Auto tip amount for concierges

poolwife

I would GUESS they get none of the auto-tip simply because the auto-tip is assessed from ALL passengers, and not all passengers can use the services of the Neptune Lounge concierges. So, I would say you would probably tip them in cash, based upon just how much you used their services.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Interesting info, jtl513. We've entered into many discussions about whether or not waiters, cabin stewards, etc get to keep all of the money we give them personally just before leaving for the real world.

Bob

IF you leave the automatic tip in place on your shipboard account, any additional money you tip is that person's to keep for themselves.

IF you remove the automatic tip, if you tip anyone individually, they must turn it in to be pooled.

from what I have read, there are 2 concierges on Westerdam. Do you think $25 each is sufficient? :confused:

That's what we left for the ladies in the Noordam's Neptune for 10 day sail. As mentioned it comes down to how often you utilize their services. I suspect we were probably classified as "average" users.

How can I find on the HAL web site what the auto tip amount is for concierges such as those in the Neptune Lounge? Thank you.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard+Life&contentMenu=Money+Matters&contentSubMenu=Hotel+Service+Charge

"Our crew works very hard to make sure that every aspect of your cruise meets the highest standards. This includes those crew members who serve you directly, such as our dining room wait staff and the stewards who tend to your stateroom each day. There are also many others that tend to your care that you may never meet, such as galley and laundry staff. To ensure that the efforts of all of our crew members are recognized and rewarded, a daily Hotel Service Charge of US$11 per passenger is automatically charged to each guest's shipboard account. If our service exceeds or fails to meet your expectations, you are free to adjust this amount at the end of the cruise. The Hotel Service Charge is paid entirely to Holland America Line crew members, and represents an important part of their total compensation package. A 15% service charge is automatically added to bar charges and dining room wine purchases. In terminals, airports, ports of call and on shore excursions, we suggest that you extend gratuities consistent with customary local practices."

[Highlighting is mine]

We are speaking about tips other than the automatic $11 per person per day.

We always tip the concierge personally and certainly always leave the automatic tip in place on our shipboard bill.

Many of us trip extra to those who have given us excellent service and made our cruise more special. Again, personal choice whether to and if so, how much.

yes, we always keep the automatic tip in place even when we felt the service wasn't up to par cause we feel they are still taking care of us, we just don't give beyond the automatic unless it is extra good service and caring. Rarely has there been times when we don't give at least a little extra to our dining waiter and cabin steward.

I was just wondering if there was any where where it said anything about an automatic tip or what the average is for the concierges. I have pretty much gathered from all of you that it is a personal matter. Thank you.

The concierges are part of the Front Office staff - they have the same rank as the other Guest Relations Attendants. They are petty officers (those that wear white/blue uniforms without stripes) and therefore are not eligible for the hotel service charge. But also keep in mind that their salary is higher (although not stellar) because of this. Just something to keep in mind. :) They do do a great job.

Archived