I may be cruised out...say it isn't so!

remydiva

Just back from a 14 day cruise to Hawaii and back (first time with a 14 day cruise) and I feel bummed out and wonder if I'm tired of cruising?

I normally come home and immediately start looking and planning the next one...in fact I put down my deposit for a future cruise credit.

But nothing is appealing to me right now....has anyone else ever had 'post cruismatic stress syndrome'????

:confused:

Just back from a 14 day cruise to Hawaii and back (first time with a 14 day cruise) and I feel bummed out and wonder if I'm tired of cruising?

I normally come home and immediately start looking and planning the next one...in fact I put down my deposit for a future cruise credit.

But nothing is appealing to me right now....has anyone else ever had 'post cruismatic stress syndrome'????

Well, from your signature... it looks like you need... a Mediterranean cruise! Lots of port days and culture... :D

I LOVE cruising (and sea days) and can assure you that I've felt the same way after some of my 14/15 day cruises. Thankfully it is short lived :D. I think 10 - 12 day cruises are my ideal, as far as getting back and wanting to go out to sea again. 14 days is a long time to be away from home and a daily routine. It is also a long time to be eating off the (basically) same menus (especially breakfast) and still have that enthusiam for it all.

I am curious to hear how others feel after 14, 20, and 30+ day cruises.

If you still feel this way after two months, I suggest a visit to your Doctor of choice ;).

We have been on 12 cruises since 2000 and I felt we were cruised out so I came home and canceled our cruise for Sept 2008 and decided a land vacation instead of a cruise was what we needed. We went to Aruba.

Came home and cancelled our next Sept Cruise on Carnival Pride and rebooked to Aruba.

Still kept our February Cruise on the Crown. Dont know if its our last one or not. Will know after the cruise.

Our longest to date has been 27 nights. My wife has set an arbitrary limit of 30 days, which precludes an around the world cruise.

Actually, I think three weeks is ideal. I love sea days, and have never been bored.

You have a valid point about the menus - but as I am not a "foodie", it works out OK. Truth be known, I am ambivalent about food, but eat because I have to.

For the first time in several years, I don't have a cruise booked. I have a land vaction booked and I am not really looking for a cruise. The last couple have seemed to be the same old, same old. I think taking some time away from cruising might be the thing for me.

I am a little worried about this on a world cruise. But the ports should make up for it and the fact that I can say I went around the entire world. I sure hope the chef is able to mix the menu up.

I would suggest trying different cruise lines. We loved Princess when we first started sailing on them but Princess's product was a little too uniform for us and after a few cruises I was bored by the food offerings and knew the routine too well. I found the same shows (and sometimes the same staff) on a number of cruises. I tried NCL and loved it! I'm sure if I did as much on them as I have done on Princess I would be getting bored with them to. But for right now I would love to sail them again. Unfortunately they don't offer a world cruise. One nice thing for me is that NCL offers more ethnic food. Some people like me like that others prefer more standard American fare like what is offered on Princess.

Good luck!

Michelle

I went on the Emerald last year round the mediterranean. [12 days] It was wonderful waking up every day to a different sight. Monaco looks super from the ship, like a cut out card.

I can recommend that cruise. We started at Rome and ended in venice...magic.

We did a lot of trips including Pompei, leaning tower Pisa

For the first time in several years, I don't have a cruise booked. I have a land vaction booked and I am not really looking for a cruise. The last couple have seemed to be the same old, same old. I think taking some time away from cruising might be the thing for me.

I too have been looking at land tours (I've done 3 of those too) as an option. And you're right about the 'same old, same old' and another poster mentioning that the Princess product doesn't seem to change much.

So many of their ships all look the same and the menus are the same..I know that on formal nite we will be offered Beef Wellington AND lobster and that, yes, I will order one of each. The shows look the same, the same 2 guys and 2 gals are the leads (or, at least they all start to look the same), the same line dances are taught in the same Vista lounge (or Club Fusion depending on the boat).

i've done RCCI too and to get a new look, I'd have to go up to the even bigger ships and I'm not anxious to do that.

To do the smaller ships is an option I'm also looking at and Seabourn looks good but is way more $$$ even with the Princess discount. 50% of $$$$$$$ is still $$$.

Heavy sigh.....:o

I'm not sure about 'post cruismatic stress syndrome' but I'm having second thoughts about booking for fall of next year because I foresee some price drops due to lack of bookings. For the last two we have on schedule I've seen them both have drops in price just after the final amount was due. For a while until the economy improves & cruising starts to pick up again I'm waiting for all last minute deals - any ship, any itinerary, any outside room.

