Puerto Vallarta Info

pvpam

I am going to do the same as Acapulco Authority. I too am happy employed as a nurse with an air and ground ambulance company. I have lived in Vallarta for 14 years so I have a fair amount of information on the area which I am always happy to share with tourists! And, as well, my office is located across the street from the terminal marina, so I am always easy to find should anyone want to drop by for a map and directions to things! So, post all the questions you want and I will be happy to assist!

That's great that you're going to help us all.

Our group will be in PV on Nov. 17th. We've booked a ship excursion to go sailing in the Bay of Bandaras basically for the day. No snorkeling....just sailing. Do you know anything about this excursion from others? We're kind of sorry now that we tied up our whole day with this one trip. We could still cancel if there's something better out there.

Thanks for any input! I'm bringing magazines. :D

I will try to answer a few of those questions as I see you are waiting for the answers.

The weather can be checked on www.wunderground.com

Normally this time of year it will be very nice and sunny, not too hot.

Judith you cannot see (or very little of it in the distance) Los Arcos from the ship, which docks on the northern part of town.

It is situated south of the old center of town. You can either see it by making an excursion that goes to the southern part of the bay (Directions of Mimaloya or Yelapa). Be it an organised tour, watercab or even from the road that goes to Mismaloya.

Donot forget to stop then in the old town center and the malecon (boulevard on the sea).

Sorry, Calicat I cannot help with the sailingship, but maybe you can find something in the site:http://www.puertovallarta.net

Our shore excursion says we will stop at Mismoya (sp?) beach and see it from there. Can you confirm this for me, please. Also it says we will stop at Chee Chee's for a "refreshing drink." Do you know this place? Excuse my stupidity, but are Los Arcos and Lands' End the same thing or different places? Thanks.

Judith,

Yes on your tour to Mismaloya (very nice beach and hotel) you will pass Los Arcos and see it from the road or from the ship. It is not clear to me whether you drive or sail to Mismaloya. Sometimes excursionships stop there for a snorkeltrip if the water is clear enough.

Anyway, it is south of P.V.town directly on the bay.

I have heard from Chi-chi-s, have not been there, but it seems to be a very nice place.

As far as I know Lands End is in Cabo, not in P.Vallarta.

Lands End in Cabo can be done with watercab or tour. Also a great place, I was there again (and in P.V.) last october.

Judith, I just realize that in Cabo there is also Los Arcos.

Those in P.V. are 2 big rocks sticking our of the ocean, of course with an arch in it.

Those in Cabo are close to Lands End and can be done in the same tour. Probably this Los Arcos is more famous, but is smaller.

First, yes, normally I WOULD check my email daily BUT I don´t have a computer at home right now (In the computer hospital) and I have done 5 air ambulance flights to the US this past week, 18 ground ambulance transfers plus short on staff. So..I will try and do better in the future!

CALICO: I am not sure which sailboat you are going on. I would bet though that it would be a great day (although probably not actually "sailing" each day because the winds are not so good in the mornings!). You will see Vallarta from the shoreline, beautiful views. What boat are you going on?

CISHIP: Within walking distance from the ship, there really are not any restaurants nearby. You can easily take a taxi to just about anywhere. I would suggest taking a taxi to La Palapa on the southside, Los Muertos Beach. You will be not too far from the Marina area, although not walking distance and there are plenty of great restaurants there!

JUDITH: You will probably be able to see the Los Arcos from the ship but at a long distance and it´ll just look like a few rocks sticking up out of the water. In reality, not too pretty but great for snorkeling.

BEACHTRAVEL Weather is GORGEOUS! Clear, warm days, balmy evenings.

JUDITH Mismaloya is the beach area where Night of the Iguana was filmed and a really pretty area (the set is still there).Chee Chees is a FANTASTIC view, right on the beach but up high overlooking the water. Depending on when you will be here, you probably will see some whales and dolphins!

Thanks everyone.

Hi Pam

Thanks for the suggestion for Los Veranos, we had a great time in the trees!

I did tell Randi to call you when we got to Mazatlan, so you should hear from her soon if you haven't already. Hope you enjoyed the magazines! I've got another stack started for our next trip, altho it unfortunately won't be soon :(

It was great meeting you!

Hola Pam,

I tried to email you directly - but I am no longer able to via the cc boards.

We will be in PV early next April (04/06/04)

Any thoughts on if the whales will still be around. Some whale watching sites indicate that they end in March, others say April and still others said May.

I know you have no way of knowing - but was curious what your experience would indicate.

Muchas Gracias

Mark

PVPam or anyone else who can help -

DH and I will be in PV in early Feb. We are definitely doing los veranos canopy tour. Then I was thinking about an evening cruise, either the Rhythms of the Night or the Sunset Pirate Cruise. I was thinking Rhythms because it seems more romantic, but I've heard good things about the Pirate. Do you have a recommendation one way or the other? Or could you provide pros/cons to each?

Also, I have read a review about the water being really rough and people getting really sick - is that a seasonal thing, or is it always pretty rough? (DH can get a bit seasick on a small boat)

THANKS!

Pam and others. We have returned from our cruise and I just wanted to say that PV was/is absolutely beautiful as we "sailed" (motored, actually, but who cares?) up the coast. We went clear to the North end of the Bay, then sailed back to the Marina. It's called the Sailing Adventure and for anyone thinking about it, it was a fairly small sailboat with just pads in the center to sit on, so it was pretty uncomfortable for the 5+ hour ride. 3 hours would be plenty.

