten. If you do not stay aware of your surroundings they will startle you as they glide by. Shuffle your feet in the sand. Do not grab their tails. Plant a kiss on one for the mythical 7 years of good luck. I wonder, will two kisses mean 14 years?? Can you say GRAND CAYMAN in sting ray city?

We usually take a cab to the Reef Grill / Royal Palms. We spend the day at the beach and return early to shop before going back on board.

Visit their website and check out the beach cam. Makes me want to be there now!

reefgrill dot com

Do you remember how much was the cab ride? Can you rent beach chair there?

Thanks for your answer.

Pierre

Our first trip we went to the turtle farm, Hell and the rum cake factory along with underwater sub. Our second trip we went to the Govenors home, rum point (a beautiful beach) and touring the other side of the island. We have never done the traditional stingray city tour. We love GC and always find lots to do! We enjoy learning a little of the history. If you are game you can rent a car and drive to rum point on your own. It is about 45 minute from the tender pier and they drive on the left. We enjoyed seeing the area away from the traditional tourist areas! Hope this helps!

Do you remember how much was the cab ride? Can you rent beach chair there?

It's about $4 US per person (each way) to Royal Palms, and about $6 to Sea Grape. Both of those sections of Seven Mile Beach have restaurants, restrooms and showers, chair/umbrella rentals, watersports rentals, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived