Switching from Fixed Seating to Anytime dining halfway

burm

We have arranged early fixed seating for our 14 day cruise. On the second week we have daily port calls and would like to switch from fixed to anytime so that we can watch 6:00 departures and enjoy sunsets on the balcony. Will they allow us to switch later on in the cruise? I know that they will let allow it on the first couple of days as there is a demand for fixed.

We have had good experiences with both fixed and anytime and I am just having fun dreaming about the cruise now. If they don't allow the change that is fine with us too. :D However, if they allow us to do "half and half" we would have the best of both worlds.

This is a bit of a controversial question.......no doubt there is a waiting list for people wanting traditional dining, and yet you want to have the "best of both worlds"....so people who want it get excluded, you get it for a couple of days, and then leave an empty table which would have been enjoyed by someone esle for the entire cruise.

In my view, pick what you want before the cruise and stick with it.

Regardless of what is right or wrong yes you can. You would need to see the maître d' to advise him of the change. You might though want to consider just switching to Anytime dining from the start. You can arrange for a reservation at a specific time and waiter station for the first week which would provide the same "feel" as traditional dining. By handling it that way it would free up a space from the start for someone waitlisted for early seating.

This is a bit of a controversial question.......no doubt there is a waiting list for people wanting traditional dining, and yet you want to have the "best of both worlds"....so people who want it get excluded, you get it for a couple of days, and then leave an empty table which would have been enjoyed by someone esle for the entire cruise.

No, I do not want to leave an empty table. This is why I am wondering if it is possible to "legally" switch and give someone from anytime the same opportunity to try both. Perhaps sometime was unable to get fixed and would enjoy the opportunity to change.

I totally agree that it is wrong to sign up for traditional and go to to anytime. We would never do that!

Speak with the Maitre d’. He may have a list of passengers who were put in anytime seating but wanted traditional. I am sure someone in this situation would rather spend ½ the trip in traditional seating than no time at all. You can also eat at the buffet or the specialty restaurants on a day or two if you can’t make an arrangement to switch. Personally, I just experienced anytime seating for the first time and will never go back to traditional. I like meeting new passengers each night and I also like that I am not tied down to a specific time.

I thought I'd read in another thread that if you switch from traditional to anytime dining during the cruise that someone on the waiting list for traditional dining could then take the now open seat(s) at your table for the remainder of the cruise.

Does anyone know the reality about this?

You can arrange for a reservation at a specific time and waiter station for the first week which would provide the same "feel" as traditional dining.

I forgot to ask, last year they would only allow us to book a couple of days at a time. Has that changed? We would love to be able to book 7:00 Pm for the entire 14 nights.

I understand what you're saying; don't know why people have to be so testy and negative. I think that's a great idea; they maintain a list of people who want traditional and since it's a 14 day cruise, you will then ALLOW some lucky person the opportunity to get what they want for the second half! As long as you tell them that you would like to switch, the table opens for someone else. I see nothing whatsoever wrong with that. Great idea-go for it!

Yes, you can do exactly what you have in mind and Princess certainly can notify someone on the waiting list that there is seating available in the early fixed dining to take your place there if they wish for the second week. I think you have a great plan in mind and hope you enjoy each and every dinner in whatever dining venue you choose to eat !:)

I understand what you're saying; don't know why people have to be so testy and negative. I think that's a great idea; they maintain a list of people who want traditional and since it's a 14 day cruise, you will then ALLOW some lucky person the opportunity to get what they want for the second half! As long as you tell them that you would like to switch, the table opens for someone else. I see nothing whatsoever wrong with that. Great idea-go for it!

Thank you for understanding what I was saying. :) To tie up seats in both would be just like hogging deck chairs on both sides of the ship. I would absolutely not do that.

I imagine there are lots of people like us who see the pros and cons to both and wouldn't mind swapping mid-cruise. In reality, after one week we will probably not want to leave our new friends. This year we went to the restaurant one night and really missed sharing the fun with our regular table companions. It was they who made the trip especially enjoyable for us. Well, them and the million other reasons. :D

Still, we have four more months to wait and during this time I will have fun exploring every possibility.

As one who was waitlisted for first seating, I'd appreciate that you will let the maitre d' know that you're vacating your table. We had to beg the maitre d' on the Diamond in January to call a cabin that hadn't shown up for 4 days in a row so we could sit with friends.

I'm sure it's much easier to switch to anytime dining mid-cruise than it would be to get a table in the assigned dining room. It shouldn't be a problem unless you want to switch back to assigned seating after the port days.

As one who was waitlisted for first seating, I'd appreciate that you will let the maitre d' know that you're vacating your table. We had to beg the maitre d' on the Diamond in January to call a cabin that hadn't shown up for 4 days in a row so we could sit with friends.

I'm sure it's much easier to switch to anytime dining mid-cruise than it would be to get a table in the assigned dining room. It shouldn't be a problem unless you want to switch back to assigned seating after the port days.

Last year we chose Anytime and figured that was the way to go. This year we were disappointed that Celebrity did not offer Anytime but had such wonderful tablemates that we decided to do it again on Princess next year. As you said, it is much easier to switch from Fixed to Anytime. Bottom line though, we will be happy cruisers either way.

I don't think you should have had to beg the maitre d' to call the non-shows. After 4 days it was only fair for the maitre d' to ask them if they would give someone else the opportunity. Everyone is automatically given dining room seats (either traditional or anytime) but some people don't want to dress up and just go to the food court. They don't realize that others would be thrilled to be given those seats. If asked, they would happily release them.

I can guaranty you that if we did decide to switch we would make a formal request and allow others to enjoy our seats.

With all the talk about people back filling the TD seats, I've actually never heard of anyone given the opportunity to do so. In theory it sounds like a great idea but it's doubtful if any Maiter'd would take the time to do so.

After years of dinning in the AT dr we tried the TD on our last cruise, only because my wife thought she was missing out on a few of the specially prepared items, & found that other than the Baked Alaska there is no difference between them as it was when they first began the AT program.

Have you seen this happen during a cruise?

On our Celebrity cruise this year there was a lot of musical chairs in the traditional dr on the first 2 days. I heard a few pretty funny stories as to the reasons.

I agree with you - pick one and stick to it - imagine if everyone wanted the 'best of both worlds' on a daily basis:eek:

[quote name=burm;17175010

I don't think you should have had to beg the maitre d' to call the non-shows. After 4 days it was only fair for the maitre d' to ask them if they would give someone else the opportunity. Everyone is automatically given dining room seats (either traditional or anytime) but some people don't want to dress up and just go to the food court. They don't realize that others would be thrilled to be given those seats. If asked' date=' they would happily release them.

.[/quote]

I agree we shouldn't have had to beg! The maitre d' on the Diamond in Jan. was Salvatore Mancuso, and we found him to be arrogant and a bit of a control freak from what we could tell. We asked him repeatedly to contact the absent diners, and he kept insisting they would show up. Since we had 5 sea days it was obvious they weren't getting on at a different port. Finally our friends who are Elite passengers just stood at his desk and refused to move until he called. The passengers told him they wanted Anytime and had no intention of using their fixed dining seats. He was the only negative (and negative comment!) we left on their whole cruise. There was a different maitre d' on the May Alaskan cruise, and he was great. We were waitlisted for first seating, and by the second day we had a table assigned.

I have heard on these boards of cruisers being persistent with the maitre d' and finally getting a seat in traditional (this doesn't seem to work all the time, though!>) But I have never heard of any non-persistent cruisers on the waiting list suddenly being contacted that there is a traditional table available for them. It seems from what I read that often the traditional DR just gets emptier as the cruise goes on. Does anyone have any info on whether there is any attempt to fill vacant slots?????

I agree with you - pick one and stick to it - imagine if everyone wanted the 'best of both worlds' on a daily basis:eek:

On every single cruise there are people who ask to be switched for a variety of reasons. It is not incredibly difficult for them to switch names on a list. This is our vacation and they want us to be happy so we come back. It is also nice to compensate them for their kindness.

