?(No) Trays in Lido

GeriatricNurse

I DID walk up to a supervisor and asked for assistance. He promised he would help me himself. He then proceeded to the other end of the Lido, and was last seen chatting with passengers sitting there. :rolleyes:

There's no way to put a good spin on this.

And you let him get away with that?:eek:

And you let him get away with that?:eek:

Yes, John. I let him get away with that. Since I have increasing trouble walking, I was not about to walk to the other end of the Lido to yank him back to help. And I would not make a scene by hollering out across a room. Some things are just not done.

Yes, John. I let him get away with that. Since I have increasing trouble walking, I was not about to walk to the other end of the Lido to yank him back to help. And I would not make a scene by hollering out across a room. Some things are just not done.

Sorry Ruth, having had the pleasure to have met you in person, you come across as someone with a pretty strong personality. I would have thought the 'stunt' that the Lido supervisor pulled on you would not have been the end of it as far as you were concerned, maybe not that instance, but at a later opportunity.

Hope you, and others, will find a solution to the trays disappearing from the Lido's which, if we are to believe Lisa's sources, is going to happen in the near future.

Is room service an option? I know at resorts room service will deliver where ever you are on the property. Otherwise, a tray in the bottom of your suitcase, or borrowed from room service is a wonderful option. Maybe you can leave the tray with the bible that includes coupons left by others. It just seems that the HAL staff is always happy to accommodate friendly passengers. Cherie

Because it's closed? (silly you)

Dearest RuthC,

OK, you are the "bomb", after following you on this and other threads, finally I just must meet you even if I HAVE to take a cruise to do it ! ;)

Ohhhhh, the sacrifice ! :D

I'm sure it would be an unforgettable experience ! :rolleyes:

I don't see any countdown clocks in your signature, so when is your next sailing ? :cool:

No stalker here, just one who recognizes a "fun" soul when he comes across the rare one and appreciates the singularity. :D

r.

Hey, not to change the subject but If prunes are dehydrated plums, where does prune juice come from?

Why do people constantly return to the refrigerator with hopes that something new to eat will have materialized?

If a kid refuses to sleep during nap time, are they guilty of resisting a rest?

When you're caught "between a rock and a hard place", is the rock not hard?

Why do British people never sound British when they sing?

What do people in China call their good plates?

Why doesn't Winnie the Pooh ever get stung by the bees he messes with?

How did the first women ever to shave their legs know that the skin wouldn't just peel right off?

Why do superheros wear their underwear on the outside of their clothes?

If one man says, "it was an uphill battle," and another says, "it went downhill from there," how could they both be having troubles?

Why do people say "heads up" when you should duck?

Do the English people eat English muffins, or are they just called muffins?

How come you never see a billboard being put up by the highway?

How come cats butts go up when you pet them?

Why put a towel in the dirty clothes basket if when you get out of the shower you are clean?

Did Noah have woodpeckers on the ark? If he did, where did he keep them?

Do Chinese people get English sayings tattooed on their bodies?

Why do we put suits in a garment bag and put garments in a suitcase?

If London Bridge is standing why is there a song about it falling down?

Why are there interstate highways in Hawaii?

At a movie theater which arm rest is yours?

Why do doctors leave the room when you change? They're going to see you naked anyway.

Why is it that everyone driving faster than you is considered an idiot and everyone driving slower than you is a moron?

Been many, many times, that wasn't the point, it was your tone in correlation with your other comments here, not exactly positive, try condescending and somewhat rude to other members here. I apologize, but I don't seem to be the only one here feeling this way. :D

Thank you for your insight and understanding. We sail exclusively on HAL ships and love it--rave about everything HAL to our friends/family. But, it NEVER ceases to amaze me how it is absolutely impossible to bring up the slightest criticism without some here getting hysterical and positively rabid. I'm quite used to it but I can see how it could give pause to a newbie reading these threads.

I will say, though, that bringing up 9/11 and suicide has taken it to a new (low) level.....:rolleyes:

I hope that those here who are so smug, flip and downright arrogant about these "nonessential" issues are never in a position where they need assistance--karma is a powerful thing.

WOW! What would I do without my CC friends who alert me when something unbelievable is occuring here!

