Fire on the zuiderdam last night

bobbyd6363

Hi. Melissa Baldwin, Cruise Critic's managing editor, is currently onboard Zuiderdam now and reports:

"Hi everyone, we are on our second full sea day today (our call at Half Moon Cay was, sadly, canceled due to rough seas -- but looking out there, I can understand why!).

"There was also a small electrical fire last night in a machine room electrical cabinet; the whole ordeal was over in 10 minutes and it didn't affect any passenger cabins or public spaces, though people in the surrounding cabins were evacuated as a precaution (then sent right back). I've never been onboard a ship during this type of situation and I have to say it was handled quickly and professionally. The cruise director came on the PA every few minutes with an update.

"My brother, who's traveling with me, was on his way down to meet me in the Queens Lounge at the time and said that the fire crew were racing up the stairs with all matter of equipment. A couple of people didn't hear the message instructing passengers to stay where they were and not to worry, and so some showed up on deck in robes and life vests, but otherwise the show went on, literally -- I was watching the karaoke tryouts at the time and nobody left. Ironically, when the alarm went off the couple on stage was singing "Ring of Fire"....I swear, I could not make that up. Oh, and let me tell you that Holland America passengers rock out at karaoke!

"Will continue to post from the ship, so keep sharing your questions!"

Hopefully that quells your concerns! By the way, Melissa is responding to questions about her Panama Canal cruise on Zuiderdam this week; go here to check out her thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=882596

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

My best freind is currently on the 29 November Zuiderdam sailing and she sent me a text this morning that there was a FIRE onboard last night and that it is now out. Has anyone got any new information?!!!!

I believe we can most likely assume all is safe aboard Zuiderdam or it would be splashed all over the news if heaven forbid there was a tragic emergency. :eek: If your friend said the fire was last night and he sent the message this morning, I think we'd know if it was something very worrisome.

- - - - - - - - - -

Edited....... Carolyn and I were posting at the same time. Thanks for giving us the full story, Carolyn. Enjoy yourself!

My daughter called me earlier from the ship today. She didn't mention the fire. All she wanted to talk about was the President Elect's newest cabinet appointment. Guess a small fire wasn't worth mentioning. :p

We had a small fire on the Prinsendam during my cruise in October. The alarm went off just before 2AM. Like you said, people reacted very differently. Some grabbed their life jackets and ran to "their" lifeboat in their jammies without even knowing whether it was safe to do so. Others milled around the corridors wondering what was going on. Yes, I got dressed and was reaching for my life jacket when the Captain came on the PA to say that it was an electrical fire in the Lido cooler (industrial refrigerator); the transformer for the cooler had caused the fire. He urged us to stay where we were. Five minutes later, he came back on the PA to say that the fire was out, the electricity had been turned off to the cooler, and he was stationing a fire crew there for the rest of the night to make sure it didn't flare up again.

The reality is that if there is a fire or any other emergency, the Captain and staff want you in a safe place until they can evaluate the situation. Rushing to your lifeboat without knowing it's safe to do so is not the right thing to do no matter what they tell you at muster. Consider the Star Princess fire. If people had raced to their lifeboats, their lives would have been in serious danger.

Little fires happen all the time. If it happens to you, make sure you're dressed, get your medications and life jacket, and wait for more information.

We also had a fire on the Zuiderdam during our Nov 9 cruise. Nothing like having the fire alarm go off at 3 AM to get the pulse rate up.

Our fire was in the wind box in the engine room.

The cruise director is Jesse Highly, a very talented and entertaining young man.

Hi. Melissa Baldwin, Cruise Critic's managing editor, is currently onboard Zuiderdam now and reports:

"Hi everyone, we are on our second full sea day today (our call at Half Moon Cay was, sadly, canceled due to rough seas -- but looking out there, I can understand why!).

"There was also a small electrical fire last night in a machine room electrical cabinet; the whole ordeal was over in 10 minutes and it didn't affect any passenger cabins or public spaces, though people in the surrounding cabins were evacuated as a precaution (then sent right back). I've never been onboard a ship during this type of situation and I have to say it was handled quickly and professionally. The cruise director came on the PA every few minutes with an update.

"My brother, who's traveling with me, was on his way down to meet me in the Queens Lounge at the time and said that the fire crew were racing up the stairs with all matter of equipment. A couple of people didn't hear the message instructing passengers to stay where they were and not to worry, and so some showed up on deck in robes and life vests, but otherwise the show went on, literally -- I was watching the karaoke tryouts at the time and nobody left. Ironically, when the alarm went off the couple on stage was singing "Ring of Fire"....I swear, I could not make that up. Oh, and let me tell you that Holland America passengers rock out at karaoke!

"Will continue to post from the ship, so keep sharing your questions!"

