At what pont ??

cruzin w chris

Being retired puts a very different slant on things. For me the vacation starts when I put my deposit down on my next cruise. My late husband always said that I was very fortunate as I enjoy each cruise three times.

1. When I place my deposit I start my research. I like to know everything that I can about the area I will visit. I research mainly online and imagine myself already there, seeing sites that interest me. Very enjoyable.

2. The main event. Yes, travelling to ports 10 hours from home can and often is uncomfortable but I find my excitement escalating. Having to begin taking my seasickness pills tells me that it is imminent. The ultimate

is when I am greeted by crew and staff members by name.

3. After the hassle of flying home, unpacking and doing laundry, I look at my photos and share my adventures with friends and family. This third part is special and of course it makes me experience things again and again.

Fran

hello everyone, i would like to know " at what exact point" do you consider the start of your vacation ?. is it the moment you clock out from work for the last time or is it the moment you lock the doors of your home to leave for the port. mine is the moment i punch the clock for the last time. lets hear yours ???

Definitely the moment I walk out the door my last day of work. Our last vacation was an 11 night cruise on Celebrity Constellation. Since it was a repo cruise that started in New Jersey, went to Bermuda (2 days), Aruba, St. Maarten, and Bahamas (substituted last minute for Labadee), we then coupled it with our timeshare in Marco Island (the cruise ended in Ft. Lauderdale). It was a 20 day vacation. Those are the best kinds!

Jo-Ann

Well, we often go on the early morning flight off island for holiday, and we go to the cruise port more than a day in advance. So my real starts to holiday are as follows:

1) I sign out of Outlook and turn on my Out of Office alert. Then DH and I go out for dinner to celebrate our start of holiday. Then we have the whole day next day to prepare - pack, take cats to holiday camp, blah, blah.

2) this is the big one: the night before our departure I log onto airline's website to check that our plane has already arrived on island safely and is parked at airport overnight, ready for our morning departure!! :D If no plane, then aaarrrrgggghhhh crap!!

Well, we often go on the early morning flight off island for holiday, and we go to the cruise port more than a day in advance. So my real starts to holiday are as follows:

1) I sign out of Outlook and turn on my Out of Office alert. Then DH and I go out for dinner to celebrate our start of holiday. Then we have the whole day next day to prepare - pack, take cats to holiday camp, blah, blah.

2) this is the big one: the night before our departure I log onto airline's website to check that our plane has already arrived on island safely and is parked at airport overnight, ready for our morning departure!! :D If no plane, then aaarrrrgggghhhh crap!!

Okay, I can't resist....isn't living in Bermuda a holiday in and of itself???

JK, I'm sure when you have to work, getting away from wherever you live is a vacation.

Okay, I can't resist....isn't living in Bermuda a holiday in and of itself???

JK, I'm sure when you have to work, getting away from wherever you live is a vacation.

Ha Ha - we living on this island have a serious disease and it's called the "Rock Fever" and it's ususlly cured by getting off island a few times per year.

Bermuda is a great place to live and work but people do get stressed out - that's normal, just like everyone else in the world. People in USA and Europe are able get in car and drive many many miles out of home city to sightsee and spend the weekend. But we can't do it here (Bermuda is only 21 sq miles), so we need to hop off island now and again for a bit. Fortunately we have a little boat that we love to use at weekends.

There are tons of serious travellers amongst the Bermudian folks - they just LOVE to travel and see different places/cultures - and they do cruise a lot.

As others have said, when I walk away from my jealous co-workers saying, "Have a good time!". But given the state of the travel industry, I am still on 'HIGH ALERT' until the jet lands on final leg, hopefully on the same day and lets us off. Don't like waiting on tarmac for gate to open up (happened at DFW twice).

We're driving to port - My vacation will start as soon as we leave - I've got a stack of books to enjoy on the way while I just let the stress go. DH does most of the driving, so he probably won't feel vacation ahd started until we're on the ship.:)

Archived