Daily "service charges" going up... wayyyy up

CruisinEurope

DISCLAIMER: I am not saying the crew doesn't deserve the tips.

Now, with that said, I too wish the charges were already in your fare.

I don't like add-on or hidden charges... just put them into the fare, tell us they are there, and that would be fine.

This goes for all forms of service and related fees... be they travel or otherwise.... I simply don't like hidden fees and I am sure many feel the same.

ABSOLUTELY

I agree 1000000%.

I have absolutely no problem with the tipping - BUT - I do wish that it was included in the base price ... or at least a line item like they do the fuel surcharges, etc.

If your logic held water then the service on most cruise lines would be *horrible* because almost all lines place the suggested amount on your account automatically. In my experience the crew on board offers fantastic service, across the board and over the years. The automatic tipping had done nothing to diminish that.

I completely agree with you. Every time I see someone post that they think autotip leads to a decline in service, I shake my head. I often wonder if they slack off on their own jobs if nobody is offering them a bonus for doing their best. I think we all tend to perceive others based on our own outlooks and motivations. Why would you assume someone else thinks that way if you don't yourself? When I have a job to do, I do it to the best of my abilities, regardless of compensation or potential for tips, so I expect the same from others. As a result, I base my opinion about the service on NCL ships on my actual experience - which has been exemplary. I have never received poor service on any NCL ship and in fact, most staff I have encountered have been what I would call excellent or better. I should add that I do believe that there are some employees who do slack off - like a student that does only enough homework to get a 'C' when a little extra effort would earn an 'A'. I just think that the slackers are in the minority and that it's extremely insulting to assume that an entire group of people are fundamentally lazy and mercenary and won't do their best unless there is a possibility of additional compensation.

Someone mentioned that their greatest concern was how much of the autocharge actually makes it to the staff when it goes through the company first. My immediate thought when I read that was, 'Probably More than they would have received if it was left up to the passengers to tip on their own.' I believe the autocharge was implemented due to the vast number of passengers who on traditional cruises will disembark without tipping anyone - and of course when there's a pool, staff who don't usually come into contact with the public can be included as well. I remember one of my first jobs as a 'salad girl' at the Keg restaurant here. They had a tipping pool and it was really nice at the end of the night to get my little cut, because I had worked hard all night as well, and unlike the servers, I interacted with almost every customer.

There was also a mention of the kids' charges and how messy they can be, etc. and I had to laugh because someone said, 'Don't try to tell me how 'neat' your child is...' Well, on one of the cruises my family took when I was a kid, my sister spent a full sea day cleaning and organizing their kid's room. It wasn't a big centre like they have now, just a room with some craft supplies and a few toys, but it was spic and span by the time she left that day!! ha ha ha Of course, while she maybe earned a tip herself that day, I'm sure I made up for it by being a 'normal kid'. :p

I'm curious how they charge the service fee? WE are travelling with two children 7 and 3. Do they charge them the service fee as well??

Starting January 1, on NCL ships, everyone - large, small, young (3 and older), old, will be charged a service fee of $12 per person per day. This will be added on to your on-board account, payable on the last day of your cruise (or put on your credit card.)

We disagree.That's what makes America great.

Al

So, you're saying service on cruises is generally horrible? You said auto tipping leads to bad service. Where is your evidence?

And I hate to remind you, but CC is not "America". People from all over post here and yes, we're encouraged to offer our own points of view. And sometimes people are just flat wrong about things.

I will also point out that the service charge is not "hidden" as someone else posted.

If you can't afford to tip then you can't afford the cruise! I've had to cancel cruises in the past when the numbers didn't crunch right and I lived to sail again when money was less tight. Stuff happens. I don't whine about paying tips for crew.

I have always been a very good tipper, usually well more than 20% for a well served diner, but I am totally against mandatory service charges. I believe they breed poor service, and a lack of motivation by the person providing the service. Below is the quote from NCL's web site at the point where a fare is quoted, and the next click is my booking a cruise. It does not tell me that for a family of two adults and two 3 to ? kids, I am on the hook for $48 per day, which is a healthy chunk of money, for a young couple, in these trying times.

