Standby Cruising options???

2CoolCanucks

Is there such a thing as a "standby" option for cruising.... where you wait at the port packed and ready to go and then, if there is a room available, you get to have it for a reduced rate?

If so, how do you do it and where do you wait to find out?

Is there such a thing as a "standby" option for cruising.... where you wait at the port packed and ready to go and then, if there is a room available, you get to have it for a reduced rate?

If so, how do you do it and where do you wait to find out?

I think that 72 hours is the cut-off for needing to be booked (due to secuirty requirements - the cruise line needs to submit the passenger manifest in sufficient time that authorities can review it).

You can book as late as the morning the cruise leaves. You cant wait and book at the port, you need to book thru a TA or the cruiseline.

RCL for a sunday departure said I had to book by the saturday before the cruise. I know folks on carnival who booked the morning of the cruise if it was during the week.

The above poster has the cutting of the manifest confused with when you can book. You CAN book last minute, you just wouldnt be on the manifest. It was a little more complicated, but you can do it, you do have to check in 2 hours prior to the ship leaving if you have not booked in time to print out your edocs. 30 minutes earlier than everyone else.

You can book as late as the morning the cruise leaves. You cant wait and book at the port, you need to book thru a TA or the cruiseline.

RCL for a sunday departure said I had to book by the saturday before the cruise. I know folks on carnival who booked the morning of the cruise if it was during the week.

The above poster has the cutting of the manifest confused with when you can book. You CAN book last minute, you just wouldnt be on the manifest. It was a little more complicated, but you can do it, you do have to check in 2 hours prior to the ship leaving if you have not booked in time to print out your edocs. 30 minutes earlier than everyone else.

Really? Several other people here have posted information in complete contradiction to what you just stated.

I was thinking about something like a last minute back-to-back....

You know, finish our cruise, get off the ship and wait to see if there is room to go again.... same ship, already been checked for security purposes the first time around...

Anybody know about this?

We are booked for a one week cruise in three weeks but the thought of extending it is mighty tempting, if possible

Thanks for the discussion so far. :)

I was thinking about something like a last minute back-to-back....

You know, finish our cruise, get off the ship and wait to see if there is room to go again.... same ship, already been checked for security purposes the first time around...

Anybody know about this?

We are booked for a one week cruise in three weeks but the thought of extending it is mighty tempting, if possible

Thanks for the discussion so far. :)

You would be better off checking while you are still onboard the ship (you might even be able to get the OBC that some lines offer for booking on the ship). You can't just walk up to the pier and purchase a cruise. Most cruiselines cutoff booking at least the night before the cruise, Carnival does occasionally allow people to call the morning of the cruise - but you can't walk up to the terminal and purchase a cruise which is what you seem to want to do.

Ok I think I'll try that. I'll check while I'm onboard about a day or two before the cruise ends and see what happens.

BTW, I totally understand the security factors of someone trying to get on by simply walking up to the ship... I wouldn't want them to allow just anybody on board :eek: when I was a passenger.

But the question begs to be asked, if the same cruise line and same cruise ship allowed me on a week ago, how much of a terror threat would I become in the 2 hours it takes to walk off ship and get back on....;)

(They would know I had just gotten off. )

Your idea sounds best...I will try that.:)

Friends just did it on the 13 nite Dawn repo...they wanted to stay another week..had the means to do it...it was on the last nite...over dinner at Bamboo..so much fun...why leave now? so they spoke with the Concierge..who led them to the little door behind the reception desk,,in there they spoke with someone who spoke with someone in Miami...and poof.....they were booked on the next cruise....granted that next week 11/15 to 11/22 the ship was not at full capacity...that probably made it easier as well...they did change rooms but hey...if you can...I say go for it.....Tim & Darlene..I hope you had a blast!!! All they had to do was pack and the stewards moved their stuff to the new room. You still get off the ship and have your sign/sail card swiped ..clear customs...by handing them the customs form and then you can get right back on the ship (or stay off and treat it as a "port" stop...the front office will have issued you new Sign and Sail cards which you will use to re-board the ship... ...you don't wait at the pier or in the lounges or anything...

hope this info helps...happy cruising..,.Marla

Archived