Just back from Mariner 11/23 sailing

kathyemma

We had a WONDERFUL time! The weather was almost perfect - just an hour or so of rain. I will post a review later - if anyone has any questions - feel free to ask! My only 2 complaints - the apple pie - I try it year after year - and it is always awful. Am I the only one who hates it?? I guess my mom spoiled me with hers. And I am pretty sure my bed had bed bugs. I am covered with little bug bites.

Kathy

We had a WONDERFUL time! The weather was almost perfect - just an hour or so of rain. I will post a review later - if anyone has any questions - feel free to ask! My only 2 complaints - the apple pie - I try it year after year - and it is always awful. Am I the only one who hates it?? I guess my mom spoiled me with hers. And I am pretty sure my bed had bed bugs. I am covered with little bug bites.

Kathy

Kathy - I was on the Mariner the week before you, and I have the same opinion of the apple pie. I think it is the crust that makes it seem so soggy?

BED BUGS???? :eek::eek: I really hope not!!! Just in case it is, you do realize that you have to disinfect EVERYTHING you took with you, including your suitcases, or you will bring these little nasties into your house :eek::eek:

Kathy

Thats stinks!! If it is bed bugs I hope they get it rid of them before I cruise in a few months.....what room were you in?

Glad you enjoyed your cruise, we can't wait!! :)

First off I was in room 9622 - EXCELLENT location!!! I did tell the front desk - so I hope they did something for the next passengers. The man I spoke to said he had them in his cabin once too. Once again, not 100% I had them - but really no other way to explain the bites - but to be on the safe side should I just spray everything with Lysol? Would that take care of them?

Thanks -

Kathy

First off I was in room 9622 - EXCELLENT location!!! I did tell the front desk - so I hope they did something for the next passengers. The man I spoke to said he had them in his cabin once too. Once again, not 100% I had them - but really no other way to explain the bites - but to be on the safe side should I just spray everything with Lysol? Would that take care of them?

Thanks -

Kathy

Not an expert on this but I do not think lysol will work for bedbugs. There are several products that you can get to spray down suitcases etc just in case. I would isolate your clothes and suitcases somewhere for now just in case and find soemthing specifically for them if that is what you think you have encountered.

Here are a few chemical free products that show up if you search for bedbugs that would be safer to use at this stage rather than spraying chemcials on everything for no reason but full eradication if you did bring them home may require chemical and non-chemical treatment:

http://www.kleen-free.com

http://www.natureplex.com

http://www.nixalite.com

Bedbug bites may not be what you have experienced though. The bites tend to be in a straight line and they are incredily itchy. They also tend to be focussed on the torso and arms.

It could be fleas, mites etc if this does not sound right to you. Some of the chemical free sprays will likely work on these insects as well.

I am glad that you mentioned this to RCCL as they will want to spray that cabin in case there is something that needs killed in the room.

As well, most bugs travel so if they are in that cabin, they are likely in the adjoining ones as well.

Hopefully just a heat rash that will go away in a day or two instead of any kind of infestation. Glad the trip was good.

Bedbugs are a big phobia for me as I have had a friend that has spent alot of time and money trying to get rid of them and they are a huge issue in hotels and major cities right now and I travel alot so trying to stay bedbug free is a goal for me.

Kathy

To change the subject from bedbugs (which I commented on already)

Not sure I have ever ordered the apple pie but there is a huge difference between good apple pie and bad apple pie, so I hear you on that one.

Was there any entree or other food item that really stood out for you?

Thanks.

Other than the apple pie - everything was wonderful! They are still lacking in desserts (I LOVE chocolate - and they didn't have a lot of chocolate). I usually go with the recomended dinner and it was great every night. The lamb was wonderful. For thanksgiving they had turkey - which I dont like so I got the steak - it was good but not great.

I am still not sure about the bed bugs. Couldn't be anything from the water - cuz I never went in the water. But sand fleas - maybe. I did sit on the beach at all 3 islands. To be on the safe side I am going to spray down everything!! But they are either going to spray down my room or put a new bed in there - so hopefully whoever is enjoying the room this week isnt getting eaten alive while they sleep!

Kathy

BTW, we got apple pie two days in a row as a suggested dessert. I dunno about bed bugs but I woke up every night sneezing and with a stuffy nose. I assumed it was the mojitos I had.

Did you like the pie? The crust was blah and the apples had no taste. The menu said they use golden delicious apples and I always use macintosh. That is probably one of the reasons I don't like it. Their warm chocolate cake was wonderful as was their flourless chocolate cake - just wish it was a big piece and not a sample!!

Kathy

When I make apple pie, I use half granny smith and half golden delicious. I always cook the apples first and then bring them to room temperature to allow the liquid to thicken, then I bake it. It makes a huge difference! I always loved my grandmother's. She had recently passed but she left some of her secrets with us. Thanks Grandma! I miss you!

Hi Kathy,

Oh you made me squirm about bed bugs :eek: hope not!

This is our first cruise .. could you tell me what is in the room (we're in a balcony) for toiletries? trying to pack as light as we can.

Also is there anything that you didn't take that you wished you would have?

Judy

Kathy,

We had an OS on the Mariner OTS on 11/09/08 and had several bug bites as well. This didn't occur until the 2nd day after we had been at CocoCay so I'm "assuming" it was sand flees! Those little buggers are ferocious and actually bite worse than bed bugs.:eek::eek:

I took all of our stuff outside when we got home, did the laundry immediately, and all seems to be fine. We actually experienced this same situation on a Disney Cruise after being at their private island. Sand everywhere!

I did mention my concerns to the Hotel Director. He was very concerned and did come and inspect the bedding. All was okay. We had a fabulous time on the Mariner! Glad you enjoyed your trip too!

Hi Kathy,

Oh you made me squirm about bed bugs :eek: hope not!

This is our first cruise .. could you tell me what is in the room (we're in a balcony) for toiletries? trying to pack as light as we can.

Also is there anything that you didn't take that you wished you would have?

Judy

They have shampoo - in a dispenser in the shower. No conditioner. They give you little bars of soap but they dry my skin out. I always pack small bars of my own soap. So, pack it all!

Sorry.

Kathy

Thanks Kathy for your help :)

What night is lobster served? My son is salivating:D and we don't want to miss it.

thanks

Judy

I THINK it was Friday night. But remember - I sailed during Thanksgiving - so something things get changed around b/c of the Thanksgiving dinner.

kathy

Archived