formal night question

I never said I had professional pictures taken, now did I?
You don't take your own camera when you travel? I do...I have a really nice digital one that I bring...So I showed her the pictures I took.

Can you people not spell? It is "enough."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mafig:
You actually paid for a photographer to have your picture taken dressed like you were? How much nicer that picture would have been if you were dressed nicely.

Nuff said.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

T Seago

I am really impressed you went from obnoxious friend to completely nasty in 1 day.

Unfortunately, I am not a certified travel agent. My education was a little bit more rigorous than that. I will try to remind myself to post formally to you in the future, since you think by slapping people with differing views around you can get them to agree with your weakly defended opinions.

Why exactly did you join this website? So that you can make sure that your co-worker won't get any information from outside sources? Does forcing your "friend" to do what you suggest make you feel better about your own choices? Enquiring minds want to know! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

jc

T Seago. Since were quoting, I thought this previous posting might help everyone, experienced or not.

posted 12-19-03 12:08 PM
I did a little research to see exactly what Carnival was getting at when they recommended "Resort Casual". Here's what I came up with. (dont shoot the messenger)

Expedia.com recommends the following:

Does the ship have a dress code?

Different ships have different dress codes. Most ships suggest "resort casual" attire throughout the day, which includes shorts, pants, blouses, and shirts; and skirts and slacks for evening attire (except on formal nights, when women wear evening gowns or pantsuits and men wear dark suits or tuxedos). Generally, swimwear is not permitted in any dining rooms, including casual buffet-style restaurants.

Etiquette by Rebecca recommends:

Typically, if you dress resort-casual you should be fine. That includes light-weight slacks, skirts, polo shirts, or sporty dresses (think golf course).

Life is cruising says:

They call it "resort casual" which basically means to leave behind your "Spuds McKenzie for President" shirt and those favorite jeans that have been around maybe a little too long.

It's not Carnival of course, but NCL offers an expanded explanation.

NCL's policy is:

Resort casual attire is always appropriate morning, noon and night. If you like, you can slip into a pair of khakis and a polo shirt, a skirt and blouse or a sundress for dinner. We do not allow jeans, T-shirts, shorts, cut-offs, tank tops, bare feet, etc. in any of the restaurants at dinner.

Now, I know that some folks think NCL is a bit "fancy" so, how about the Disney cruise-line? Surely Disney - the "family" cruise line is appropriate for "everyman". They suggest the following:

Disney Cruise Lines

On other cruise lines, the norm may be "dressing up" for dinner, but this is not an issue on the Disney Cruise -- though there are a few restrictions such as no shorts, T-shirts or jeans worn in any of the restaurants in the evening.

Askandyaboutclothes.com defines Resort Casual:

. COUNTRY CLUB, or DRESSY, RESORT CASUAL, CASUAL CHIC: Apparel that you’d wear to a private country club for lunch or dinner. Dress trousers, sports shirt, dress shirt or knit polo shirt, a sweater or sport jacket and leather shoes/belt. It’s also appropriate for an off-site seminar, a party at a friend’s home or dinner at a nice restaurant. And yes the elements in your attire may have cost MORE than a good suit!!

Even our own Cruist Critic website -- the place where we'll all posting right now to answer all of our cruise-related questions -- suggests:

While many passengers dress to the nines, some, quite frankly, show up for events looking like slobs. This is not a good nor pleasant event. For the sake of all around you, please dress according to the shipboard code, which is always outlined in the daily program. If "formal" wear is requested that means a tuxedo or suit for men, cocktail dress or gown for women. Informal means jacket and perhaps a tie, attractive evening outfit for women; casual translates into chic resort wear, not warm-ups, short shorts or blue jeans.

People are being nasty to me and the numbers I am seeing are quite staggering.
95% of people are dressed formally? That is a bit high, I think.

I never said I didn't dress nice on formal night, I said I don't wear gowns and the like.
Some people think you HAVE to when that is NOT the case.
She is getting a lot of differnt views and I am glad for her.

I never said getting my certification was the extent of my education.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by xpcdoojk:
T Seago

I am really impressed you went from obnoxious friend to completely nasty in 1 day.

Unfortunately, I am not a certified travel agent. My education was a little bit more rigorous than that. I will try to remind myself to post formally to you in the future, since you think by slapping people with differing views around you can get them to agree with your weakly defended opinions.

Why exactly did you join this website? So that you can make sure that your co-worker won't get any information from outside sources? Does forcing your "friend" to do what you suggest make you feel better about your own choices? Enquiring minds want to know! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

jc<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I worked for Walt Disney Travel Company for 4 years and have done BOTH Disney ships...My bf didn't wear a tie at any of the formal dinners.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hdawson:
T Seago. Since were quoting, I thought this previous posting might help everyone, experienced or not.

posted 12-19-03 12:08 PM
I did a little research to see exactly what Carnival was getting at when they recommended "Resort Casual". Here's what I came up with. (dont shoot the messenger)

Expedia.com recommends the following:

Does the ship have a dress code?

