Carrying on soda & water on Costa Fortuna

doxiegal

Hi, I have an upcoming cruise booked on the Costa Fortuna sailing out of Fprt lauderdale next month. I am wondering if anybody out there has carried on soda either in the checked luggage or as a carry on. I have always done this with Carnival and RCCL and never had a problem. Yet today when I spoke to the Rep. at Costa, she said that is not allowed. She said I am not even allowed to carry on candy. Are they serious? Do they really check your luggage and carry ons? Any info. would be appreciated.

My wife and 2 little boys and I went on the Mediteranea last Feb. out of Ft. Lauderdale. We took an extra empty suitcase and had are taxi stop at a grocery store on the way, I bought 2/12 packs of pop and a case of 24 bottles of water. We packed it in the suitcase, got to the pier and gave all our luggage to the porter and 1 hour later it was in our room. We asked the room steward to empty our bar fridge and we filled it with our own stuff, whenever we went off the ship we took our own water. You can add the little ice tea powder packs or other powder flavors. :)

I don't believe that you are able to bring beverages on board out in the open, but we've always put a couple 12-packs of Coke Zero in our suitcases and never had a problem. We've also packed a few bottles of wine (in bubble wrap) and they've made it through okay too.

We were on the Costa Med last April in Caribbean and were surprised to see people carrying packs of soda and water in the open back onboard when they returned from daytrips and getting through security with no problem. I thought you could not do that, but people were doing it on our cruise. :DThey were however, very strict on liquor and took that from you immediately and only returned it at cruise end! :mad: I would stock up a suitcase before you depart! I will certainly do that nextime.

• 1 month later...

Every cruise I have ever been on, I bring my own bottled water and soda. Always. I have a couple of different rolling coolers. You can get them at Walmart or Sam's. I fill them up and stick a luggage tag on them and they come right up to our room no problem. Then I use the cooler for my laundry bag on the way home or if I purchase liquor onboard, I sometimes put it in there and roll it off or like I said, if it is just laundry, I put it outside my door with my suitcases and pick it up at the pier. I also bring mixes if I bring mini's with me. Oh and another hint, I always give the room steward ten bucks when I first see him and tell him to please keep my cooler filled at all times with ice. And my sodas, water or whatever are always ice cold.

just pack it in your luggage and hand it off to the guys at the pier. We just came off Fortuna today and packed a few 2 liters and a 12pk of Pepsi and had no problem. We also carried 2 liters onboard from the ports of call we visited and did not have any problems. No one cared.

• 4 weeks later...

That you might have to call Costa and ask them about. Most ships don't like you to carry wine onboard. But then again if you were to slip it into your luggage wrapped up nice and tight in bubble wrap, towels and a plastic bag, just bring your own cork screw.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from Costa Fortuna. Those of us who packed canned soda in our "checked" luggage had no problem. Those of us who had bottled soda in our carry-on had no problem. Those who had cans in their carry-on had to leave them behind at the security scanner. If only they would have pepsi products somewhere on board, I'd be fine buying the soda. Unfortunately, diet Mt. Dew is my coffee.

• 1 month later...

this will probably never get replied since last post was a month ago, but...

Clubber, Fortuna was caribbean sailing? we're looking at Atlantic in december. like you, diet dew :-)

so you're saying, at ports, bottled water and soda went through, but they would make you leave cans?!!

can you please confirm?

OR anyone else with experience (preferably caribbean since i think they may do different in europe).

thanks

On embarkation day, we put the soda & water in an extra suitcase and handed it off to the porters. It arrived in our room 2 hours later, no problem. Then when we go back on the boat after port visits, we placed the soda (2 liters) pepsi cans, and bottled water in a big beach bag and it went right through. The guy watching the scanner even saw it never said a word. So I would imagine, you would have no problem bringing it onboard, we did'nt.

We never had a problem taking drinks on board Costa Mediterranea in Ft. Lauderdale, not even a bottle Whisky in our hand luggage. It went through the scanner and no one said a thing. We like to have a pre-dinner drink on the balcony while we are getting ready.

Regarding the wines in the special services section on the Costa website, that is not their entire choice. That is the list you can choose from to pre-order. On board in the dinner dining rooms there is a wider choice and always a reccomendation or red or white, to go with that evenings dinner.

Have a good cruise.

• 1 month later...

Archived