'Best of both worlds' on a daily basis.' Whoever suggested that? If you could not get into Fixed seating would you not be happy if I gave up my seat? I may not want to though. Chances are, we will not want to leave our new friends.

Quite frankly, if I were to end up seated at your table you would probably be happy to have me moved. I am always cheerful, kind and considerate and would no doubt get on your nerves. I, on the other hand, would probably find some good in you and no doubt think "those poor people sure don't seem to enjoy life." You would resent that the waiters were always nicer to us because they appreciated our smiles and cheerful dispositions.

You would probably find it intrusive when our new friends constantly greeted us in passing by.

We feel very fortunate to be able to cruise and try to make the experience a pleasure for everyone sharing the experience, be they staff or passengers.

You can permenently ask to be moved from Traditional to Anytime, but once you do there is no going back to Traditional. At least that is the way it is "supposed" to work.

I don't think the OP was planning on flipping back and forth the second week. I took it to mean they wanted to eat in Traditional the first week and then on the second week switch to Anytime...giving up their table in Traditional for the rest of the cruise. This should be do-able.

You can permenently ask to be moved from Traditional to Anytime, but once you do there is no going back to Traditional. At least that is the way it is "supposed" to work.

I don't think the OP was planning on flipping back and forth the second week. I took it to mean they wanted to eat in Traditional the first week and then on the second week switch to Anytime...giving up their table in Traditional for the rest of the cruise. This should be do-able.

You are correct. But at this point I am just happily dreaming and considering every possible option.

Have any of you ever been stuck with unpleasant table companions? To date this has not happened to us. We prefer large tables where all different personalities can come together. When you share such a happy experience there is always something to discuss regardless of your background or outlook in life. For the most part you will never meet happier or friendlier people than cruisers.

We just returned 11/26 from the Golden Princess 14 day Hawaiian Cruise. We were given late seating (8pm) and found it too late. I called the any time dining extension given in the cruise info book in the cabin and was told to simply show up in one of the two any time dining rooms. You just get in line and tell them how many people and if you are willing to share a table. We always agreed to share so we never had to wait. They don't have a list of names they just accept anyone who comes along!

We did let the people at our table that we would be doing the anytime dining for a few days. But we didn't return to our table until the last evening! It was really terrific to eat whenever we wanted! We also enjoyed meeting different people at every dinner!

Jumpin

If I understood your post correctly - you had Traditional/Fixed seating but decided to avail yourself of Anytime dining. You did that for several days and then returned to your Traditional table the last night.

While this may have met your needs, I do believe this kind of behavior can lead to long waits in the Anytime DR's and empty tables/long waitlists in Traditional. You were holding onto a table in Traditional but not using it and using someone else's table in Anytime.

I hope others do not read your post and think this kind of behavior should be acceptable. If you want same table/same time - choose Traditional and use it a majority of nights unless using the buffet or specialty restaurants. If you want the flexibility of Anytime, then permanently give up your Traditional table or do not choose Traditional to begin with.

I wish Princess would crack down on Traditional Diners availing themselves of the Anytime restaurants by checking cards upon entry....

Rant over.

Jumpin

If I understood your post correctly - you had Traditional/Fixed seating but decided to avail yourself of Anytime dining. You did that for several days and then returned to your Traditional table the last night.

While this may have met your needs, I do believe this kind of behavior can lead to long waits in the Anytime DR's and empty tables/long waitlists in Traditional. You were holding onto a table in Traditional but not using it and using someone else's table in Anytime.

I hope others do not read your post and think this kind of behavior should be acceptable. If you want same table/same time - choose Traditional and use it a majority of nights unless using the buffet or specialty restaurants. If you want the flexibility of Anytime, then permanently give up your Traditional table or do not choose Traditional to begin with.

I wish Princess would crack down on Traditional Diners availing themselves of the Anytime restaurants by checking cards upon entry....

Rant over.

I agree...it is the "best of both worlds" folks that should not have it both ways.

Archived