HELP....Need flight cancelation advice!

Embre

OMG.....United screwed up my return flight. I don't know what to do about it, the last leg of my flight from Seatle to Spokane has been canceled. I either have to wait until the 25th to fly home or get a refund and purchase flights elsewhere which will cost me a over $100pp more (currently that is). Looks like staying in Miami over night may be less expensive, but frankly I just don't know what to do, I am in a panic right now.

Anyone have any advice?

OMG.....United screwed up my return flight. I don't know what to do about it, the last leg of my flight from Seatle to Spokane has been canceled. I either have to wait until the 25th to fly home or get a refund and purchase flights elsewhere which will cost me a over $100pp more (currently that is). Looks like staying in Miami over night may be less expensive, but frankly I just don't know what to do, I am in a panic right now.

Anyone have any advice?

You can drive from Seattle to Spokane, Wendy and her parents do it all the time. The ride is only 5 hours.

Just rent a nice ride.

Fred

Anyone have any advice?

Since you are form the Pacific Northwest, unless you have spent a lot of time in Miami , if you can do it schedule wise, I would stay over in Miami and and explore the city, spend the day at the beach, etc.

First of all, relax. Your vacation shoul dbe a source of happiness and fun, not stress. :)

Second, start exploring yorur options. You've got a month and a half to work it out. 25th is a Sunday, so it shouldn't be a major problem for you to fly home that day, right? You could also consider flying to Seattle and driving to Spokane from there. Assuming you booked air through the cruise line, you should also talk to them about getting an earlier flight to connect to the last flight to Spokane.

Flying out sunday isn't a problem, the expense of a hotel room saturday night is however, as well as the additional expense to book one way air from seatle to spokane, or rent a car (and I am not willing to make that drive anyway).

Is this airfare booked through the cruise line?

If so, talk to Carnival and demand that they put you on an earlier flight rather than a later one. They should be able to reroute you on another airline on the same day. If it's booked through United, they should be able to get you home that day through another hub.

If you had already booked and paid, airlines do not just cancel your flight without rebooking you on another, even routing you through another city. My DH flies United all the time (currently has over 400K ff miles) and has never had a flight cancelled ahead of time without a new one being rebooked.

Anyone have any advice?

Thats what travel insurance is for.They will pay any extra to get you on another flight,pay for a hotel if needed ect.Don't worry,they will cover it all including meals.

Unless you did not get insurance and now you are posting here in panic mode which would have been avoided if you did purchase it.

Did you purchase it?

If you had already booked and paid, airlines do not just cancel your flight without rebooking you on another, even routing you through another city. My DH flies United all the time (currently has over 400K ff miles) and has never had a flight cancelled ahead of time without a new one being rebooked.

Like I said they could re-book me for the following day, which leaves me in Miami for the night.

Thats what travel insurance is for.They will pay any extra to get you on another flight,pay for a hotel if needed ect.Don't worry,they will cover it all including meals.

Unless you did not get insurance and now you are posting here in panic mode which would have been avoided if you did purchase it.

Did you purchase it?

...and how exactly does this fall into the category of "advice", for my current situation. Thanks for your time.

I admittedly made the mistake of thinking that by paying United for there services they were obligated to get me to the appropriate destination on the appropriate date, per the "contract", little did I know they could just opt out of doing so...with no compensation for me when doing so.

That is neither here nor there, I did reschedule and book a room in Miami for the night. Thank's to all of you who bothered with helpful advice and assistance.

I admittedly made the mistake of thinking that by paying United for there services they were obligated to get me to the appropriate destination on the appropriate date, per the "contract", little did I know they could just opt out of doing so...with no compensation for me when doing so.

Actually... I'm not trying to be a wet blanket... but did you read the contract? They didn't break their contract... flights are cancelled everyday, sometimes with just minutes notice, all they have to do is work with you to rebook you, but there isn't a timeline for this either. Airlines cover themselves pretty good... and if they had to compensate everyone for delays and cancellations, none of them would stay in business. I didn't mean to interrupt, just saying that the airline didn't breach their contract. Everyone should always be aware of what their contracts really say... but you can almost guarantee in the case of transportation, it's almost never in your favor.

I'm glad you got it worked out!!! :)

Like I said they could re-book me for the following day, which leaves me in Miami for the night.

...and how exactly does this fall into the category of "advice", for my current situation. Thanks for your time.

That is neither here nor there, I did reschedule and book a room in Miami for the night. Thank's to all of you who bothered with helpful advice and assistance.

How does it fall into the catagory of advice?

I told you to utilize your travel insurance,that was my advice.It now appears that you do not have it.If you did,and thats its function you would not have this issue to begin with.So many people come crying here about a problem that would be rectified with a simple advised option that every TA and PVP try and sell,and that is travel insurance.

If you took their helpful advice you would not have had this issue.:rolleyes:

United screwed up... United should compensate... Get on the phone with a reservations supervisor, explain what is happening and insist that they make it right or put you on another carrier. This is United's problem, not yours... they should make good and you should be able to relax.

Glad you were able to get it worked out. I hope you can enjoy Miami on Sunday.

embre, let me introduce you to the ignore feature that CC has. Go to User CP, and go down to Edit Ignore list. In the box type the name of the user you want to ignore, and click Okay.

After that you won't see the posts by that user.

You may find this feature very helpful.

I have worked for the airlines and when it comes to situations like this its a huge YMMV

Some agents wont give you the time of day. Some agents will do whatever it takes to help you out.

If you don't hear what you want to hear the first time--call back. Keep calling and be persistent. Most importantly be cool and respectful about it--Kill em with kindness sort of speak. I dont know what your particular flight pattern is or where you are traveling from but you may have a better chance and leverage if you offer to fly through one of United's Hubs such as DEN or ORD. If one doesnt work, then try the other.

I just had to deal with United on some major flight changes to my itinerary. I had layovers in cities I did not want to be in. It took 5 calls to get what I wanted but I finally came across an agent that wanted to whatever she could to accommodate me and without charging me. The only hassle was the on hold time and working through the automated system. Just remember that if you say the word "AGENT" you will get an agent on the line instead of working through the voice automated system.

Good Luck

embre, let me introduce you to the ignore feature that CC has. Go to User CP, and go down to Edit Ignore list. In the box type the name of the user you want to ignore, and click Okay.

After that you won't see the posts by that user.

You may find this feature very helpful.

Now that is useful advice. I didn't even know that was possible...Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• 2 years later...

No - it happens. And yes, it happens on United. and other airlines. Just because your husband is fortunate enough to not have had it happen to him, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Perhaps your husband's good luck is due to his elite status. Here's hoping you haven't jinxed his (so far) good luck.

Check into priceline for a room in Miami. I was able to book one at a fraction of the cost when we cruised out of Miami. I can private message you a site that tells you how to bid on hotels.

This thread is from 2008. Pretty certain it's no longer an issue for the OP.:)

Archived