Pros/Cons Panama Canal vs. Caribbean in December?

tbmrt

We did the Legend's Western Caribbean cruise last year and want to do something in 12/08.

Would appreciate your input as to pros and cons of a Panama Canal cruise vs. Caribbean in December. Will the weather in the Bahamas be too chill for swimming?

Thanks

Barbara

PS I apologize if this is a duplicate posting. I thought I posted this today, but couldn't find it.

It really depends on where you're from, as to whether it's too chilly to swim in the Bahamas! Folks from northern climes tend to think any water over 70 degrees is swimable! I won't go in unless the water is at least 82 or so!

It will be warm enough to sunbathe in the Bahamas--and you may not get hot enough to have to take a dip!

Of course, the S. Caribbean's water is cooler than those areas closer to the gulf stream...I found the water in Aruba and GC to be pretty chilly even in late May. The ocean currents have alot to do with how warm the water is. The land temps. will be great no matter which route you take.

I would choose the Caribbean because most Panama Canal cruises start at one port and end at another. That tends to make the air fare for me considerably more expensive with two one way trips. Caribbean cruises we consider leave and come back to the same port so we can get round trip air.

We went on a western Caribbean cruise at Christmas in 2005 and it was HOT in the Yutican and Belize. The winds were pretty strong so on sea days there wasn't good ship's pool weather.

I would vote for the Panama Canal cruise. We did this trip on RCL Brilliance this past January. It was my favorite cruise so far. We loved going through the locks on the ferry and getting quite a history lesson. It was fascinating.

I don't know about water temp; we don't do the beach thing.

Archived