Am i the only one??

Bran8778

Why has this thread gone from trying food not cooked on-board ship to the topic of removing food FROM the ship?

Isn't there another current thread for that?

Let's get back to the adventure of local cooking!:)

• 2 weeks later...

We did a private tour in Cozumel (only about $10 pp more than doing a group tour), and our tour guide asked if we wanted to go for lunch someplace that the locals frequent. Of course, we said yes, and it was an amazing--and inexpensive--meal. FYI, the same tour guide also took us to a local grocery store to get the same bottles of hot sauce and such that are in the gift shops near the port for about 1/4 of the price.

My DH and I will be cruising Bermuda, St. Thomas, Grand Turk, and San Juan next summer. What food items shouldn't be missed?

• 2 weeks later...
Why has this thread gone from trying food not cooked on-board ship to the topic of removing food FROM the ship?

Isn't there another current thread for that?

Let's get back to the adventure of local cooking!:)

TELL EM' :)

Alpha thanks for the info :) We had a blast :D

• 2 weeks later...

leavitt1 - Looking for ideas, I will be there in a few days. Did you just catch a private tour when you got to Cozumel? And do you know where you stopped for lunch? I would also like to bring back some hot sauces for family/friends.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Looking at my OP on this thread, two of the highlights of my time in Ocho Rios was the Jerk Shack and the /'hole in the wall" with the awesome patties. And the conch fritters at Mama Marleys and.......

Sure, I've paid for my meals on the cruise ship-----but I have yet to see a cruise ship that served local type cuisine when you are in port (or even out of port, for the most part). Trying local foods give me much more a feel for the countries I am visiting. I have plenty of chances to eat aboard ship on sea days.

On a cruise-or traveling for other reasons-we always eat local food-even from street vendors-the only times either of us have been ill has been from food in US national chain resturants-and that includes eating stuff from street vendors in the middle east and central asia. Food is part of a culture-and the beginning of understand-and generally yummy-some of our best and most memorable times have been over meals shared in some little hole in the wall place in BFE. We do generally drink bottled water unless we know the water supply is safe.

• 3 weeks later...
I dont know why , but every port we stop at I have to eat something!!!

I try to find something authentic, to the island/port city!!

Red Snapper in Costa Rica was the best !!

I love eating in the ports I visit. Just one of the many pleasures of visiting these ports. I can have ship food on sea days!

We love to sample shoreside foods!

Have travelled all over the world on both land and sea....

And yes we sample the foods on street and sidewalk stalls if it looks good.

I have never personally been ill from them - but I don't expect to eat North American style foods in Aisa either. If the raw chicken in the market is covered with flies, don't choose chicken!

I must confess however, I WAS sick on our last cruise: after a meal of tainted lobster at Sabatini's on the Ruby Princess in Oct. 2010, I threw it up! I adore lobster - and having worked out of Northern Newfoundland - I can tell when lobster is fresh. I shjould NOT have eaten that lobster. Three nights later, I had lobster again and it was FINE!

My DH had some poorly cooked eggs in the main dining room for breakfast on that same ship which that had him vomiting for two days. :( Give me street stalls with well cooked meat or a vegetarian meal any day of the week over poorly cooked eggs. Clearly both meals SHOULD have been sent back to the ship's kitchen.

In regards to my first lobster meal, I thought the off taste was due to a different seasoning or unusual herb taste..... I was wrong not to say "I don't like this...what else is there on the menu?"

In regards to DH's poorly cooked (easy over lightly) eggs - he should have sent them back to the kitchen.

I am wiser - but it won't stop me from enjoying well cooked food WHEREVER we find it - on or off the ships!

As a word of caution, if the water in an area is unsafe, forego salads and raw vegetables - unless you peel them yourself.

We love to sample shoreside foods!

Have travelled all over the world on both land and sea....

And yes we sample the foods on street and sidewalk stalls if it looks good.

I have never personally been ill from them - but I don't expect to eat North American style foods in Aisa either. If the raw chicken in the market is covered with flies' date=' don't choose chicken!

I must confess however, I WAS sick on our last cruise: after a meal of tainted lobster at Sabatini's on the Ruby Princess in Oct. 2010, I threw it up! I adore lobster - and having worked out of Northern Newfoundland - I can tell when lobster is fresh. I shjould NOT have eaten that lobster. Three nights later, I had lobster again and it was FINE!

My DH had some poorly cooked eggs in the main dining room for breakfast on that same ship which that had him vomiting for two days. :( Give me street stalls with well cooked meat or a vegetarian meal any day of the week over poorly cooked eggs. Clearly both meals SHOULD have been sent back to the ship's kitchen.

In regards to my first lobster meal, I thought the off taste was due to a different seasoning or unusual herb taste..... I was wrong not to say "I don't like this...what else is there on the menu?"

In regards to DH's poorly cooked (easy over lightly) eggs - he should have sent them back to the kitchen.

I am wiser - but it won't stop me from enjoying well cooked food WHEREVER we find it - on or off the ships!

As a word of caution, if the water in an area is unsafe, forego salads and raw vegetables - unless you peel them yourself.[/quote']

Good points. I never hesitate to return things if I feel they are not cooked to my liking, or I just don't like it. Especially on a cruise, when you have more freedom to do that.

I too love to travel and eat with /where the local eat. I will eat from street vendors local mom pop restaurants as long as it's not a chain senior frog for drinking and dancing on the table).

Now this is what happened in Thailand.

We staying in a beautiful little hotel in Puket, I see a travel magazine with advertising and list of restaurants, since we been eating Thai food for 10 days so far (good staff) and I LOVE Argentine food , I choose this restaurant, they even pick you up from your hotel.

We get there it’s a beautiful romantic site, up on a hill looking at the water topical trees and flowers, little dog resting by out table, there are only one other couple there.

I order the mix grill , it been over 25 minutes I’m still waiting for my food , looking around and the little dog is no where around. I am panicking.

I am ready to leave now , and just as I have to courage to tell my husband that I want to go back to the hotel I’m not hungry anymore the food come to the table and the little dog walking behind the waiter.:D

I don’t think I’ll order mix grill in the Far East again.

• 2 months later...

I eat a very small breakfast on board the ship JUST to do me until I can get to those local foods!!! We had jerk in Jamaica, pastiche in Curacao, fried pork skins (yes, you read right and they were to DIE for!), etc, etc...I think it is SO part of the experience of travelling!!!!!! In fact, my next cruise in in August and I'm already researching places to go for eats!! Can't wait to get to San Juan for some roast pig and mofongo (sp?)!!! And the the gal that posted about the poutine....lol...it's hardly a "delicacy"....good grief, I hope the rest of the world doesn't think the best canada can do for haute cuisine is fries with gravy and cheese! It is fantastic, btw, but I hardly think eating it is living on the edge.

Archived