Los Angeles Port- nearest car hire is where??

oz5

Hi, We are crusing from Los Angeles in March and will be staying in Disneyland before hand. We will have a hire car and need to hand it back on route to getting the cruise ship.

Does anyone know which car hire companies are nearest the port?? Can you drop the car and get a shuttle bus or cab to the ship? There are 5 of us so the bus works out pretty pricey I think.

Thanks guys. :):)

I can`t remember the name but we found one (probably in the internet) which is just across from the port. We hired a car for the day when we stopped at Los Angeles. We were pickied up and dropped at the quayside but the car hire office was only a minute away.

Are you sailing out of Long Beach?

If so, I'd recommend renting (hiring) a car at LAX, drive to Anahiem (Disney) drop everyone off at the cruise pier, drive to the Long Beach airport (15 minutes from pier), and return to the pier in a cab.

I'd also recommend renting a car with a navigation system in it. Hertz uses a Megellan (Hertz Neverlost) and it's only $10 a day. I never go into a new city without one.

Hi, We are crusing from Los Angeles in March and will be staying in Disneyland before hand. We will have a hire car and need to hand it back on route to getting the cruise ship.

Does anyone know which car hire companies are nearest the port?? Can you drop the car and get a shuttle bus or cab to the ship? There are 5 of us so the bus works out pretty pricey I think.

What airport are you flying into in the LA area? There are five airports in the area.

What cruise port? There are two of these. Long Beach or San Pedro ?

What hotel and where are you staying?

I can`t remember the name but we found one (probably in the internet) which is just across from the port. We hired a car for the day when we stopped at Los Angeles. We were pickied up and dropped at the quayside but the car hire office was only a minute away.

We were at San Pedro:cool:

If you are going to rent a car from the airport, I would suggest Enterprise. They have many offices. You can drop your family at San Pedro and return the car to any of three offices in Long Beach. It is six miles between two ports. I am sure Enterpise will take you back to San Pedro.

Take care and Have a great time.

Marie

While I'm usually one of those who are gung ho about car rentals, I'd like to ask a question. Are you going to Disneyland and staying solely there or do you plan to do some other touring around the area? If you're planning on flying in, going straight to Disney (and staying either on property or within walking distance), and then going to the pier, a shuttle service might be a good way to go. I know there are many shuttles from the airports to Disney. I don't know so much about shuttles from Disney to the piers. As an FYI, LAX is not the closest airport to either the cruise piers or Disney. Long Beach is closest to the cruise piers and is closer to Disneyland than LAX (by about 10 miles, I think). It's a great airport, IMO. However, it is smaller, has fewer flight options, and can be more expensive to fly into. But I wanted to let you know that it might be an option.

I'm not sure which companies have locations close to the pier, but I'd check for locations in Long Beach or San Pedro for your dropoff. If you fly into LAX, then Porthopper2009's suggestion to pick up at LAX and drop in Long Beach or San Pedro is an excellent one.

beachchick

I'll have to side with beachchick on this one. While a rental car may seem at the outset to be a good idea, it all depends on what your needs are. If you are staying on the Disney property, you will more than likely park your car and leave it there the whole time. Shuttles would be the best way to go in this scenario.

If you plan on several side trips, a car may be the way to go, just get a good map and use GPS, I've lived in Southern CA most of my life and I get lost all the time.

Another option would be to shuttle to Disney from the airport and back to the port, renting a car from an agency close to Disneyland for just the day, if you have a side trip somewhere else.

If it were me, I'd probably rent the car at the airport and return it to the airport. If your cruise begins or ends on a Sunday, the only rental agency close to the port, Enterprise, is not open on Sundays.

If you're sailing out of San Pedro, Enterprise is the closest. It's right in the Doubletree Hotel. However, we rented from them in Jan. and had major problems with them billing us $1500 for damage we didn't do. We finally got it worked out, but it was a big hassle. We suspect an employee did the damage and blamed it on us. The office marked that we dropped the car off after hours and used the key drop. We took it to the office during work hours, and an employee drove us to the dock in the car which is when we suspect the damage was done. We won't rent from Enterprise again.

Archived