This is all absolutely insane:eek:. First of all, HAL is obviously trying to cut down on waste. They know that people load up their trays with food and often can't even eat it all. So they figure if they take the trays away they can cut down significantly on food waste. So HAL's reasons are a given whether we agree with them or not.

Personally, I think it's a terrible idea unless they compensate with more staff to assist those who need it as well as providing rolling carts with water, tea, coffee, etc. It's a buffet for heaven's sake and it's a ship which is often rocking and rolling. One cannot juggle liquids and plates as they can on land (which last I looked is where Las Vegas is).

Additionally, as several have pointed out it's not always easy to secure a table and little cards saying "taken" won't work because we'll have the same problem as people saving chairs at the pool. Think it through and you'll see where I'm going.

Obviously it's a problem for those with mobility issues and everyone here should recognize and understand that.

But finally, I am always astonished when some people's loyalty to a cruise line, in this case HAL, is so strong that no matter what the debate may be they defend the cruise line. My feeling about this has gotten me in considerable trouble in the past which doesn't bother me in the least. It's just off the wall crazy to believe that HAL never makes a bad decision, that "change" is always good and we should be the ones who accommodate that change.

If enough people don't like the change and make enough noise about that, there will be trays back in the Lido so fast some won't even know they were ever gone. The consumer, speaking in large numbers, always wins.

I seem to recall that Royal Caribbean did away with trays a while ago.

I rather liked the way they did it on Cunard. At the beginning of the line, a staff member was there to hand you your cutlery and napkin. At that time he/she would ask if you required a tray.

So couldn't the front door person ask people coming in if they need a tray and give them to those who require it? It would save guests searching out a staff member to ask for one.

We have always done the grab a table, and have one person hold it while the other gets food, then the other person goes. The buffets on most lines are overcrowded at peak times anyway, so we've had to do this in order to get a table.

I don't for a minute believe Lisa is trying to put down or denigrate those who have mobility issues. Even if it is coming across that way.:)

And if you are by yourself?

Oh, my gosh! From reading through the last couple of pages of this (very heated) thread, you would think that LAFFINVEGAS HERSELF took the trays away!!!!:eek:

Yeah, some of us don't miss the trays, and yeah, some of us think that the totally freaked-out reaction by some other posters to the "tray fiasco" is just a little bit over the top.

They still have a diningroom, folks. You might not prefer that to a lido WITH TRAYS, but in the diningroom, they'll bring you EVERYTHING. :)

Okay, now, everybody, breathe in, breathe out.:cool:

Yeah, but from my experience eating in the MDR, the service is slow & besides it does not open until 8:00 a.m.! Also, what if you have an early shore excursion? Guess that you will be late for it!

Sorry Ruth, having had the pleasure to have met you in person, you come across as someone with a pretty strong personality. I would have thought the 'stunt' that the Lido supervisor pulled on you would not have been the end of it as far as you were concerned, maybe not that instance, but at a later opportunity.

Hope you, and others, will find a solution to the trays disappearing from the Lido's which, if we are to believe Lisa's sources, is going to happen in the near future.

I will pack my own tray before leaving on my HAL cruise(s), (after May 1st.)!

Has Anyone recently been on the Statendam to confirm if the trays are gone? I've just booked a 14 night cruise with my 87 year old Aunt who's very unsteady and I'm not sure she'll be able to handle the Lido without the trays, and I don't think that we'll be able to take 14 days of having all meals in our cabin or the dining room.

In the past we've put everything on my tray while she choose what she wants from the buffet, but it sounds like that won't be an option.

The lido is confusing enough, but having to balance both plates, glasses and roll up's may be too much for me!

A white coat gave me bad info?

I wish I was there to see your face, when you got your hands on that tray.

Thanks for the review,and have a great time.

I won't ask the typical inane questions some people ask

1. "Do They Serve Bacon In The Morning"?

2. "Is There A Guy Named John Still Working On There"?

3."Can You Measure The Cabin And Send Me The Measurements"?

We were on the Prinsendam in Nov. and the Veendam in Feb., and on both there were trays.

That's no longer true on the Veendam. As I reported earlier, trays were removed from the Veendam by 2/15/09 when I sailed.

Has Anyone recently been on the Statendam to confirm if the trays are gone? I've just booked a 14 night cruise with my 87 year old Aunt who's very unsteady and I'm not sure she'll be able to handle the Lido without the trays, and I don't think that we'll be able to take 14 days of having all meals in our cabin or the dining room.

