Daily "service charges" going up... wayyyy up

CruisinEurope

this is why i have a problem with auto tip, we really do not know what % the crew is getting, on my next cruise i am having my tipping charges removed and i will pay accordingly throughout my cruise, if i hand them the cash i know they are getting it,

the lines are overcharging as it is 12.00 doesnt sound bad but who travels alone? Its always at least 24.00 per state room they are getting so for what? I will give the housekeeper 5.00 per day, i go to the buffet, what else do i need to tip for?so thats 19.00 in tips per day im pay for with no service......no thanks

also not true. if you remove the auto tip, the crew you tip in cash must turn in every cent(they send a list around of who removed the service charge). If you leave the auto tip/service charge on they can keep what ever extra you give them. While its true some won't turn it in most will because of both peer pressure and bad marks when tips are removed(they are held accountable when the tips are removed) in fact some turn in money anyway to prove they have given good service whether they get the cash or not- this is mostly true of the room stewards where they know who has removed the tips.

....really

Your family of five was *always* late to your assigned dining time and you seriously wonder why your server had an attitude?!? Really?

See, this is exactly why auto tipping is necessary- because of people like you who think making peoples' jobs harder should be rewarded with a smile and good cheer.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm in the mortgage business and 6 years prior to that was in the restaurant business. My personal opinion is that the way I make my clients feel is as important as the service I provide. They are there for an experience. If you didn't want an experience you'd eat at home or takeout or do your mortgage on the internet. Therefore creating a memorable experience for your guest is in my opinion very important.

so this is another way for the cruise lines to scam their money, taking the tips we give to the attendants should be illegal, i gave it to them, they have no right taking it back, its a way for ncl to say u better not take of the surcharge or we are going to screw ya

pretty funny. since these ships are foreign flagged who would pass the law. These are the rules that the crew sign up for not a scam at all....

so this is another way for the cruise lines to scam their money, taking the tips we give to the attendants should be illegal, i gave it to them, they have no right taking it back, its a way for ncl to say u better not take of the surcharge or we are going to screw ya

They don't take it and keep it for heavens sake. By removing the auto gratuity and tipping those that YOU feel deserve it, you are screwing over other staff. Those that you don't see or interact with. So, whoever you tip must turn in whatever you give them so it can be added to the tip pool to be divided amongst everyone.

So bottom line is that even if you think you are nicely rewarding someone who you felt gave you great service, you are screwing them over as well as they are only getting a percentage of it.

Bottom line here is that the industry wouldn't have to have gone to auto tipping if the general public didn't royally scew over service workers. I used to work in the food industry and it's disgusting to see a table of 8 take up a servers time for 2 hours, demanding perfect service and then throw a $5 bill on the table when they leave. And it happens ALL the time. If you don't like auto tip, don't blame it on the cruise line who had to do something to help their service workers make some decent tips. Blame it on cheap fellow passengers who gladly spend $100 a day on drinks, yet stiff the room stewards, or dont' come to dinner the last night in the dining room (traditional dining) so they can avoid tipping their waiters also.

CG

just because they signed up for it doesnt mean they arent getting screwed, have you read these boards lately? On most of the reviews the service is going downhill, dont you think that could be because the workers are not happy with how the cruiseline is treating them, open your eyes to reality!

I pay no attention to reviews. Most people who are happy don't bother to write one. Those that are unhappy can't wait to spread the 'word".

I depend on my own experiences and those experiences have been wonderful. Fantastic service each time I have sailed NCL. And for that wonderful service, I'll gladly pay my $12 per day....it's a bargain.

CG

just because they signed up for it doesnt mean they arent getting screwed, have you read these boards lately? On most of the reviews the service is going downhill, dont you think that could be because the workers are not happy with how the cruiseline is treating them, open your eyes to reality!

have you ever talked to the crew. They love this system because they don't get screwed by the cheapos of the world. You are also unaware that this system stops the crew from having to tip out of their tips others you don't see- like the laundry or cleaning supply people or the servers tipping the maitre d- who assigns them their tables. Its is actually a much better system for the crew and so far except for some complainers who are always complaining they do much better and are generally much happier and a happy crew makes the guests mostly happier too but you can continue with you opinon as small and as narrow as it is...

I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm in the mortgage business and 6 years prior to that was in the restaurant business. My personal opinion is that the way I make my clients feel is as important as the service I provide. They are there for an experience. If you didn't want an experience you'd eat at home or takeout or do your mortgage on the internet. Therefore creating a memorable experience for your guest is in my opinion very important.

Let's review your description of events, shall we? The first two nights of your cruise your family was treated with great kindness by your dining room server, then *suddenly* he became impatient with your group. When you showed up late the third night in a row he was responding to *your* bad bahavior. As you report he treated you with the importance guests deserve- UNTIL it became obvious you disrespected him and his time.