Different ships have different dress codes. Most ships suggest "resort casual" attire throughout the day, which includes shorts, pants, blouses, and shirts; and skirts and slacks for evening attire (except on formal nights, when women wear evening gowns or pantsuits and men wear dark suits or tuxedos). Generally, swimwear is not permitted in any dining rooms, including casual buffet-style restaurants.

Etiquette by Rebecca recommends:

Typically, if you dress resort-casual you should be fine. That includes light-weight slacks, skirts, polo shirts, or sporty dresses (think golf course).

Life is cruising says:

They call it "resort casual" which basically means to leave behind your "Spuds McKenzie for President" shirt and those favorite jeans that have been around maybe a little too long.

It's not Carnival of course, but NCL offers an expanded explanation.

NCL's policy is:

Resort casual attire is always appropriate morning, noon and night. If you like, you can slip into a pair of khakis and a polo shirt, a skirt and blouse or a sundress for dinner. We do not allow jeans, T-shirts, shorts, cut-offs, tank tops, bare feet, etc. in any of the restaurants at dinner.

Now, I know that some folks think NCL is a bit "fancy" so, how about the Disney cruise-line? Surely Disney - the "family" cruise line is appropriate for "everyman". They suggest the following:

Disney Cruise Lines

On other cruise lines, the norm may be "dressing up" for dinner, but this is not an issue on the Disney Cruise -- though there are a few restrictions such as no shorts, T-shirts or jeans worn in any of the restaurants in the evening.

Askandyaboutclothes.com defines Resort Casual:

. COUNTRY CLUB, or DRESSY, RESORT CASUAL, CASUAL CHIC: Apparel that you’d wear to a private country club for lunch or dinner. Dress trousers, sports shirt, dress shirt or knit polo shirt, a sweater or sport jacket and leather shoes/belt. It’s also appropriate for an off-site seminar, a party at a friend’s home or dinner at a nice restaurant. And yes the elements in your attire may have cost MORE than a good suit!!

Even our own Cruist Critic website -- the place where we'll all posting right now to answer all of our cruise-related questions -- suggests:

While many passengers dress to the nines, some, quite frankly, show up for events looking like slobs. This is not a good nor pleasant event. For the sake of all around you, please dress according to the shipboard code, which is always outlined in the daily program. If "formal" wear is requested that means a tuxedo or suit for men, cocktail dress or gown for women. Informal means jacket and perhaps a tie, attractive evening outfit for women; casual translates into chic resort wear, not warm-ups, short shorts or blue jeans.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T.Seago:
THANK YOU!!!! Someone that enjoys vacationing!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>So let me see. "Doesn't like casual dress" = "enjoys vacationing". Therefore, you suggest, all the rest of us who like to dress up on formal night [B]don't[/B] enjoy ourselves? How rude.

Anyway, it looks like all that's happened is that we've wandered into an intra-office argument being conducted on this message board, and that at least one side of the argument thinks they know it all.

'Nuff said.

T.Seago QUOTE:
-----------------------------------------------

One time our "formal night" fell on a day we spent diving with sharks/sting rays in Belize....

Now I ask you...who want to rush back and take forever getting ready afer an exhausting day??? Not me!
----------------------------------------------
I have done that as well. I totaly understand the rush. We just could not get all dressed up in the time we had left , so we went to the windjammer. This kind of thing happens. I certainly would not dream of showing up to dinner without my Tux for formal night.

Part of the Cruise is being part of the Experience [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

THANK YOU!!! However....we still went to the nice place...I paid for it...I am not gonna miss it!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Folgy:
T.Seago QUOTE:
-----------------------------------------------

One time our "formal night" fell on a day we spent diving with sharks/sting rays in Belize....

Now I ask you...who want to rush back and take forever getting ready afer an exhausting day??? Not me!
----------------------------------------------
I have done that as well. I totaly understand the rush. We just could not get all dressed up in the time we had left , so we went to the windjammer. This kind of thing happens. I certainly would not dream of showing up to dinner without my Tux for formal night.

Part of the Cruise is being part of the Experience [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We are not arguing about this at all....We are actually getting a kick out of it...We know you can wear whatever you wanna wear...

Some of these people are goning overboard....pardon the pun.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Globaliser:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T.Seago:
THANK YOU!!!! Someone that enjoys vacationing!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>So let me see. "Doesn't like casual dress" = "enjoys vacationing". Therefore, you suggest, all the rest of us who like to dress up on formal night _don't_ enjoy ourselves? How rude.