I would think on a world cruise the cruiseline would most likely add a good mix of menu options. I feel it's harder to do at breakfast though. I've found on the ships I've sailed, they basically have a 7 day menu that repeats each week. On a 14 day cruise it gives one the oportunity to try a different dish that may have looked interesting the prior week. It also gives one the chance to have that fabulous dessert again!

Some of us tend to like something different from the norm in our vacations. Something different from our daily routines. For some of us cruising is the answer.

As suggested, shaking it up with port intensive cruises, cruise/land packages, or just land vacations might do the trick.

"Variety is the only true aphrodisiac."

We found that a 30 night cruise, with a one week pre-cruise stay in Sydney was almost too much. Being away from home for 5 weeks straight took an enormous amount of preparation, and I truly didn't feel caught up until about 4 months after our return. Part of that is because we returned in late spring, and had to immediately start in on yard work, part of it is because I was home for about two weeks and left again for 2 weeks to celebrate a family birthday in another part of the country. I was so incredibly happy to be able to be at home, sleep in my own bed after all that.

Three night cruises, or 10 day B2B cruises work well for us. The Caribbean works well for us (much less preparation); the winter months work well for us. But saying that, we're not cruising like we used to (4+ weeks a year). Part of it is the economy, part of it is other things going on in our lives, and part of it is that, if we're going to limit our cruising to the winter months, and we've already done South America, Australia, Mexico and the Caribbean, we're running out of options. While I don't see us going a full year without at least 2 weeks on a ship, I don't see us stepping up our cruising pace either.

And, yes, I always enjoy coming home after a cruise. While I don't get homesick, there is a routine to being home that I find very enjoyable. I guess I'm lucky in that.

I felt the same way when I got back from the FOS.....

I love cruising but I think we have done the caribbean so many times that it's now same ol same ol...

We would try something different but right now sep 09 liberty is the cheapest 7 day vacation option for us.....

We are only doing 1 cruise next year with the hopes of doing a 10 day in March 2010.

Aahh, PCSD - it may be time to see a Pshrink.

Pshrink speaking:

Liebschen, I am thinking you vant a leetle change in der routine. It is all in der head, und in all things a leetle change ist gut. Vas is dis "bummed out feelink you are heffing ? Is it monotony or just you are not too good feelink in dis time of year? Is der "bummed" from das food, or von das DancingundSingungShows? Ist von der constant service, pampering to your effery need? Or ist von das fact der cruise ist over? Ja?

Eine Kleine Schiff (oops, das ist "a small ship") like die Pacificer Princess or Tahitian or Royal Princess could be das answer. Und Medittereaneanisher cruising ist also gut. Casablanca, Gibralter, Spain vould be sehr different.

Or, darlink, perhaps you just need a break. Take some time off und smell der roses, und then you might be ready to cruise again. Post Cruise Stress Disorder (or PCSD as ve like to call it) goes avay mit time.

Happy sailings, Liebschen!

- Das Pshrink

I felt a little cruised out after my 14 day Med cruise on the Emerald in 5/07, but I think it was because we had already spent 2 weeks in Israel and I was missing my 4 year old at home terribly. It didn't last long because 8 months later I was back to myself.

I think with a little time and a different itinerary you'll be back to health again.

I am cruised out of Mexico and the Caribbean. I don't care to return to either.

I have also done some land trips recently and I do enjoy them also!

I will probably be cruising less (due to not going to Mexico and Caribbean) and that is ok with me.

We didn`t cruise this year but took a few shorter 4 and 5 day breaks in Europe.

With flights added and paying hotels by the day you soon realise how good value for money a cruise really is.

It`s back to cruising in January, thank goodness.:)

Give yourself some time to get back into your routine at home. That may cure you. :D

If not, nothing wrong with taking a land vacation next. That might give you the needed time to rejuvenate your desire for cruising.

Variety is the spice of life!

After our recent 15 day Hawaii cruise in March we were thinking of going back to Hawaii and visiting only 1 island. I checked out prices to fly, hotels, car rental, food etc... and figured it was cheaper to cruise again. We then booked another Hawaii for 2010. Can't wait to go again. We have a caribbean cruise planned in 2009 to hold us over until Hawaii again.

Dan

Archived