It sounds obvious to me that he was more than willing (as most crew are) to create a memorable experience for you. Then you dropped the ball and complain about the outcome.

So sad. But thanks for the honesty. It's refreshing.

Let's review your description of events, shall we? The first two nights of your cruise your family was treated with great kindness by your dining room server, then *suddenly* he became impatient with your group. When you showed up late the third night in a row he was responding to *your* bad bahavior. As you report he treated you with the importance guests deserve- UNTIL it became obvious you disrespected him and his time.

It sounds obvious to me that he was more than willing (as most crew are) to create a memorable experience for you. Then you dropped the ball and complain about the outcome.

So sad. But thanks for the honesty. It's refreshing.

I am SO with you on this one. I just cannot believe how inconsiderate some people are. They go on a cruise ship and expected to be treated like they are the king or queen. Common courtesy and respect is REQUIRED folks. The people who serve you are NOT really your servants. They are simply trying to make your experience the best that they can.

If the one poster who showed up late every night was at an early seating, you can bet that they were really screwing over their server(s). Those poor people are on a really tight schedule to serve the first group, get them out, and prepare for the 2nd seating. A large group showing up late every night probably wanted to make him pull his hair out. Do they realize how miserable they made that trip for that poor server? I doubt it. And furthermore, I doubt if they care.

CG

The main UK market cruise lines all include basic tips in the fare and have no special problems with service.

Thomson, Island, Ocean Village and Sun cruises when it existed.

(Allthough this will just be Thomson soon)

One of the problems in the US is the greedy TA's would want a cut if it was included in the fare and I am sure uncle sam woud want a cut also.

Just a couple of points

First of all the service fee is at your discretion. Says so right in your contract. So there shouldn't be any problem there. Though I regularly tip more than the service fee, if you're not happy then just don't pay it. What's the problem.

About the room stewards, I see them from 8 in the morning at least, until sometime at night. That, to me, seems like a 12 hour day. They work 7 days a week for 9 months. If I ever worked those hours I would expect $100,000. But they make no where near that. They earn much more than they get paid. I suspect we're getting as little spoiled in the good ole USA. Reflected in the all American crews on the Hawaiian ships.

LOTS of restaurants in America have tip pools where all the tips go into a community pot and are shared among the various workers. It's a common practice so that behind the scenes kitchen help/prep/greeters/etc. receive their "share" of gratuities.

Thomas

past several cruises i have asked my waitstaff if they prefer the old envelope tipping or to have auto tipping.. everyone of them said they prefer the auto tipping.. that the money goes directly into their account.. I also asked if the cruise lines charge for the service of handling their tips and placing into their accounts.. the answer to that qu estion was a resounding NO.. that they are assured they get 100 percent of their tips..and I also questioned what happens to the cash they receive from pax who feel they received service above and beyond expectations.. I was told they are entitled to keep it.. again, these cruiselines were not NCL.they were.. RCL and Carnival and Cunard... all had the same responses...

personally with the anytime dining and varied restaurants now in place on the newer ships that auto tipping is the best and fairest way to handle the tipping situation.. I think the waitstaff and stewards realize they can make a little extra by going the extra mile..

Part of the reason we like cruising is that it is nice to have other people wait on you. That being said, why do the cruise lines separate the charges? Why not combine the $12 per day into the base cruise fare? I don't mind paying for good service. Then, if I receive particularly good service, I have the option of recognizing that person for that good service.

This is not a complaint but I have never understood why they split the service charge out from the base fare.

Often when someone comes new to the boards I like to follow their posts to try to get a feel for just where they're coming from. When someone posts about how spa charges should be included with no additional charge (since the customer paid for a cruise and spa should be part of the total cruise experience), smuggle booze on board (to save money), and how they will remove their tips - (with the caveat that they'll tip well anyhow, but in cash)----

Well, lets just say that when about every post is a concern over $ I really have to wonder if they will tip at all :eek:

Yes, when I book cruises I try to look at the total bottom line price wise (including tips/surcharges---everything) and when I don't like that price, I'll quit cruising and do more camping. BTW-some folks like to use 'well why don't you go camping instead?' as an insult---not me! I love it-not as much as cruising-but I still love it!

You know Philip 217 posted back several months ago that people were claiming poverty to get out of paying the service charge. I did not believe him, but after reading this thread and the other thread that was locked I do believe perhaps he was not fibbing after all.

I do not understand the complaints. After all my grocery bill has risen about $30 a week in the last year and there is only 3 in my household.

The suggested tip amount on other lines ( I mention them because I recently took my first NCL cruise) back in 1998 was $3.50 steward, $3.50 waiter, and a $1.75 assitant waiter/busboy, it was upped to $4 for steward and waiter and $2 for assistant waiter a few years back-but still the charge has risen only from $8.75 a day to $12 a day in TEN YEARS-that is very little.