But, I wanted to say to anyone contemplating or planning a boat ride in the Bay that we saw manta rays leap right out of the water, splash back down and leap some more! It was fantastic! So, keep your eyes peeled if you're on the water.

We also were super lucky and saw humpback whales right outside the marina bay in Cabo San Lucas. I know it's early, but they are there. They could also be off PV then. Watch from the ship for porpoises. We saw dozens of them on the way back to L.A. Just awesome! Take your binoculars!!!

Thanks for your help, Pam. Your city is beautiful!

Linda

PVPam or anyone else who can help -

DH and I will be in PV in early Feb. We are definitely doing los veranos canopy tour. Then I was thinking about an evening cruise, either the Rhythms of the Night or the Sunset Pirate Cruise. I was thinking Rhythms because it seems more romantic, but I've heard good things about the Pirate. Do you have a recommendation one way or the other? Or could you provide pros/cons to each?

Also, I have read a review about the water being really rough and people getting really sick - is that a seasonal thing, or is it always pretty rough? (DH can get a bit seasick on a small boat)

THANKS!

Linda,

Did anyone respond about the eveing cruise? I would also like that info.

JOni

PVPam,

Nice to have someone on site to bounce ideas of off. We will be in PV on 13 Jan 04 on the NCL Sun. We want to walk from the Marina to the Malicon to see the statues and browse through some shops. We will walk back to the ship. We both are in great shape and would enjoy the exercise. Is there any precautions we should take for our safety? We have been to PV a couple of times before however the last time was just after the hurricane, (in November of 2002 if I remember correctly) and the place was pretty torn up so didn't venture out very far. Ok, back to the subject. Is there a nice place to eat along the Malecon? Also a tienda or supermarcado would be nice as we collect Coka-Cola cans or bottles from everywhere we've been or directions to the Marcado Central would be nice too, where we could to pick up some vanilla beans (we've used up the ones we bought in Mazatlan last trip) and some of the local dried chiles.

Thanx in advance,

I am not sure who I am directing all this too, so I will just post and hope I touch all the questions :)

Rhythm's of the Night hands down for sunset cruise.

The Marigalante tour at night is not for kids, it is the day one that is family based. Been on both, and I personally feel the Rhythm's is much better, plus you dine on land, not in the belly of the boat.

Vallarta is extremely safe. Been a tourist here since 98, moved here a little over two years ago. I am 5 feet tall and about 110 pounds...and I am out and about all hours of the day with absolutely NO problems! In fact I feel 100% safer here than in Minneapolis where I lived most of my life. Crime here is minimal, NO GUNS, little drugs, and police everywhere! (If you see them with lights on, that is the norm, as they want you to see them! Makes it easier to find one if you need one as well as it is a deterent!)

The walk from the Marina to the Malecon is a bit long, but feasible. I suggest just hopping on a bus heading south (Marked Centro) and get off right before the Malecon where it takes a left at the Park. (Parque Hildalgo) right by the Hotel Rosita. Or just take a cab for less than 5 bucks. (make sure it is a yellow cab as the white are Federal Zone and cost more!)

I think there is a shop (if not 10) on every street. You will be exhausted from shopping in a few blocks!)

Vanilla Beans can be bought at Memo's Pancake house on Basilio Badillo (Restaurant row) or at Agro Gourmet a couple of blocks down Basilio Badillo towards the ocean.

As far as romantic restaurants by the cruise ship dock, there is the Marina Boardwalk which is very close by, but you may want to take a cab... so tell the cab driver Portobello and he will drive you to the entrance of the Marina Boardwalk where there is at least 20 restaurants (Including Porto Bello) and tons of shops.

Of these restaurants, PortoBello is awesome for Italian. Mr. Cream for breakfast, Victor's Cafe Tacuba for fun, the Port Hole, Fajita Banana and tons more- they all have menus out, so just look at them and decide.

Also, the whales are in the Bay, just saw two today! Weather is gorgeous as well!

If you want more info, feel free to check out my Vallarta site, just click on my "here" link on my signature....

I haven't cruised for a couple of years, although I am hoping to visit the Caribbean next year, in the meantime, I live in my little paradise and hope my info helps all of you get the best out of Vallarta! :)

LINDA: I am so glad you had a good time - we here, think PV is beautiful as well!

MJMILLER: Rhythms of the night is a great tour for couples - very romantic. You are not on the boat that long so not much chance for seasickness-rough water. Marigalante is a fun boat as well, but because of the shape of the boat, tends to rock back and forth quite a bit, causing upset tummies for many.

SEABUM - No whales by April. You might see some on your cruise, outside of the bay but by April, most of them have left. Still lots of dolphins though!

MANDYPUP: MIL GRACIAS. I am still looking for time to read!!!!!!!!!

bz1: Thanks for the info about the Malecon. The walking part will probably be depending on the weather. Plus, with the bus info on your website, we will use the bus as a back up (sounds like fun). And the vanilla bean info is appreciated.

I think the high in Minneapolis is 35 today (low of 25.) PV seems like a good choice.

Thanx again

• 3 weeks later...

Pam,

Somewhere on this board I have read that we can book the canopy tour thru you early???? We will be in PV on March 15 with the Diamond Princess and would love to book that for 4 of us.

Also, will the whales still be around in mid March?

Thanks for your help!

Pam

Archived