Australians face $200 tax to fly home from UK

mochuck

Similar thing for New Zealand. John Key (Prime Minister) was in London today and raised it with Gordon Brown. The claim it's emissions tax, but really it's about generating income after they slashed VAT. Personal income tax has also been increased over there to cover the economic crisis bailout plan.

Hi Mochuck

You had a http:// twice in the original posting's link. Moral of story for Aussies - fly in and out of somewhere other than UK - Maybe Paris and take the Eurostar? Will need to think twice about destination - but not Rome - it was a nightmare getting out a month ago (and the "VIP" business class lounge - that's another story!)

I was thinking about this yesterday when it's announced. It reminded me of some posters here talking about the cost of flights to meet a cruise here, so it's going to be a significant hit for a family there to do such a trip (or even just any travel here) when it's fully introduced.

I can see a reduction in tourist numbers from that part of the world - they'd be less likely to organise an intermediate stop in Europe and separate booking on, given Europe tends to be the destination for us, and booking a flight at short notice is easier to there than it is to here, being short haul and with more choice of carriers (including discount).

Archived