Hopefully that quells your concerns! By the way, Melissa is responding to questions about her Panama Canal cruise on Zuiderdam this week; go here to check out her thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=882596

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

I'm glad the fire was minor and confined to a cabinet.

Jesse last cruise before taking a break was ours over Thanksgiving...so he disembarked Nov 29th.... he was excellent...funny and yet very genuine and concerned about passengers and the staff he worked with.... he will be back I believe on a different ship...don't know who was to be his replacement... DB

We also had a fire on the Zuiderdam during our Nov 9 cruise. Nothing like having the fire alarm go off at 3 AM to get the pulse rate up.
Don't you just love it when they say, "Sorry to disturb you. Please go back to sleep." As if you can?? Not a chance. The adrenalin is pumping too fast and furiously. We had a lot of people grumbling why they had to disturb everyone for a fire that was out in five minutes. My guess is that they are required by law to do so but also, they need to alert passengers that there is a problem in case the situation escalates.

We had a similar incident while on the Noordam this past summer. the fire was in the air conditioning system. Alarm went off just as we were getting ready for bed. The Captain came on immediately and told the passengers what was happening and to stay calm and tuned in for instructions. A short minute or two later, he came back on to say that all was well. ;)

Don't you just love it when they say, "Sorry to disturb you. Please go back to sleep." As if you can?? Not a chance. The adrenalin is pumping too fast and furiously. We had a lot of people grumbling why they had to disturb everyone for a fire that was out in five minutes. My guess is that they are required by law to do so but also, they need to alert passengers that there is a problem in case the situation escalates.

Better to be notified, awake with a semi-clear head and ready for the next step if it were to come to that, than suddenly awoken and having to follow emergency instructions in a semi-stupor!:cool:

Better to be notified, awake with a semi-clear head and ready for the next step if it were to come to that, than suddenly awoken and having to follow emergency instructions in a semi-stupor!:cool:
Oh, I'm sure. I had no problem with it but a lot of people were grumbling, slamming the Captain for waking them up, whining about why the Captain couldn't have just told them about it in the morning. I know, I know. :)

Oh, I'm sure. I had no problem with it but a lot of people were grumbling, slamming the Captain for waking them up, whining about why the Captain couldn't have just told them about it in the morning. I know, I know. :)

Sounds like the same nice folks who can't stop flapping their lips for 20-25 minutes during the lifeboat drill;)

I have NEVER encountered a fire until I sailed the Eurodam on November 8th. Why does everyone act so matter of fact about fires on HAL. In 40 years of cruising I have never had this happen before. There are at least 5 fires listed on the HAL boards for the past 2 months!

I have NEVER encountered a fire until I sailed the Eurodam on November 8th. Why does everyone act so matter of fact about fires on HAL. In 40 years of cruising I have never had this happen before. There are at least 5 fires listed on the HAL boards for the past 2 months!

I do not know what ships and with which companies you have cruised, but it could well be company policy related. As for HAL, our policy is to sound the alarm throughout the ship as soon as we get any confirmation of fire or smoke, no matter how small. This to have the fire fighting teams respond as soon as possible. We'd rather inconvenience the guests by waking them up for a small fire that is then controlled within a couple of minutes than waiting for it to escalate and having to go to abandon ship procedures straight away...

I cannot believe that fires would only occur on HAL and not on any of the other cruiselines.

I do not know what ships and with which companies you have cruised, but it could well be company policy related. As for HAL, our policy is to sound the alarm throughout the ship as soon as we get any confirmation of fire or smoke, no matter how small. This to have the fire fighting teams respond as soon as possible. We'd rather inconvenience the guests by waking them up for a small fire that is then controlled within a couple of minutes than waiting for it to escalate and having to go to abandon ship procedures straight away...

I cannot believe that fires would only occur on HAL and not on any of the other cruiselines.

As a retired Firefighter, I fully agree!

As a retired Firefighter, I fully agree!

As an active firefighter I fully agree!

I have been on another line when there was a fire. It was small and quickly controlled; but, they did not sound the alarm throughout the ship. There was an announcement, but, it could only be heard in the public areas. I happened to be awake and could just catch a bit of the announcement. I turned my TV to the channel that carried "public area" announcements, so I could listen for the all clear. Like HAL's procedures much better!

DW and I were sailing on RCI Adventurer of the Seas (AOS) when our ship received a distress call from a HAL cruise ship (not sure of the ship's name or location) that it had a fire onboard. The AOS captain turned our ship around and headed in the direction of the HAL ship. Fortunately, the HAL got the situation under control and called off assistance. Later in the day, our Captain informed us of what had occurred in the wee hours of the morning. This was more than a minor fire to issue a distress call. I have never sailed on HAL and after reading about all these fires I will probably never will.

Archived