"Fares shown are in U.S. dollars and are per person. Government taxes, fees, and fuel supplement are included. Guests booked on sailings that depart in 2009 may qualify for a refund of fuel supplement paid in form of an on-board credit. Fuel supplement will no longer apply to bookings for sailings that depart on or after January 1, 2010. Click here for details about the Fuel Supplement. Onboard service charges are additional and will be automatically added to your onboard account, and are subject to your discretion. Offers are for new reservations only, based on availability, capacity controlled, not combinable with other offers, subject to change or cancellation without notice, and may be withdrawn at any time. Other restrictions apply."

I wish the cruise lines would include the mandatory gratuity/service charge into the quoted fare, pay their employees a proper salary, and let us decide if an employee deserves something extra. I would venture to say, more than 80% of new cruisers have total sticker shock when they get on board and learn the extra cost of their cruise. Using my example, that couple would have a start point, on their on board account at $336, for a 7 day cruise. Then, those of us on CC say, throw the waiter a couple of bucks if the service is good, so there is another $8 per meal.

I am old, my kids are grown, but I can tell you, I would probably have been in serious debt if I discovered these big outlays, after I had booked my cruise, and perhaps at final bill time.

Al

If they wait until they get onboard, they may well be shocked. But other than the fuel surcharge, which fluctuates, ALL the fees are spelled out on NCL's pages. A calculator at hand would be a good thing. Total it up, and you'll get a pretty good estimate of what you're going to be spending. Presumably the couple in your example would have figured out that if they want to order drinks, excursions, spa treatments and go to specialty restaurants they'd have to pay more, but if they stay with the basic cruise..and use a $2 calculator..they'd be able to know what they'll be expected to cough up at the end of the cruise. It clearly says, right here in the paragraph you're quoting, "Onboard service charges are additional and will be automatically added to your onboard account, and are subject to your discretion." So before you go to the next click, seems reasonable that you'd ask, "Service charges?? What service charges?? How much are they??" and figure that out before you click on.

At least I would.

I think the service fees are a real bargain for what we get on a cruise. I wouldn't complain if it were more than $12/person/day (please cruise lines don't look at this! LOL).

For me, it's not the amount; it's the way they do it. Service charges, fuel surcharges, extra charges for soft drinks and coffee. Why can't they just raise the fare so that you know in advance exactly what it is going to cost?

In addition, I think that it's even worse when they try to pass off the service charge as tips. When its added to your bill and everyone gets it, its is no longer a tip, but a service charge and it should just be added to the fare.

But that is only my opinion.

ABSOLUTELY

I agree 1000000%.

I have absolutely no problem with the tipping - BUT - I do wish that it was included in the base price ... or at least a line item like they do the fuel surcharges, etc.

I can't disagree with this, simply for the fact that I think a lot of people do perceive the charge as 'hidden' because it's not made more clear when you're pricing your cruise. On the other hand, though, there has always been an expectation of tipping at the end of your cruise, so the only real difference is how it's implemented - and of course the fact that if you were to do it on your own with those pesky little envelopes, you'd likely be handing out more (and the staff would be getting less due to the number of cruisers that wouldn't do it). Also, the charge is noted on the website for those who do a little research, and technically it's not part of the 'price' of the cruise. In addition, if you really think the service has been bad, you can have it removed. :)

For me, it's not the amount; it's the way they do it. Service charges, fuel surcharges, extra charges for soft drinks and coffee. Why can't they just raise the fare so that you know in advance exactly what it is going to cost?

In addition, I think that it's even worse when they try to pass off the service charge as tips. When its added to your bill and everyone gets it, its is no longer a tip, but a service charge and it should just be added to the fare.

But that is only my opinion.

As I see it, the reason those items are not added to the fare is:

1) The autocharge is not mandatory; you CAN have it removed, which you would not be able to do if it was included in your fare.

2) The fuel surcharge is not set and depends on current world oil prices. I don't know about you, but I don't want to have to pay the fuel surcharge if gas is cheap on my sailing. (looking forward to that OBC in January!)

