Gratuity question

reginar

Actually, 10% is considered a bad tip. So you do not overtip you undertip for good service.

Way to focus on "the mite" and forget to pull "the log" out of your eye.

I'm Canadian...10% is pretty standard...yes 15% is becoming more 'popular' if you will but mostly when you have large groups.

When I say I over tip I meant me and DW leave tips on account PLUS we hand out envelopes of cash to those who go 'beyond the call of duty' - usually our waiter/waitress and last cruise it was the gal who herded over our children for us.

I spend about 50 - 100 nights a year in hotels, either on business or for personal travel. I leave a $3 - $5 tip for the maid each and every night. As a matter of fact, most business travelers know that tipping for maid service in hotels is as standard as tipping the valet attendant or the bellmen who help you with your luggage.

It is only the casual traveler - someone who might take a cruise or other vacation once or twice a year, who doesn't realize that leaving a tip for housekeeping services in hotels and motels is now considered standard practice.

Sure you do ;) I bet you even tip the good help in fastfood restaraunts too right.

Sure you do ;) I bet you even tip the good help in fastfood restaraunts too right.

No, I don't tip in fast food restaurants. And I don't understand why you felt the need to add the little sarcastic wink and question my truthfulness when I simply refuted your statement that people - - especially business travelers - - tip hotel maids. In fact, federal government employees on official travel are EXPECTED to tip. The General Services Administration (GSA), the agency that sets travel policy for the U.S. Government, has established $3 per day as the amount of per diem that is to be provided for tips to hotel maids.

So, not only were you wrong about tipping in hotels, you compounded your mistake by following up your error with a snarky, sarcastic remark.

Way to start out the day! A pastor, huh? :rolleyes:

I travel as much as MadMan also.

I also leave $3 - $5 a day for the hotel housekeeping staff.

I also expense it off and have never been questioned about my expenses which tells me it's an accepted practice by the business and by the accountants.

I also leave as much when it's only my wife and I on a personal trip.

Hotel housekeeping staff work very hard to make my trip more enjoyable.

Wow.... so many attacks on the OP who came back rather quickly and acknowledged that they may have to figure out a way to cut back on some other costs to be better prepared to provide the customary gratuities to the staff. Kudos to the OP in realizing that the gratuities are the norm for all passengers to provide.

Now this thread has turned from a cruise related issue to a pissing war over restaurant and hotel tipping !

Remember the good old days when Holland America Line was "No tipping required" ?

They should go back to that on all cruise lines just pad the tips in the prices, should do that with the fuel surcharges also

They should go back to that on all cruise lines just pad the tips in the prices, should do that with the fuel surcharges also

But what recourse would one have if they had really horrible service? There is some value for the passenger in having these positions rely on gratuities...

Totally agree with you.... Of course we always added a little extra tip to the staff despite not being required......

Life would be so much easier wouldn't it ? But then again we couldnt have a gazillion threads on the same topic !

But what recourse would one have if they had really horrible service? There is some value for the passenger in having these positions rely on gratuities...

There was much less fuss when tips were included... service seemed better back then as well. It's all a matter of opinion. Why are so many looking for the "What If" recourse scenario..... to much worry about nothing ! :rolleyes:

Skipping all the stuff about tipping and stiffing and who tips what where, your adult daughter should be aware of your financial circumstances and should offer to help with some of the excess expenses for the cruise. If she does not volunteer to chip in, tell her it would be appreciated.

I was wondering your age. As someone above posted lower tips were standard in the 60s? My Dad is also a cheap tipper. So, Im wondering if this is a age thing?

You really only tip $3 for a $40 check? Im surprised how many are willing to admit they dont tip near the standard.

Trust me it is not an age thing, it is a lack of manners thing.

:):)

Well if we believe what you stated.... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=16472997&postcount=50

it does not matter because CCL will make up the difference if they get stiffed as there is a guarantee. :D

Steve

Once again you are incorrect. What is abundantly clear is that you are just cheap!

I do the same amount of business travel and have never tipped the maid. I have never used a valet or bellman either.

Cheers,

Peter

Of course customs in the UK are much different than in the US. In the US tips are left for the cleaning staff.

I'm Canadian...10% is pretty standard...yes 15% is becoming more 'popular' if you will but mostly when you have large groups.

Speaking as a fellow Canadian, tipping 10% here makes you just as much of a cheapskate as it does south of the 49th. 15% to 20% is the accepted norm in Canada, just as it is in the US. To say that 10% is "standard" is absolute poppycock.

It is hilarious reading all these posts on ways to skimp on your vacation, particularly on the tips. The tips are such small change compared to the overall cost and the fact that you are paying for such a wonderful time and wonderful service. I don't know anyone who likes to scrub toilets or wait on someone at dinnertime so call it a small price to pay for being pampered in this way. And yes, I consider it pampering. It's what I normally would have to do at home and I'm so glad I will have the week off from those chores that it's so worth the $280 dollars it will cost me, especially when I look at the bottom line. My cruise (complete with airfare, 1 pre-night stay in Miami and insurance) is costing us (family of 4) over $5000. So, yes, it would be nice to save here and there but skimping on tips just makes you cheap...NOT THRIFTY!

It is hilarious reading all these posts on ways to skimp on your vacation, particularly on the tips. The tips are such small change compared to the overall cost and the fact that you are paying for such a wonderful time and wonderful service. I don't know anyone who likes to scrub toilets or wait on someone at dinnertime so call it a small price to pay for being pampered in this way. And yes, I consider it pampering. It's what I normally would have to do at home and I'm so glad I will have the week off from those chores that it's so worth the $280 dollars it will cost me, especially when I look at the bottom line. My cruise (complete with airfare, 1 pre-night stay in Miami and insurance) is costing us (family of 4) over $5000. So, yes, it would be nice to save here and there but skimping on tips just makes you cheap...NOT THRIFTY!

As a rule I have paid under $1000 for 2 cabins total and I drive the 3 hour trip.So the tips make up 26% of the fare.So 26% is not small change.

This cheap thing,stiffing the crew,ect would be eliminated if tips were included in the fare.

The argument is that service would go down,but everyone states that the crew get questioned if they are removed,so why not do like NCL and call it a service charge?

Steve

We spent a week at Sandals earlier this year and it was truly "all-inclusive" since food, drinks and all services (except spa) were all included and tips are "prohibited". However, my husband drank 10 Absolute and tonics one afternoon and couldn't even get buzzed (and he drinks maybe 2-3 drinks a month normally). Basically, I believe that if we had to tip at this resort we could have received better service and better drinks. We often had to wait quite long for dinner and if we requested anything brought to our room, it often took hours (such as an iron I desperately needed and was missing).

So, with that said, I look forward to the service, the quality of drinks and the opportunity to reward good service with a good tip.

Maybe the original poster should consider a vacation where tips are included or rent a beach house somewhere where she can cook her own meals and save the tips.

Maybe the original poster should consider a vacation where tips are included or rent a beach house somewhere where she can cook her own meals and save the tips.

The OP, after reading what others opinions were about the topic quickly changed their view on this and decided they will figure a way to cut other costs so as not to reduce the tipping while onboard..... Perhaps if you had read her 2nd response and decision on how to handle this issue you would have refrained from your less than helpful remark ! :mad:

Archived