Fire on the zuiderdam last night

bobbyd6363

DW and I were sailing on RCI Adventurer of the Seas (AOS) when our ship received a distress call from a HAL cruise ship (not sure of the ship's name or location) that it had a fire onboard. The AOS captain turned our ship around and headed in the direction of the HAL ship. Fortunately, the HAL got the situation under control and called off assistance. Later in the day, our Captain informed us of what had occurred in the wee hours of the morning. This was more than a minor fire to issue a distress call. I have never sailed on HAL and after reading about all these fires I will probably never will.

What night of your cruise was it exactly? Heading to which port?

Trying to piece the thing together.

DW and I were sailing on RCI Adventurer of the Seas (AOS) when our ship received a distress call from a HAL cruise ship (not sure of the ship's name or location) that it had a fire onboard. The AOS captain turned our ship around and headed in the direction of the HAL ship. Fortunately, the HAL got the situation under control and called off assistance. Later in the day, our Captain informed us of what had occurred in the wee hours of the morning. This was more than a minor fire to issue a distress call. I have never sailed on HAL and after reading about all these fires I will probably never will.

Read ya loud and clear!! And you base that on the undeniable fact that RCI, unlike HAL, Princess, Carnival, Celebrity, NCL, Costa, Cunard, etc, etc. does not, never had and never will have shipboard fires, no matter how small onboard their 'of the seas' ships?

I do not know what ships and with which companies you have cruised, but it could well be company policy related. As for HAL, our policy is to sound the alarm throughout the ship as soon as we get any confirmation of fire or smoke, no matter how small. This to have the fire fighting teams respond as soon as possible. We'd rather inconvenience the guests by waking them up for a small fire that is then controlled within a couple of minutes than waiting for it to escalate and having to go to abandon ship procedures straight away...
Interesting. There were several people on my cruise who insisted that people were completely over-reacting to the alarm; that we should have known it was just for the fire fighting teams. However, when you are at Muster, and it's also printed on the notice in your cabin, when you hear the 7 short/1 long, you get your butt in gear, get dressed, grab a jacket and start putting together your medications. I wish they announced at Muster that you should do this but rather than run to your lifeboat, to remain where you are and listen for further instructions. When you are awakened at 2AM, your brain is not working at 100% so most people are not thinking clearly. I found that it took one alarm to wake me up, two alarms to realize this was for real, and by the third alarm, I was out of bed, grabbing my clothes.

Interesting. There were several people on my cruise who insisted that people were completely over-reacting to the alarm; that we should have known it was just for the fire fighting teams. However, when you are at Muster, and it's also printed on the notice in your cabin, when you hear the 7 short/1 long, you get your butt in gear, get dressed, grab a jacket and start putting together your medications. I wish they announced at Muster that you should do this but rather than run to your lifeboat, to remain where you are and listen for further instructions. When you are awakened at 2AM, your brain is not working at 100% so most people are not thinking clearly. I found that it took one alarm to wake me up, two alarms to realize this was for real, and by the third alarm, I was out of bed, grabbing my clothes.

IIRC we were told at muster to stay in our cabins and await further instructions.

Read ya loud and clear!! And you base that on the undeniable fact that RCI, unlike HAL, Princess, Carnival, Celebrity, NCL, Costa, Cunard, etc, etc. does not, never had and never will have shipboard fires, no matter how small onboard their 'of the seas' ships?

***giggle***

I'm 2-for-2 on RCCL with no fires. Therefore, RCCL NEVER has fires!

Isn't that good logic? :rolleyes:

What night of your cruise was it exactly? Heading to which port?

Trying to piece the thing together.

We left Curacao on the afternoon of Wednesday, November 12 and were sailing to our next destination of St. Martin. According to our Captain, we received a distress call from a HAL cruise ship (he did not identify which one) in the early hours of Thursday, November 13.

We left Curacao on the afternoon of Wednesday, November 12 and were sailing to our next destination of St. Martin. According to our Captain, we received a distress call from a HAL cruise ship (he did not identify which one) in the early hours of Thursday, November 13.

This was the one on the Zuiderdam.

We also had a fire on the Zuiderdam during our Nov 9 cruise. Nothing like having the fire alarm go off at 3 AM to get the pulse rate up.

Our fire was in the wind box in the engine room.

The cruise director is Jesse Highly, a very talented and entertaining young man.

What the heck is a "wind box?" Sounds like part of a pipe organ? :cool:

Archived