3) I think you're mistaken about coffee and tea not being included, but even if they weren't, I don't drink coffee or tea and rarely drink soft drinks on board. I don't want to pay for yours or anyone else's if I can otherwise have a reduced fare. NCL is about choices; if you want everything included, I think you'll have a hard time finding a line that does it at a fare that differs from NCL's by only the amount you pay for those items on board.

I see a lot of people on this board who complain about how NCL does things. They don't like the autocharge, they don't like the idea of surcharge restaurants, they think soft drinks should be included in their fare, etc. There's nothing wrong with feeling this way, I just don't know why they would use the product if it's not what they're looking for. There are plenty of cruise lines to choose from; if Freestyle isn't your thing, it just makes sense to me to spend your hard earned travel dollars elsewhere. For me, I welcome ALL the extra charges, because I have a choice about whether to use those services or not. (fuel charge excepted) As I've said, even the autocharge is removable if you really don't want to pay it. I just hope that anyone who ever does have it removed has a legitimate reason for doing so. :)

I will also point out that the service charge is not "hidden" as someone else posted.

I didn't suggest that the auto tips were hidden. I simply stated they were an add-on service charge that is not itemized with the cost of the fare at the time of booking, as for example the fuel surcharge is.

What I did say is that I dislike hidden fees, AND after the fact add-on fees. That is to say I dislike the nature of the fees, not their purpose. There is a distinct difference. I cruise, I pay the auto-tips happily, and I feel that most if not all crew members deserve the tips and much more. This has been gone over relentlessly in many threads, many times.

The bottom line is simply noting the existence of the fees in the fine print doesn't exactly make it common knowledge for first time cruisers who aren't expecting it to appear on their bill.

Can anyone give a valid reason for why the tips are not itemized with the fare at the time of booking, just like the fuel surcharge?

Now there are a couple of good reasons from a fellow Canadian! :)

I still think a better job of advertising these fees could be done. They could be included, just like the fuel surcharge, and then if one wanted to remove the service charge because service was not to up to expectations, you could be credited it back during your cruise.

Again I personally think the crew deserves it and I think that freestyle is excellent. But then again, maybe we're easy to please. I've never had a bad cruise... afterall I'm on vacation on the open sea... what more could I ask for?

The recommended amount has been $10 pp/pd for so long that I can't even remember when it was last increased. The $2 increase is long overdue and well deserved by the staff. I don't begrudge them the $12 one iota.

Just finished a book called "Cruise Confidential" The author is the only American to have ever completed an 8 month contact with Carnival. He is educated, witty and ended up, after a year or so, snagging a great job as a cruise Art Auctioneer... anyway- read his description of crew life and the mandatory tipping seems too little!

M

1) The autocharge is not mandatory; you CAN have it removed, which you would not be able to do if it was included in your fare.

2) The fuel surcharge is not set and depends on current world oil prices. I don't know about you, but I don't want to have to pay the fuel surcharge if gas is cheap on my sailing. (looking forward to that OBC in January!)

3) I think you're mistaken about coffee and tea not being included, but even if they weren't, I don't drink coffee or tea and rarely drink soft drinks on board. I don't want to pay for yours or anyone else's if I can otherwise have a reduced fare. NCL is about choices; if you want everything included, I think you'll have a hard time finding a line that does it at a fare that differs from NCL's by only the amount you pay for those items on board.

I see a lot of people on this board who complain about how NCL does things. They don't like the autocharge, they don't like the idea of surcharge restaurants, they think soft drinks should be included in their fare, etc. There's nothing wrong with feeling this way, I just don't know why they would use the product if it's not what they're looking for. There are plenty of cruise lines to choose from; if Freestyle isn't your thing, it just makes sense to me to spend your hard earned travel dollars elsewhere. For me, I welcome ALL the extra charges, because I have a choice about whether to use those services or not. (fuel charge excepted) As I've said, even the autocharge is removable if you really don't want to pay it. I just hope that anyone who ever does have it removed has a legitimate reason for doing so. :)

OMG.. I wish you could have seen me when I read this. As sick as I am and as much pain as I am in passing this kidney stone, I wanted to jump up from my chair and applaud. I could not agree with a posting more.