I have two suggestions for you if you board and find trays are not put out.

1.) Ask for one. Trays are still around for the stewards to use when cleaning up. Someone may get one for you.

If that fails---

2.) Order room service. It will be delivered on a tray which is larger than what you are used to, but that really isn't a problem. When finished with your meal, hide the tray where it won't be found. (Please remember to return it by the end of the cruise.)

I have two suggestions for you if you board and find trays are not put out.

1.) Ask for one. Trays are still around for the stewards to use when cleaning up. Someone may get one for you.

If that fails---

2.) Order room service. It will be delivered on a tray which is larger than what you are used to, but that really isn't a problem. When finished with your meal, hide the tray where it won't be found. (Please remember to return it by the end of the cruise.)

Thanks Ruth! I think in the mornings we'll probabaly just stay in the cabin for Breakfast, it's very hard for her when there's alot of confusion and people around. I just hate to thought of not being able to enjoy the Lido because I can't handle getting the meals for us.

Dearest RuthC,

OK, you are the "bomb", after following you on this and other threads, finally I just must meet you even if I HAVE to take a cruise to do it ! ;)

Ohhhhh, the sacrifice ! :D

I'm sure it would be an unforgettable experience ! :rolleyes:

I don't see any countdown clocks in your signature, so when is your next sailing ? :cool:

No stalker here, just one who recognizes a "fun" soul when he comes across the rare one and appreciates the singularity. :D

r.

It would be my pleasure, Tamaracboy! I'm sure we could get in all sorts of trouble for disturbing the peace with all our laughing. :D

I'm on the Rotterdam for the 10/17 and 10/31 sailings. After that---who knows. Wherever the spirit goes, I guess!

The direct attacking of me has absolute nothing to do with my loyality to HAL If I was still going on the May Princess cruise and this was a Princess thread carrying on so insanely about wanting their trays I would comment the same way But I believe I would not have to because Princess has long ago gotten rid of trays.

I have tried and tried to say that I agree it could impact some people numerous times within this never ending thread.

Ok I will comment that YES I agree that it is not perfect if you are alone in the Lido and or you are with someone that cannot carry their own items. But sadly this is NOT a perfect world. There are always going to be compromises that must be made. Life is about CHANGE. I for one know it first hand. Possibly they could have a small sign that one can place on the table that indicates you are returning to the table. Unfortunately having witnessed some of the chair hogs in the Show Lounge I can see where this could also get out of hand.:rolleyes:

HAL cannot possibly make 100% of their passengers happy (although they do give it a DAM good try) I think that the percentages of people that this is working well for out weighs the small percentage that it does not. Plus if it can save money for HAL in food waste this is a good thing.

I am not saying that there are not people needing a tray and like I said above HAL is offering it to you so just take a deep breath and let this all pass.

Instead I am the being bashed here for just stating a fact. Of which this was highlighted

Originally Posted by LAFFNVEGAS viewpost.gif

Also just so this can hit 1000 posts I was told from a very reliable souce that the trays will be removed Fleet Wide by May 1st.

Now that is just downright MEAN !, and how about the promised availability of trays upon request ???

The Westerdam this August will be the real test, and believe me I WILL be requesting a tray.

Now We have all listened to why you must have a tray and I totally agree like I have said several time that some do need a tray. But some of us have a problem with a tray. I am extremely short and yes also a bit plump and carrying a heavy tray is not only hard but I have a fear of falling carrying it and not being able to see the ground of where I walk and fear tripping on something. We do frequent buffets here in Las Vegas where there probably has not been a tray for a good 15 years so maybe that is what I am use to. But it is I that is getting attacked for just stating that I know and have been told by not only Seattle but two GRMs on two different ships that the trays are in fact going away. I am sorry for those that still want it and obviously HAL is still going to help you and provide to you what you want.

But because I find it hard to walk and maneuver around the Lido carrying a large tray and happen to like this idea, I am bashing all of you :eek: I do not think so.

Again Yes I agree this is going to inconvenience some people and for that I am sorry.

But like usha said take a deep breath. This is not the end of the world. You will find a way to work this out. No one is stealing anything from you financially. By attacking me for my belief is not going to change HAL's mind. Possibly a letter writing campaign with signatures. I do not know the answer but it certainly is not attacking each other here.

Archived