?(No) Trays in Lido

GeriatricNurse

Thanks, Rev! I thought the bickering about HAL possibly going trayless was because that would make things more difficult for the mobile-challenged. So, I now see that it's about making things more difficult for the physically able-bodied folks.

... who are helping people who are mobile-challenged. Just because it's an able-bodied person for whom things are being made difficult doesn't mean that it doesn't also make it more difficult for those who are mobile-challenged. When my Dad was dying of kidney failure Mom -- not too well herself -- daily went out of her way to help him do the most basic things. Just because she wasn't herself ill doesn't mean that it would be okay to make things more and more difficult on her in her taking care of Dad.

What would motivate you, or anyone else, to essentially say: "just because the person doing the work isn't, themselves, ill, it's okay to make it more difficult for them?"

And, honestly, how many passengers on a given sailing have neuropathy or something similar? I'd be willing to bet that they are not traveling solo and have a companion along who would be more than happy to make those extra trips to the buffet.

Quite a bit more than you might think; and, again, why is it okay to make things more difficult for those who are helping others?

Hmmmm....... sounds like a lot of ballyhooing just for the amusement of the ballyhooers.

Sarcasm alert!!!

About trays in Lido. Any solutions yet? Any remedies,or just more statistics,speculation, scenarios and hypotheticals? Is the end near?

Just curious

Actually, yes. As has been reported on this thread already, according to HAL trays will still be made available to those who need them (for whatever reason).

I'm sorry if this disappoints those who want all trays done away with and the situation made more difficult for those who have mobility challenges and, even more especially, for those able-bodied "ballyhooers" who are helping them ... but, that is what HAL has thus far said.

Firstly I would like to say that using a tray does not necessarily mean a person is going to take to much food or over eat. Secondly while i am more then capable to make two or three trips to get my food, drinks and dessert I like the convenience of using a tray. It like it because my food is not getting cold while I get up to get everything else. I do not have to worry about a waiter taking my half eaten plate away because he thought I was done. I am not sure how much it really slows down the line but I am ok with it because really is it any quicker if I have to make several trips. Even though I will have to go to different stations for what I want.

Yes I have seen many people take to much food and over eat in a big way. But is that really the fault of a tray. Will taking away a tray really solve one's eating habit. I don't think so. We all have choices that we have to make each day and those choices will often determine how we react to a situation. We can let it imapct our day negatively or not let it have any effect on us. If HAL has decided to take the tray's away I will adjust and not allow to impact my cruise. Will it be as convenient - not to me, but that is just my opinion as it pertains to me.

Brewster

Actually, yes. As has been reported on this thread already, according to HAL trays will still be made available to those who need them (for whatever reason).

I'm sorry if this disappoints those who want all trays done away with and the situation made more difficult for those who have mobility challenges and, even more especially, for those able-bodied "ballyhooers" who are helping them ... but, that is what HAL has thus far said.

Sooooooooooo, we don't have an issue - everybody a happy camper?:rolleyes:

For the love of Pete, Rev, in no way did I mean any disrespect to anyone. :eek: It is clear this is a very sensitive subject and my attempt at lightening thngs up a tad was taken to mean something other than humorous. I sincerely apologize.

On a more positive note, since HAL's newest ship was built to accommodate trays in the Lido, maybe that's a good sign that they do not intend to discontinue their use. :)

Diane

Sooooooooooo, we don't have an issue - everybody a happy camper?:rolleyes:

As has been said by several, so long as such an option exists for those who need it, there really isn't an issue. That's certainly my position: so long as those who have the need due to disability or circumstance are accommodated by the Line in an reasonable way that doesn't place an unnecessarily burden on them or their caregiver, I don't see a problem.

Likewise, if the Line is going to provide sufficient staff to buss tables, provide beverage service at the tables, etc. (as at the better-quality land buffets), then I like the idea of being able to get what I want on independent trips.

I understand what you're saying ... I truly do. And, I'm certain that for the larger percentage of passengers on the Vista ships this is not going to be any kind of a physical problem. However, just stating the "facts" of this case and the reasoning behind the decision to move this direction doesn't do ANYTHING to address the REAL and PRESENT concerns of a significant percentage of HAL's fleet-wide passenger base which suffer from mobility issues. Let's be blunt: HAL has a very large senior-citizen passenger base, and many of them are going to have valid concerns with their ability to negotiate this system. It doesn't help for you to just marginalize their concerns by saying that this thread is about the "big picture" and, thereby, imply that their concerns can just be ignored. Given the nature of the Line's product, and the fact that it is an industry that prides itself on excellence in its service, HAL will have to address these concerns if/when this new system is implemented on more and more ships.