I have always asked these people that complain about the way NCL does business why they book with NCL. It is not like anyone holds a gun to their head for them to book with NCL. There is freedom of choice.. right?? If you want to change things, don't get on a message board and beat a subject to death, hit the company where it hurts.. in their pocket book by booking with someone else. If enough people agree that NCL sucks in the way they do things, NCL will have to change or go out of business.

I think the crew WELL earns every penny they get from the daily service charge and they well deserve a raise after all these many years. Their expenses have gone up as well and cruising is a luxury.. it's not like you buying groceries. If you can't afford the daily service charge pick another vacation.

As far as the one who said it was costing her an extra $600.00. Are you taking a world cruise? At $2.00 and $7.00 more per adult/child, that is a lot of days to make $600.00 unless you are a huge family.

I completely agree with you. Every time I see someone post that they think autotip leads to a decline in service, I shake my head. I often wonder if they slack off on their own jobs if nobody is offering them a bonus for doing their best. I think we all tend to perceive others based on our own outlooks and motivations.

First, I take exception to your deciding what my outlooks and motivations are. My wife currently works in a service industry, and says Canadians are the worst tippers. Is it all Canadians, no. Is it enough of them to get the reputation, yes. Is it fair to lump them all together, of course not.

I have worked in service industries, and believe I always did my best, but... my experience on cruise ships has been a steady decline in service in the standard dining rooms. I have been cruising for almost 50 years, if you count the cruises paid for by my parents and Uncle Sam (cruise ship), and today's service is not the same as before mandatory service charges. Is it across the board, absolutely not. Is it frequent, yes.

My point is, the service folks are underpaid. They do not have the driving motivation to excel, as they once did, when as EF Hutton said, they earned their tips the old fashioned way.

My other point was to prevent the unknowing (post 27 by Wavesprite) from happening. Don't surprise them, assuming they didn't know of these message boards, when they are on board with a $48 a day charge they didn't know about, or knew there was a charge, but not how much, unless they did a lot of searching.

All I am saying, bottom line is pay the service personel fairly, and we can tip for the above average service accordingly, as we do with butlers, concierge service, and the less frequent dining room waiter.

Al

Now there are a couple of good reasons from a fellow Canadian! :)

I still think a better job of advertising these fees could be done. They could be included, just like the fuel surcharge, and then if one wanted to remove the service charge because service was not to up to expectations, you could be credited it back during your cruise.

Again I personally think the crew deserves it and I think that freestyle is excellent. But then again, maybe we're easy to please. I've never had a bad cruise... afterall I'm on vacation on the open sea... what more could I ask for?

I am so with you on this one!! My first cruise in 1975 was on the Carnival Mardi Gras, which is about the size of one azipod now I think! ha ha ha There was no kid's club, one swimming pool about 10' x 10', one dining room, a movie theatre, and... bingo. ha ha ha Imagine having to make do without all the other food venues, no basketball court, no rock climbing wall, no bowling, no waterslide... it's a good thing I was interested in learning how to do the hustle... oh wait, that wasn't until my second cruise in 1977! ha ha ha I see nothing wrong with being easy to please though... it just means I'm pleased a lot more of the time!! :)

Now, back to the discussion at hand... I think a compromise would be the best approach. I think it's best to leave the charges on board, but I think it's quite obvious that they should be made more clear at the time of booking. I think adding it to the fare with the possibility of asking for a credit or charge back after the fact would just create way too many hassles and potential for more problems. On our next cruise, we've got a nice group of friends and family joining us, and I made a point of explaining the autocharge to them as a part of their potential costs, because I knew that if I didn't they may well end up 'surprised' when they got on board. Of course, if we'd been cruising a line that didn't have the autocharge, I would have been telling them exactly the same thing about being prepared to tip at the end. :)

Just finished a book called "Cruise Confidential" The author is the only American to have ever completed an 8 month contact with Carnival.

I know a few Americans that have done that with Carnival! Maybe you can sue him for false advertisement :D

Back to the topic...

If you really don't want these service charges to show up on your ship account after you book your cruise call NCL to pre-pay them or put a OBC credit on your cabin to cover the cost.

Coffee and Teas are free on NCL and they shouldn't raise the cost of the cruise to include pop because not everyone wants that.