Heck, My groceries from 10 years ago ran us around $90 a week, we are now paying $170 a week. I would be THRILLED if our grocery cost had risen such a small percentage in 10 years.

Starting January 1, on NCL ships, everyone - large, small, young (3 and older), old, will be charged a service fee of $12 per person per day. This will be added on to your on-board account, payable on the last day of your cruise (or put on your credit card.)

I have a 2 year old. So does that mean there is no service charge for her or is it $5 a day?

Often when someone comes new to the boards I like to follow their posts to try to get a feel for just where they're coming from. When someone posts about how spa charges should be included with no additional charge (since the customer paid for a cruise and spa should be part of the total cruise experience), smuggle booze on board (to save money), and how they will remove their tips - (with the caveat that they'll tip well anyhow, but in cash)----

Well, lets just say that when about every post is a concern over $ I really have to wonder if they will tip at all :eek:

Yes, when I book cruises I try to look at the total bottom line price wise (including tips/surcharges---everything) and when I don't like that price, I'll quit cruising and do more camping. BTW-some folks like to use 'well why don't you go camping instead?' as an insult---not me! I love it-not as much as cruising-but I still love it!

I know I will be flamed for this-but this is what comes from the initial cruise cost being so cheap. Many see that and think they can afford a cruise when they really can't. Perhaps the lines should become all inclusive and charge a higher price-then those who can't really afford to cruise would know that they can't.

yes grey but the point is that if ncl uses a scare tactic to their employess that if there cabin customers ask for the SC to be taken off then they make them turn in their cash tips which is bs

? where does this come from. the rule is they have to turn in cash tips if the person removes the auto tip....how is this a scare tactic? As I said you just make things up. If the auto tip is left on they can keep it. Its very simple. Its so they don't have to tip out of this cash to other individuals as Host Star said on another thread the employees prefer it.

a scare tactic to make them bust their buts for minimal pay

but isn't that what you want them to do? Sounds like walmart or any restaurant to me. So you want to personally hand them the money instead of auto tip---those deserving few....who kissed your butt correctly....

Anyone should do a little research on their own before any trip - cruising or otherwise. I think most households in US have internet, (we all do). The NCL agent or TA can't go over everything in one phone call.

Before I go on a trip, cruise, to an AI, take a plane trip, or book a hotel I go to the website and do a quick browse. Eliminates most surprises.

Next I do a budget. I include all fixed costs and all variable costs. And look at my funds, income, etc.

Then I book the trip.

Like others, I have to ask/say: "If ya don't like NCL's policies you have other choices". But too many people get on here and bash NCL for the policies they have in place. When you accept the cruise and the price, it is a contract. Unrealistic expectations can make for an unhappy vacation. That's not to say sometimes things go wrong and in that case, NCL should have a chance to make good, within reason.

Just my $.03 cents (inflation).

"I'm willing to accept your opinion, try accepting other people's too." - You can pay as much as you want, I should be able to reward service as much as I want.

Interesting that you responded to something i was meaning for "iparty". You have posted sparingly about this, iparty (who may or may not be the same person as you) has been calling others rude, etc, but he will not accept that people have different opinions.

"wonder if they will tip at all" - Your strawman argument is baseless. We tip, just maybe not to your liking.

Well, since you're gonna quote me---not a 'strawman' argument at all! I really do wonder when someone makes the majority of their posts about how to dodge charges on board (drinks/tips etc) if they will tip at all.

In some cases they may tip, in others maybe they don't

Auto-tip is bad policy. TIPS are about relationships. It about rewarding good service. NCL does leave the option to adjust the auto-tip. If they don't make it a pleasant experience, then the customer service is at fault and that will be an additional reason why the auto-tip will be decreased.

Why is it that people think when people tip less for less service rendered or if they value the service less then they are screwing people out of money?

They are still getting compensated, just less or maybe even MORE based on service.

yes grey but the point is that if ncl uses a scare tactic to their employess that if there cabin customers ask for the SC to be taken off then they make them turn in their cash tips which is bs

We all have our opinions. I don't see it as a scare tactic, but rather as a condition of employment. In my opinion it protects those behind the scenes.

Shoot if we're going to get all crazed about the $12/day service charge, let's not forget to include the mandatory 15% on bar drinks, or the 18% on spa treatments.

It is what it is. I actually like the design because it saves me having to deal with tips/service fee issues.

Thomas

Perhaps since evil NCL is now using color coded room cards to distinguish suite pax, they could issue a color coded card to people who don't wish to participate in the onboard SC. That way the "help" would know the appropriate level of service to provide.

Archived