dolphin swims/encounter

dnj1

Taken DD9 and DD3 to Nassau and wondering about the dophins. The kids can't swim. DD9 does enjoy the water, will she enjoy the encounter? Any advice? Is $85 for the encounter and $125 for the swim the going rates. Anyone taken a child under 3 yo?

They will have to wear a swimvest, so she won't sink, but it is in water deep enough for the dolphins....

Have you asked her how she feels about it? How is she with other large animals? (Dolphins are pretty big!)

I don't think I'd take the 3 year old---maybe when she's older.

That's alot of money to spend if the kids will be freaked out and panic-stricken!

I took DD on the dolphin encounter in Nassau when she was 21 mos old (mostly because I wanted to go...:o and I think she was free). We stood on a platform in water up to my mid-thigh (see pic below), which was too deep for her, but definitely OK for a 9yo and probably fine for a 3yo, with the dolphin in deeper water in front of us. It was no problem for me to hold her. As you can see, at least 8 years ago, nobody had to wear a flotation vest for the encounter, but everyone was so close together that if someone did fall into the deeper water (which never came close to happening), there would be plenty of hands to help pull them up. While she doesn't remember it any more (she's 9yo), she did remember it for more than a year and she loves seeing the pix and she does remember a little about swimming with stingrays when she was 3.5yo.

w01032614.jpg

My husband and I did the dolphin swim in Nassau(Blue Lagoon) this past July and loved it. There were lots of kids doing the encounter but not too many doing the swim. I think the encounter would be great for your 9 years old. The swim might still be a bit much for her unless she is a truly fearless and energetic child. They do make everyone wear life vests now so I wouldn't worry about that. As far as the 3 year old? Well again, that depends on how brave she is. I don't remember the price for the encounter but the swim was $189PP. You can also go to their website and check it out. They have videos and stuff. Just google Blue Lagoon Nassau and you'll find it.

The Blue Lagoon dolphin swim is in shallow water like in the pic posted above.

You stand on a floating platform, just like a swimming pool...not deep. The dolphin swims up to the platform. You are not in the deep water with them on the encounter (which is the only one they allow younger kids to do).

I took a 2 year old to the dolphin encounter and there was an infant there too. ;) My youngest loved it!

Big kiss!

Cruise-06-GabDolphin.jpg

Taken DD9 and DD3 to Nassau and wondering about the dophins. The kids can't swim. DD9 does enjoy the water, will she enjoy the encounter? Any advice? Is $85 for the encounter and $125 for the swim the going rates. Anyone taken a child under 3 yo?

For very young children the encounter is probably the one to go with. For your 9 year old I would really say pay the extra few dollars for the opportunity to get in the water.

YMMV, I've seen encounters were you get lots of time with the dolphins and seen others where you are part of a group where you share time with the swimmers. The encounters got something like 5' and one touch then the bulk of the time went to the ones in the water. Like I said YMMV. It is a once in a lifetime activity well worth spending the extra $$$ for. I've also seen variation in what they allow in terms of pictures. Some allow you to shoot, others no cameras allowed, so check on that too!

Enjoy the cruise

• 2 weeks later...
Okay we changed our ports and will now be doing the encounter in Cozumel. Any suggestions. What about Grand Caymen? Ages 3 and 9 and of course me and DH

I have done Dolphin Encounter and Swim in Cozumel twice. You will really enjoy it. Because you said you daughter has trouble swimming you should stick with the encounter, because you need to be able to swim out about 30-40 yards for the belly ride and foot push. My nephew is 7 and he did the encounter and really had a good time. The pictures of him were fantastic. You could tell the huge smile was genuine.

In Grand Caymans, do the pirate encounter. I thought it would be stupid, but it actually ended up being one of my favorite excursions on that cruise, 2nd to teh Dolphins. They also have an sting ray encounter, but I am not sure about how much swimming may be involved.

Archived