OK, here in the UK, tipping is not as common as it is in the US or Canada. Therefore I really appreciate having a set amount to pay each day and find it much easier than having to decide how much I "should" tip each person (and who) at the end of the cruise.

As NCL is an American-based cruiseline I would expect to have to pay tips, even as a first time cruiser, as that is the standard American way of working within the service industry. Surely Americans (the majority of cruisers) would expect to do the same?

First, I take exception to your deciding what my outlooks and motivations are. l

Really? But it's okay for you to do just that when talking about cruise service personnel?

You say you speak from your cruising experience. I speak from my experience observing people, and I stand by my opinion, as stated. If you choose to take it personally, I can't stop you, but my post was a general reference to ALL posts that suggest the autotip = decline in service relationship. As for cruise experience, I've been cruising myself for 33 years, and have NOT seen a decline in service. I've worked in the service industry myself, also, and I tend to guage the service I receive by the service I know I would be capable of under the same circumstances, and believe me, that's a high standard.

As for Canadians being the 'worst' tippers, I've heard it was Europeans, and I think that the reasoning is similar for both. I think most Canadians don't realize how little servers are paid in the US. Minimum wage in Canada applies to ALL employees, including service personnel, so while US servers rely on their tips to make a living wage, Canadian service personnel do not. As a result, the standard for tipping in Canada is less. I believe we tend to feel that our tips are solely a reflection of the service we received, not an expected supplement to our server's pathetically low wages. I worked with a girl last year who had been a server in Arkansas, and her wage was just over $1 per hour!!!!! It's like working on commission! :eek: My understanding is that in Europe, the situation is even better for service personnel. So, I think it's not so much about being 'bad tippers' in general, but about the disparity in wages and common ideas of what constitutes a 'good tip'.

If your logic held water then the service on most cruise lines would be *horrible* because almost all lines place the suggested amount on your account automatically. In my experience the crew on board offers fantastic service, across the board and over the years. The automatic tipping had done nothing to diminish that.

I Could not agree with you more! I manage a high volume restaurant. We add 20% to tables of 10 or more.

My servers always take EXCEPTIONAL care of a table when this charge is added, as they want no dispute on the service charge.:D

I completely agree with you. Every time I see someone post that they think autotip leads to a decline in service, I shake my head. I often wonder if they slack off on their own jobs if nobody is offering them a bonus for doing their best. I think we all tend to perceive others based on our own outlooks and motivations. Why would you assume someone else thinks that way if you don't yourself? When I have a job to do, I do it to the best of my abilities, regardless of compensation or potential for tips, so I expect the same from others. As a result, I base my opinion about the service on NCL ships on my actual experience - which has been exemplary. I have never received poor service on any NCL ship and in fact, most staff I have encountered have been what I would call excellent or better. I should add that I do believe that there are some employees who do slack off - like a student that does only enough homework to get a 'C' when a little extra effort would earn an 'A'. I just think that the slackers are in the minority and that it's extremely insulting to assume that an entire group of people are fundamentally lazy and mercenary and won't do their best unless there is a possibility of additional compensation.

Someone mentioned that their greatest concern was how much of the autocharge actually makes it to the staff when it goes through the company first. My immediate thought when I read that was, 'Probably More than they would have received if it was left up to the passengers to tip on their own.' I believe the autocharge was implemented due to the vast number of passengers who on traditional cruises will disembark without tipping anyone - and of course when there's a pool, staff who don't usually come into contact with the public can be included as well. I remember one of my first jobs as a 'salad girl' at the Keg restaurant here. They had a tipping pool and it was really nice at the end of the night to get my little cut, because I had worked hard all night as well, and unlike the servers, I interacted with almost every customer.

