Would the dining room let me do this?

stbmom

I think someone suggested this, but I can't recall. Would the matre D allow me to see the menu ahead of time and put in our order? We plan on eating dinner in the dining room, but asking the kids to sit through placing orders, waiting for each course, etc. - that isn't going to happen. I am pretty sure we will be at our own table (us, plus the inlaws will be a total of 8). Even if we are at a larger table, I am sure our dinner guests would rather us be able to eat a little faster and leave with happy happy kiddos rather than the alternative.

We want to eat in the dining room. The kids do fine, but even I can get antsy if the service is slow.

I would like to see the menu and tell them what we want and have them bring everything except the dessert out together. If the kids stay happy, they can have dessert. If not - they can go to bed (and I will get ice cream:D)

I am thinking of creating a little chart I can turn in to Matre D with our orders on it for each of us after lunch.

I would like to see the menu and tell them what we want and have them bring everything except the dessert out together. If the kids stay happy, they can have dessert. If not - they can go to bed (and I will get ice cream:D)

I am thinking of creating a little chart I can turn in to Matre D with our orders on it for each of us after lunch.

The table isnt large enough to bring everything out at once, plus it would really throw off the schedule of the waiter. He will have other tables to care for.

The menu is posted outside the dining room for all 3 meals. Also you can see it on the tv. I dont think they will allow the food to be rushed out. It is called dining for a reason ( not fast food) Put the kids in camp carnival for dinner and enjoy a nice quiet leasure meal. When our neice came with us she didnt want to eat in the dining room she loved eating at camp.

I think someone suggested this, but I can't recall. Would the matre D allow me to see the menu ahead of time and put in our order? We plan on eating dinner in the dining room, but asking the kids to sit through placing orders, waiting for each course, etc. - that isn't going to happen. I am pretty sure we will be at our own table (us, plus the inlaws will be a total of 8). Even if we are at a larger table, I am sure our dinner guests would rather us be able to eat a little faster and leave with happy happy kiddos rather than the alternative.

We want to eat in the dining room. The kids do fine, but even I can get antsy if the service is slow.

the menu is posted outside the dinning room every day...so you can go early and look...also some ships used to have it available to view on the tv..(do they still do this?)

I do not think you can order before entering the dinning room.

But good waiters will help your kids and keep thewm occupied and fed.

:D

The menu is posted outside the dining room for all 3 meals. Also you can see it on the tv. I dont think they will allow the food to be rushed out. It is called dining for a reason ( not fast food) Put the kids in camp carnival for dinner and enjoy a nice quiet leasure meal. When our neice came with us she didnt want to eat in the dining room she loved eating at camp.

LOL...that answers my question

:p

Two of my kids are too young for camp carnival, so that is not an option. We are also not going to do the buffet every day - not what we signed up for.

I will find a compromise. Maybe have my hubby go put in the order and I bring the kids in when the first course comes out (we have two way radios).

Two of my kids are too young for camp carnival, so that is not an option. We are also not going to do the buffet every day - not what we signed up for.

I will find a compromise. Maybe have my hubby go put in the order and I bring the kids in when the first course comes out (we have two way radios).

do you think kids that yound would want something from the menue?

Have the waiters bring them hot dogs and chicken nugget.

If they are ordering from the kids' menu, they will take their order right away and bring that food out early. Also, if they finish everything and you are still eating, they will bring out another plate of food from the kids' menu. My 9yo niece ordered from the kids menu, because she is a finicky eater. We actually had to stop them from bringing her food out early.

Don't worry - the wait staff is generally excellent with children at the table.

do you think kids that yound would want something from the menue?

Have the waiters bring them hot dogs and chicken nugget.

Unfortunately for us - my kids all have mature pallates. Won't look twice at a hamburger - but a steak, now they are in heaven!

Hot dogs - never. Salmon - they are your best friend.

Weird kids:p

If they are ordering from the kids' menu, they will take their order right away and bring that food out early. Also, if they finish everything and you are still eating, they will bring out another plate of food from the kids' menu. My 9yo niece ordered from the kids menu, because she is a finicky eater. We actually had to stop them from bringing her food out early.

Don't worry - the wait staff is generally excellent with children at the table.

With DS3, once he was done, they'd go ahead and bring out his chocolate ice cream. He savored that like it was his last scoop ever, which helped him last through the meal. Then there was the dining room entertainment.

There's not really a lot of "waiting" that goes on, either. As long as your kids know what they want when they walk in (and you can mention to your waiter that they'll be a little bratty if they have to wait too long, wink, wink, wink), I'd think you'd be fine.

God knows the next course is almost always on the table within a minute or so of finishing the last one. The only wait is between ordering and apps, from what I've experienced (and sometimes pre-dessert). And there's always bread. And puzzles or books or silenced Nintendo DS's. :) That's how we always managed my much-younger little sis.

Unfortunately for us - my kids all have mature pallates. Won't look twice at a hamburger - but a steak, now they are in heaven!

If you have kids too young for camp, and camp starts at 2, how in the world are they eating a steak? :confused:

My kids are the same way. They'll try stuff that I would never consider eating. They haven't ordered from a kids' menu in years. Which is fine, except that "adult" food is much more expensive.

Look at it this way - on a cruise, you don't have to pay more for them to get the food they want.

I've never tried this, but you might speak to your waiter on the first night and see if they would let you write everything down for them and give it to them as soon as you get to the table. They might be able to go ahead and at least get appetizers out for everyone.

Even if you can't do that, I do think that seeing the menu before you get there is a big time saver. If everyone in you party knows what they want, the ordering will be much faster. We've been able to see the menu on television on the last two cruises - on the Valor and the Legend. I don't know if that option is available fleet-wide or not.

I don't believe that they will do that, as they too many other tables and they have a particular schedule that they go by. You can see the menu outside of the dining room for every meal. I would suggest that you put the kids in camp carnival & that way you could enjoy your meal a lot more without having to deal with the kids. Besides the fact, that most kids won't like the items on the menu anyway.

If you have kids too young for camp, and camp starts at 2, how in the world are they eating a steak? :confused:

Haha. You beat me to the question.

I was wondering how a 1 year old can scarf down a steak lol.

Two years old is too young to take to camp Carnival? :confused:

Perhaps the OP could drop the kids at CC on alternate nights and let them eat there so the adults can enjoy dinner at their leisure. I can't imagine rushing through dinner every night in a formal dining room would be pleasant for anyone. Sounds like a good compromise to me.

Maybe your husband can go ahead and order from the waiter, if you also get too antsy waiting.... and you come a little later with the children (hopefully you and the children show up by the time the food arrives).

No, I dont think you can place your order ahead of time with the maitre d'

From my experience in the dining room our waiter took our whole order at one time. If you able to that there should not be a problem of having to wait too long. Just tell your waiter to bring the kids food out first or you could bring some crackers or such with you to tide them over. It really does not take long for your food to be served. Now for Elegant night it might be a little differant. It might take a little more time since more people tend to order more food (lobster) than usual.:)

With DS3, once he was done, they'd go ahead and bring out his chocolate ice cream. He savored that like it was his last scoop ever, which helped him last through the meal. Then there was the dining room entertainment.

He was great during dinner.....it was fun to watch him interact with the great waiters who had as much fun with him as he had with them.

If I am not mistaken don't they close the doors after a certain amount of time has passed? If someone knows for sure let us know.

Archived