Switching from Fixed Seating to Anytime dining halfway

burm

We just returned 11/26 from the Golden Princess 14 day Hawaiian Cruise. We were given late seating (8pm) and found it too late. I called the any time dining extension given in the cruise info book in the cabin and was told to simply show up in one of the two any time dining rooms. You just get in line and tell them how many people and if you are willing to share a table. We always agreed to share so we never had to wait. They don't have a list of names they just accept anyone who comes along!

We did let the people at our table that we would be doing the anytime dining for a few days. But we didn't return to our table until the last evening! It was really terrific to eat whenever we wanted! We also enjoyed meeting different people at every dinner!

I would think they would have reassigned you TD table to someone else after you let them know you intentions but I can see that they just don't care about a few empty seats here & there.

It's rally a shame that they didn't since so many people were probably put on a waiting list for TD to begin with.

We just returned 11/26 from the Golden Princess 14 day Hawaiian Cruise. We were given late seating (8pm) and found it too late. I called the any time dining extension given in the cruise info book in the cabin and was told to simply show up in one of the two any time dining rooms. You just get in line and tell them how many people and if you are willing to share a table. We always agreed to share so we never had to wait. They don't have a list of names they just accept anyone who comes along!

We did let the people at our table that we would be doing the anytime dining for a few days. But we didn't return to our table until the last evening! It was really terrific to eat whenever we wanted! We also enjoyed meeting different people at every dinner!

I'm not quite sure why you thought this was OK, to basically take up 2 spots apiece for dining every night. No wonder anytime diners write in here to complain about the waits for a table!! I always wonder how those who like to have the best of both worlds would feel if they arrived at traditional one night to find their table occupied by someone who said "It's my vacation, I'll do what I want even if it inconveniences other cruisers."

Jumpin was considerate enough to ask and was only doing what he/she was told was acceptable. It was up the the maitre d' to politely explain that they she had to give up her fixed seat but he did not. I am sure that Jumpin would have understood and agreed had they told her.

Please make note of the words"considerate" and "polite". They are such important words to remember in order to ensure that everyone has a wonderful cruise.

No, I do not want to leave an empty table. This is why I am wondering if it is possible to "legally" switch and give someone from anytime the same opportunity to try both. Perhaps sometime was unable to get fixed and would enjoy the opportunity to change.

I totally agree that it is wrong to sign up for traditional and go to to anytime. We would never do that!

I have "legally" switched before, I believe on the morning of the either second or third day in hopes that someone could get that table who had wanted traditional. I do NOT condone just going to anytime but I know that's not what you are suggesting at all.

We tried TD for the first time on our last cruise. We were seated at a table for six. We were the second couple to arrive and the couple that was already there was lovely. When the third couple arrived I thought I'd died and gone to hell. The expression on her face as she approached the table spoke volumes, but when the second thing out of her mouth was political :eek: I knew I couldn't get out of there fast enough!!

We asked to be switched to AD and never looked back. All our AD dining companions were lovely, also!! From now on it's nothing but AD for me! I want the freedom to leave an unpleasant person without worrying about hurting others feelings!

We tried TD for the first time on our last cruise. We were seated at a table for six. We were the second couple to arrive and the couple that was already there was lovely. When the third couple arrived I thought I'd died and gone to hell. The expression on her face as she approached the table spoke volumes, but when the second thing out of her mouth was political :eek: I knew I couldn't get out of there fast enough!!

We asked to be switched to AD and never looked back. All our AD dining companions were lovely, also!! From now on it's nothing but AD for me! I want the freedom to leave an unpleasant person without worrying about hurting others feelings!

We've been at a similar table recently at TD with 4 other dinners that were obnoxious. After the first evening we just just changed to a table for 2 the next evening (luckily) with out any explanation.

i wonder if these were the same people i dined with on costa europa. 3 (of the 6) of us switched tables the 2nd night - the only time i've been compelled to switch tables. some thing are just NOT appropriate dinner topics.

btw - i think mixing TD and freestlye is very selfish. i got stuck with freestyle on the grand princess. hated it. always a wait. the maitre 'ds never checked who had TD or not. was not allowed to make permanent reservations and was never offered to switch to TD. :mad: from now on, if i cannot get TD, i will not be cruising.

There was a thread awhile back (actually, I think I started it) that asked the maitre d's to please check cruise cards and not allow traditional diners to "drop in" to anytime. It has been confirmed that Princess reads these boards--- in a recent Live from the Ruby thread, the captain even confirmed it and addressed the poster by her screen name! Anway, let's see if we start to see some changes here-- it doesn;t make any sense for the traditional diners to have the best of both worlds while the ones who chose anytime have their waits extended. I'll be on the Ruby in January and will certainly watch to see if this is being enforced.

On our last Princess cruise we had TD (LS) ... and ran into two couples we'd known from another cruise who had Anytime.

We just told the Maitre'd we'd like to change to Anytime ... and he told us that it was no problem and we were making some other folks on his wait list VERY HAPPY. :)

Archived