So, rather than just dismissing their concerns, I'd like to see you speculate regarding how HAL might proactively address them. Remember, just ignoring them or pretending that they don't exist isn't an option. What will HAL do to enable the sizable percentage of their elderly and infirm passenger base to cope with this change? Providing trays to allow the limited number of staff members -- or, alternatively, a small number of able bodied fellow passengers who are traveling with infirm passengers -- to easily transport more two plates at a time is a viable suggestion that shouldn't be summarily dismissed. What other options to address their concerns either exist or could be tried?

At the risk of sounding or being "dismissive" or callous, I honesty just don't think that HAL will or needs to address these concerns. As with ADA, there is a debatable line of where the needs of the disabled must be balanced against the costs or impacts to the general population. So, no matter how hostile this may sound, please don't shoot me for saying that, while the lack of trays will certainly be inconvenient to some, it is not a problem that HAL needs to "proactively address". From what I see, the problem that needs to be addressed is reducing food waste and its associated costs. I didn't t see this thread as solely to find solutions for the mobility-challenged--I was trying to understand the rationale behind the decision and to provide insight on how it might work.

Of course, as I have never sailed HAL, perhaps a problem lies in my assumptions of what a "sizable" or "significant percentage" of mobility-challenged passengers is. So exactly what percentage of passengers are we talking about who have "real" and "present" concerns with making additional trips to the buffet line? From my personal experience on Princess, RCI or Carnival, I am assuming low single digit percentages.

I know that HAL is generally older, but I can't believe it's a quarter of the ship or something like that!

Firstly I would like to say that using a tray does not necessarily mean a person is going to take to much food or over eat....

Yes I have seen many people take to much food and over eat in a big way. But is that really the fault of a tray. Will taking away a tray really solve one's eating habit. I don't think so.

Actually, studies do show that the elimination of trays immediately and dramatically reduces food waste (see my previous post).

The first sentence was addressed to a specific poster. He/she offended more posters than that. An apology to the remaining posters is in order, too.

Holy Moly!! Now you're nitpicking this to an extreme. Get off this poor person's back and accept the apology they offered, even if they didn't use the exact term you desire. It's semantics. Geeze!!

At the risk of sounding or being "dismissive" or callous, I honesty just don't think that HAL will or needs to address these concerns. As with ADA, there is a debatable line of where the needs of the disabled must be balanced against the costs or impacts to the general population. So, no matter how hostile this may sound, please don't shoot me for saying that, while the lack of trays will certainly be inconvenient to some, it is not a problem that HAL needs to "proactively address". From what I see, the problem that needs to be addressed is reducing food waste and its associated costs. I didn't t see this thread as solely to find solutions for the mobility-challenged--I was trying to understand the rationale behind the decision and to provide insight on how it might work.

The thread's OP was reporting the debate over the Celebrity Board and was asking for confirmation regarding the claim that the use of trays had been eliminated in HAL Lidos. As we subsequently learned, the report was exaggerated: it is being tested on two Vista ships, but on 12 other ships trays were still to be found in the Lido. The purpose of the thread, otherwise, was wide-open regarding the subject. My concern, as a poster on this board and a long time HAL cruiser with friends and family members who experience varying degrees of physical incapacity, has been regarding those who have difficulty negotiating the lidos as it is and for whom the absence of trays may be a problem (either for them directly or for those who care for them). As we have discovered in the course of this Thread HAL has been queried on this issue and the response has been that, even on ships where the new system is in-place, trays will still be available for those passengers who have a need for such. Hence, my concern for people who either suffer disabilities or who care for such is addressed.

HAL is in the business of providing service. They have been for over a century, and they are not likely to cease any time soon. Part of offering service has been catering to the needs of their passengers. They're good at it, and I'm sure that will continue. And, since they've been in business for more than a century, it is a certainty that HAL knows how to run an efficient operation; if eliminating trays for nominal use helps in this, I do not blame them for going that direction. What I find interesting -- and sad -- are those who have thought it funny to ridicule, name call, and criticize those who have expressed a concern (for multiple reasons) over this change.

Of course, as I have never sailed HAL, perhaps a problem lies in my assumptions of what a "sizable" or "significant percentage" of mobility-challenged passengers is. So exactly what percentage of passengers are we talking about who have "real" and "present" concerns with making additional trips to the buffet line? From my personal experience on Princess, RCI or Carnival, I am assuming low single digit percentages.

I know that HAL is generally older, but I can't believe it's a quarter of the ship or something like that!

That would depend upon who you ask, the ship, the itinerary, and the time of the sailing. I've been on cruises in recent yeas where there were plenty of younger passengers and where the older, less ambulatory passenger was scarce. That's been true on popular and shorter itineraries in the summer months and during holidays. I have also been on plenty of HAL cruises -- long cruises taken when school was in session -- where I, in my 40s, was among the youngest and most physically active passengers aboard; the traffic for wheelchair assist off the ship significantly slowed disembarkation; most passengers ranged over 60, many over 70, some over 80, and not an insignificant number over 90. On such cruises, there's always a rather high percentage of passengers who need wheelchair assist, or who use walkers, or ride scooters, etc. When I say "high percentage" I mean a figure over 25%.

There are, of course, plenty of HAL cruises now where the passenger base ranges younger -- closer to what you're used to -- however, depending upon the itinerary, ship, and date of the cruise, the age can range toward the VERY high end indeed. Granted, many of those seniors are highly active ... but many are not.

Sixteen pages about TRAYS in the trough that is the Lido? This from a group that usually talks about "quiet elegance" and the like.

If this is something that you can get charged up about you must surely be living a blessed life.

Wow it must really be a slow news day for this to be on the top of your agendas.....

Sixteen pages about TRAYS in the trough that is the Lido? This from a group that usually talks about "quiet elegance" and the like.

If this is something that you can get charged up about you must surely be living a blessed life.

Wow it must really be a slow news day for this to be on the top of your agendas.....

Congratulations.... you just pushed it to 17 pages! :D

I've been cruising and have missed this discussion, and I do not want to go back and read all 16 pages, so bear with me here.

Let me get this straight: I go to dinner in the Lido, I maybe pick up an appetizer, a salad, and an entree--how am I supposed to carry all of this to my table without a tray? How could anyone carry all this to the table without a tray?

Let me get this straight: I go to dinner in the Lido, I maybe pick up an appetizer, a salad, and an entree--how am I supposed to carry all of this to my table without a tray? How could anyone carry all this to the table without a tray?

The same way they carry their breakfast of eggs and bacon, juice, and coffee.

Which is to say, it ain't easy. :rolleyes:

I've been cruising and have missed this discussion, and I do not want to go back and read all 16 pages, so bear with me here.

Not to worry... it's something HAL has been experimenting with on a couple of ships but won't implement fleet-wide.

Diane

The thread's OP was reporting the debate over the Celebrity Board and was asking for confirmation regarding the claim that the use of trays had been eliminated in HAL Lidos. As we subsequently learned, the report was exaggerated: it is being tested on two Vista ships, but on 12 other ships trays were still to be found in the Lido. The purpose of the thread, otherwise, was wide-open regarding the subject. My concern, as a poster on this board and a long time HAL cruiser with friends and family members who experience varying degrees of physical incapacity, has been regarding those who have difficulty negotiating the lidos as it is and for whom the absence of trays may be a problem (either for them directly or for those who care for them). As we have discovered in the course of this Thread HAL has been queried on this issue and the response has been that, even on ships where the new system is in-place, trays will still be available for those passengers who have a need for such. Hence, my concern for people who either suffer disabilities or who care for such is addressed.

HAL is in the business of providing service. They have been for over a century, and they are not likely to cease any time soon. Part of offering service has been catering to the needs of their passengers. They're good at it, and I'm sure that will continue. And, since they've been in business for more than a century, it is a certainty that HAL knows how to run an efficient operation; if eliminating trays for nominal use helps in this, I do not blame them for going that direction. What I find interesting -- and sad -- are those who have thought it funny to ridicule, name call, and criticize those who have expressed a concern (for multiple reasons) over this change.

That would depend upon who you ask, the ship, the itinerary, and the time of the sailing. I've been on cruises in recent yeas where there were plenty of younger passengers and where the older, less ambulatory passenger was scarce. That's been true on popular and shorter itineraries in the summer months and during holidays. I have also been on plenty of HAL cruises -- long cruises taken when school was in session -- where I, in my 40s, was among the youngest and most physically active passengers aboard; the traffic for wheelchair assist off the ship significantly slowed disembarkation; most passengers ranged over 60, many over 70, some over 80, and not an insignificant number over 90. On such cruises, there's always a rather high percentage of passengers who need wheelchair assist, or who use walkers, or ride scooters, etc. When I say "high percentage" I mean a figure over 25%.

There are, of course, plenty of HAL cruises now where the passenger base ranges younger -- closer to what you're used to -- however, depending upon the itinerary, ship, and date of the cruise, the age can range toward the VERY high end indeed. Granted, many of those seniors are highly active ... but many are not.

Thanks for the clarification. :)

My guess is that they'll either convert the Lido to a full-fledged sit-down restaurant in the evening, with no part of the meal being picked up by the individual passenger, or they'll shift it to a full-fledged buffet like many of the Vegas buffets. They'll almost certainly have to do away with the hybrid version that currently exists on most ships.

I almost never eat dinner in the Lido, and have actually only experienced dinner there once, but either option sounds viable.

Archived