?(No) Trays in Lido

GeriatricNurse

How about this...

I'm a non-smoker. How about HAL do away with smoking? How about I say to a smoker..."Hey, it's really not that awful."

Trays and smoking are nothing alike. Trays are a convenience to some people and their usage doesn't affect my experience, so I really don't care what you elect to do. Smoking negatively affects both the smoker and the non-smoker (me and my family) so I care what you do.
You keep repeating this over and over in each one of your responses. NO ONE CARES IF YOU WANT TO USE A TRAY! I, for one, have just been trying to explain the rationale for not having them at a buffet.

If you want to schlepp a room service tray back and forth from your cabin to the Lido, by all means, knock yourself out.

Well said. When I say "it's really not that awful"--it's just my humble opinion and experience. I'm not telling anyone to blindly accept the removal of trays just because I said so. I'm just saying, for those that have not experienced it, it's not a big deal in my opinion. There are pros and cons to every decision, and I'm trying to bring up so pros. If you've already tried it and don't like it, then of course you are entitled to your opinion.

But, as MadManOfBethesda pointed out, the only value of a thread like this is to speak to facts and possible explanations. There's really no point in trying to convince anyone whether they should or shouldn't use a tray--just some possible reasons and possible outcomes or experiences.

the only value of a thread like this is to speak to facts and possible explanations. There's really no point in trying to convince anyone whether they should or shouldn't use a tray...

Really? What about the fun of passing a boring pre-holiday "work" day coming up with snarky, sarcastic, ad hominem attacks to wind people up just for kicks? Doesn't that have any value?:D

Has anyone else made the connection between "the step" on Eurodam and the removal of trays? Coincidence? I think not...

Oh, I don't know; HAL has fourteen ships but only Eurodam has the Lido Rev step. Maybe it's just time for a Tray-holding 101 class or at least a "How to" illustration in that new "From the Captain" booklett that we all get in our cabin nowadays

Really? What about the fun of passing a boring pre-holiday "work" day coming up with snarky, sarcastic, ad hominem attacks to wind people up just for kicks? Doesn't that have any value?:D
Of course, you are right. Otherwise this thread would've ended 175 posts ago. :rolleyes: :D

Saya tidak gila hari ini

I'm not crazy today;)

Thx for the clarification, Copper.

Interesting, this Google translator. Gila translated by itself is Crazy. But if you combine it with Saya tidak or hari ini, the translator changes the word to mad, i.e. I am not mad or mad today.

So I don't know if the Google is extremely sophisticated or just completely Gila.

Thx for the clarification, Copper.

Interesting, this Google translator. Gila translated by itself is Crazy. But if you combine it with Saya tidak or hari ini, the translator changes the word to mad, i.e. I am not mad or mad today.

So I don't know if the Google is extremely sophisticated or just completely Gila.

Try this one on for comfort: Saya marah! Sup dingin!

On 2 of the cruise lines, all the silverware and napkins are already set on every table in the buffet area. So no need to carry it. I also like the idea that RCCL has of having many different areas so that there is not one line at one or two of the buffets.

Honestly, I do not use a tray as I don't get all my food at once. Either the hot stuff such as soup or the meal gets cold. Also sometimes my eyes are bigger than my stomach and I take to much that I don't eat.

Has anyone else made the connection between "the step" on Eurodam and the removal of trays? Coincidence? I think not...

Me. A couple of days ago I wondered if there was a connection.

I may have been the first CC'er to trip on that -dam step, and I can say this, the tray didn't help the situation, but I don't know that it hurt it, either. Had I been fumbling with my reading material, a plate, a glass of something, and who knows what else, I may not have done as well as I did.

I've had three bad falls and a near-miss so far this year. One fall was on the Rotterdam, and the near-miss was on the E-dam. I wasn't carrying a tray when I fell on the Rotterdam.

Then why was it started on the Westerdam and extended to the Oosterdam, rather than on the Eurodam? Unconnected, IMO.

First, my sympathies to all who will be, or believe they will be, inconvenienced by the lack/absence of trays in the buffet areas on future shipboard travels. It's obviously a very sensitive subject.

But as a 35+ year consultant to the F&B/Hospitality Industry, please let me assure each and every one of you that this decision by any food-service provider is based on nothing more than the almighty bottom line.

The average buffet patron will take less food without a tray. An irrefutable and undebateable fact.

On a purely personal note, the wasted food in the cruise industry is deplorable. There is no other sector of the F&B/Hospitality/Leisure/Entertainment Industries that prepares so much food that goes uneaten. While I doubt that the elimination of trays will change this statistic, I certainly believe it is a huge step in the right direction towards lessening this problem. And of course it's not just a wasted food problem, it is the processing and disposal of that wasted food. Wasted food equals wasted dollars.

I've always been so impressed by the young men who hand out the trays at the beginning of the buffet lines. So good with names, and always generous with their warm greetings. Sounds like they'll be distributing plates instead of trays on our next HAL voyage....which by the way, won't arrive soon enough! (The voyage that is!)

I've always been so impressed by the young men who hand out the trays at the beginning of the buffet lines. So good with names, and always generous with their warm greetings. Sounds like they'll be distributing plates instead of trays on our next HAL voyage....which by the way, won't arrive soon enough! (The voyage that is!)

Brings to mind the man who handed out trays on our Transatlantic. He always remembered everyone's name, and constantly sang a tune to the effect of (paraphrasing) "good morning, how are you today, have a good day, lovely breakfast for you", to the tune of "Happy Birthday". We always made a point of going to his side of the Lido just for his serenade.

the tray situation with all that is going on is no big deal--however since i am the first to complain about the lack of them -it is due to the cruise lines painting a picture of perfection-and while i am on vacation i expect them to deliver it for the 10 -20 days a year i cruise-and that includes trays--

Please pardon my ignorance, but what is "the step" to which you all are referring to? :confused:

Eurodam came out with a "step up" that leads into a "raised" area of her Lido opposite the coffee/tea section and to the starboard side of the Canaletto part-time Italian restaurant. There is no sloped access nor some type of ramp into that particular section. It is the opinion of some posters here, some very respected posters I might add, that this step presents a continuous trip hazzard. Instead of building such a ramp access, HAL has since applied "caution" tape on/near the step.

Archived