There was also a mention of the kids' charges and how messy they can be, etc. and I had to laugh because someone said, 'Don't try to tell me how 'neat' your child is...' Well, on one of the cruises my family took when I was a kid, my sister spent a full sea day cleaning and organizing their kid's room. It wasn't a big centre like they have now, just a room with some craft supplies and a few toys, but it was spic and span by the time she left that day!! ha ha ha Of course, while she maybe earned a tip herself that day, I'm sure I made up for it by being a 'normal kid'. :p

My sentiments exactly.

applause.jpg.f0379035a4f4ce76228178b65387b6cc.jpg

As for Canadians being the 'worst' tippers, I've heard it was Europeans, and I think that the reasoning is similar for both. I think most Canadians don't realize how little servers are paid in the US. Minimum wage in Canada applies to ALL employees, including service personnel, so while US servers rely on their tips to make a living wage, Canadian service personnel do not. As a result, the standard for tipping in Canada is less. I believe we tend to feel that our tips are solely a reflection of the service we received, not an expected supplement to our server's pathetically low wages. I worked with a girl last year who had been a server in Arkansas, and her wage was just over $1 per hour!!!!! It's like working on commission! :eek: My understanding is that in Europe, the situation is even better for service personnel. So, I think it's not so much about being 'bad tippers' in general, but about the disparity in wages and common ideas of what constitutes a 'good tip'.

You know, I think you just said what I feel. All US and cruise ship service folks are underpaid. They deserve a fair wage from their employer, and my reasoning for including the service charge in the fare, is to solve, or at least help solve that injustice. Yours and my perception of the service we are receiving today, versus years ago, are subjective, and not worth arguing over, just as our perception of food on board are subjective. I meant that these charges be included in the fare, to give them a fair wage, not a gratuity, which I feel should be above and beyond that wage. These charges should not be (IMHO), subject to reduction by the guest, because, they should be salary, not a service charge.

I applaud Europeans and Canadians for paying a just salary, so that a tip becomes an unexpected reward, rather than deserved salary. Will I quit cruising because I disagree with the method of compensation. No. Will I even consider removing this charge, absolutely not, it would penalize those that earned it as, again IMHO, salary. Will I tip those who earn it, always. Do I tip more than the average...far more, if I can go by the posts on CC. For those defending the increase, I couldn't agree more. I just wish it was in the fare, and paid as salary.

Al

You know, I think you just said what I feel. All US and cruise ship service folks are underpaid. They deserve a fair wage from their employer, and my reasoning for including the service charge in the fare, is to solve, or at least help solve that injustice. Yours and my perception of the service we are receiving today, versus years ago, are subjective, and not worth arguing over, just as our perception of food on board are subjective. I meant that these charges be included in the fare, to give them a fair wage, not a gratuity, which I feel should be above and beyond that wage. These charges should not be (IMHO), subject to reduction by the guest, because, they should be salary, not a service charge.

I applaud Europeans and Canadians for paying a just salary, so that a tip becomes an unexpected reward, rather than deserved salary. Will I quit cruising because I disagree with the method of compensation. No. Will I even consider removing this charge, absolutely not, it would penalize those that earned it as, again IMHO, salary. Will I tip those who earn it, always. Do I tip more than the average...far more, if I can go by the posts on CC. For those defending the increase, I couldn't agree more. I just wish it was in the fare, and paid as salary.

Al

I definitely think we've reached some common ground on this one! :)

Because of the nature of Freestyle dining, service charges are a necessity. How on earth would anyone figure out who gets what and where to find them.

Having cruised on a line with traditional dining and little envelopes for tipping, I knew who the recipients would be. I don't believe that I have ever given the suggested amount but chose to give closer to the amount that would indicate the amazing service I received.

At the same time that I and some people I know have given "very nice" tips, I have seen how many people are missing from the dining room on the last night of a 30 day cruise. These are often the pax who are the most demanding. On one cruise they closed the buffet and there was no room service on the last evening. The sheepish looks on some people's faces when they entered the dining room and had nothing for the wait staff were sad.

Now I will be sailing on NCL and am concerned about how I will show individual servers my extra gratitude.

Fran

Now I will be sailing on NCL and am concerned about how I will show individual servers my extra gratitude.

Fran

No need to be concerned at all. If you feel the service warrants it, just leave them an extra cash tip on top of the automatic gratuity that will be billed to your onboard account. Or, if you're in a specialty restaurant where you will be given a charge slip to sign, you can add an additional tip on the charge slip. No muss, no fuss.

Archived