Anyway, it looks like all that's happened is that we've wandered into an intra-office argument being conducted on this message board, and that at least one side of the argument thinks they know it all.

'Nuff said.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I said 95% of the women are pretty dressed up. I never said they were in gowns.

I said that I am betting that at least 60% of the men were at a minimum in a sport coat and tie.

I am pretty comfortable with my estimates.

Gisi, I wish you joy on your honeymoon cruise, and always remember it is your cruise, and only you know what kind of experience you want to have.

jc

People are being nasty to me ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder why? Let's have a look at two previous posts:-<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T.Seago:
Nuff? How old are you and who taught you to spell? Writing like that makes me think you might be not-so-bright.

I believe you meant to use the word "enough."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T.Seago:
Can you people not spell? It is "enough."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

People started being nasty way up top....By the time I reached these posters, I was already angry...Start form the top, please.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Globaliser:
People are being nasty to me ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder why? Let's have a look at two previous posts:-<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T.Seago:
Nuff? How old are you and who taught you to spell? Writing like that makes me think you might be not-so-bright.

I believe you meant to use the word "enough."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T.Seago:
Can you people not spell? It is "enough."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

T.Seago quote:
--------------------------------------------
THANK YOU!!! However....we still went to the nice place...I paid for it...I am not gonna miss it!!!
---------------------------------------------

That says it all.

'nuff said.

Says what?
That because I choose to go smart casual....WHICH IS ALLOWED....that I am not entitled to a dinner that I paid for? Not everyone feels the need to get all dressed up for dinner. It was not a requirement and I didn't do it. Nothing wrong with that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Folgy:
T.Seago quote:
--------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------

That says it all.

'nuff said.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Says what?
That because I choose to go smart casual....WHICH IS ALLOWED....that I am not entitled to a dinner that I paid for? Not everyone feels the need to get all dressed up for dinner. It was not a requirement and I didn't do it. Nothing wrong with that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Amazing how someone who wants to lecture everyone about the spelling of "enough" is unable to recognise the meaning of the words "respect", "courtesy" or "consideration", to put them into reverse alphabetical order.

'Nuff said, really.

We are not arguing about this at all....We are actually getting a kick out of it...We know you can wear whatever you wanna wear...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Obviously the royal "we". If Gisi already "knew", she wouldn't have asked the question here. She obviously wants other people's views, not just yours.

T. Seago You, as a certified TA, and an experienced (3) cruiser, are doing your friend a diservice by telling her to wear what she wants on formal night. I think a small (large) part of you wanted to give her the wrong information.

I think this is getting ridiculous. It would never ruin my night if I were dressed more formally than the next person. I am on a cruise, to have a blast, to enjoy myself, to make memories... not to judge others. I think its safe to dress the way you would dress for a night wedding. I am also in my twenties and not the type to wear a bead-encrusted floor length gown. My husband wears a suit and tie; not a tux.

I have been on other ships...Here is an excerpt from an article in a travel magazine...

Much excitement and mystery surrounds the “formal nights” on cruises. It’s customary to have one formal night on a 5-day cruise, more in proportion on longer cruises. On my first cruise, I wondered what it would be like, how dressed-up people got, and what I would feel comfortable in.

Let me fill you in! I speak on cruise lines, and I’ve been on the Royal Caribbean, Costa and Carnival cruise lines lately.

Formal wear is officially defined as a tux or dark suit, white shirt and tie for men, and evening wear, cocktail dresses, fancy pantsuits or evening gowns for women. However, it’s ’03 folks, and I would consider Formal Night an opportunity to go formal, if you like to, but not an obligation.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hdawson:
Me thinks that TSeago likes to make her own rules. Of course her experience is more Disney that does not have a formal night standard.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

INteresting that T.Seago's first post to the thread was "don't listen to these people". After three cruises and some designation as a Certified Travel Agent. she obviously is an expert at cruising. BTW what designation does she have from CLIA? And you will definitely thank her for giving such good advice based on her vast experience. Other than Disney, what other lines has she cruised on?

That is an asanine statement...Why would I want to give her misinformation? She is a dear friend of mine.

She has seen my pictures and has seen what I wore on formal nights...We fit in just fine...I still wore either a dress or a skirt...never a really fancy dress...IMO it is more important to be comfortable. I wanted her to know that being really formal is not "crusie ship law."

I am cruising Alaska in May and I will still not go "formal" on formal night. IMO it is too much hassle. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mafig:
T. Seago You, as a certified TA, and an experienced (3) cruiser, are doing your friend a diservice by telling her to wear what she wants on formal night. I think a small (large) part of you wanted to give her the wrong information.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived