Has anyone had dinner at El Gaucho?

lovinsea

Hi, will be in Aruba Dec.6th on the Brillance of the Seas, ship departs

Aruba late, and we would love to try El Gaucho, don't know of anyone

who has been there. Anyone had dinner there? and how was it?

How far from the cruise pier, and were you able to get a taxi back?

I E-mailed them a request for reservations, however I may not be able to

get them, they want 2 months notice, and we just deceided. Any advice

would be appreciated. Thanks

Ann

They wanted 2 months notice??? Are you sure. We were just in Aruba last week(land vacation). We made a reservation that morning for an 8:30 PM reservation.

This is an Argentina steak house. If you like steak, ribs, ect than yes this is the place for you. The offer a sampler of all different kinds of meats that is really good.

The resturant is well known and always gets high reviews. All the resturants in Aruba accept and encourage casual dress, however this resturant a lot of the ladies dress up a bit more.....

The resturant is downtown but you will need a taxi. It is hard to find, although not far from the pier at all.

Did I answer your question?

Appreciate the info.....Their website did state to make reservations 2

months in advance. We did get a confirmation today for the time we wanted.

They state to confirm this the day we arrive in Aruba. One other thing,

how was the food? and were cabs readily availabe to take you back to the

ship? Would hate to have the ship leave without us:(

Thanks again.

Ann

The food was VERY good!!. I know this sounds strange but try the pumpkin soup. It is fantastic and thier signature dish.

In Aruba, all the resturants require you to confirm your reservation by phone once you arrive, or they will not hold your reservation. Also common in all the resturants, the watier/waitress asks if you need a cab and will make arrangements for you....is not a problem at all. Enjoy you evening, you are in for a great treat.

We ate at El Gouchos two years ago when we spent a week at the Wyndham

and it was one of the best meals I've ever had. I had the butterflied Filet and can still almost taste it.;)

We had to make reservations two days in advance. I'm not sure about now.

If their standards are consistant, you will enjoy this place immensely.

Rick

We went there last year. We tried to make a reservation the same day, and could not get through to them on the phone. So we just went over and tried our luck.

We got to the restaurant, and explained that we had no reservation. The woman said it could be as long as a 45 minute wait. Well, that's typical for busy Houston restaurants that don't take reservations, and we were in no hurry, so we said OK. We were asked to wait in the bar across the street, where I had the best chocolate martini in the world. I don't think it was 25 minutes before we were told that our table was waiting.

The food was good, the service was good, the wandering minstrels were fun.

TAKE A CAB! Do not trying walking from the pier. It's not that far, but there isn't much on the streets between the pier and that restaurant, and when you don't know the area, it's best to leave it to someone who does. And we had no trouble getting a cab to take us back; the restaurant called someone, and it was less than 10 minutes before they showed up.

If our ship was leaving at 8 or 9, I would not have been as laid back about waiting, but our ship wasn't leaving until 1 or 2 am, so we took our time.

Does this restaurant serve a "Rodisio" (I know I spelled it wrong!!) Its where all the meats are cooked on spits over an open fire and they just stop by your table with selections. You can try a little of everthing. We went to a restaurant that does this, in Las Vegas and it was wonderful.

Also, what are there prices like?

I am not sure that this resturant does this.... However in the high rise section of Aruba, across from the Holiday Inn, there is a Brazilian resturant that does do this...(I have heard great reveiws ) It has both inside and outside dining.... If you have an interest I can find out the exact name for you... Have quite a few friends that visit Aruba yearly..

Just let me know, and I will Email them to get you the details.

Janet

Thanks Janet. Sounds so good. This is from their website:

"Start of with a forty item salad bar including appetizers, soup and side items. Sample of our 14 cuts of meat, including sizzling beef, lamb, pork, chicken and sausage, until you beg for mercy. Accompaniments: our house baked cheese bread, garlic mashed potatoes, horseradish cream and our famous Brazilian herb sauce."

I wanna go now!!! Here is their website for anyone else who is interested http://www.arubadining.com/texasdebrazil/

Not bad on the price. It says $33.50 plus 15% tip.

Janet, If you want to, you can squeeze into our luggage. But be forwarned its going to be real crowded in their with everyone else!!!

Heidi

• 4 weeks later...

lsimon...

I'll let you know if it's changed in 2 weeks.

Just made a ressie for 12/27.. can't wait

we DID go to Texas de Brazil.. and though good for quantity the quality didn't hold true... being on Atkins I'll take the quality of ElGaucho.

Janet, we're in the next town over.. will have room in suitcase going but not coming back lol

Carolyn

• 1 month later...

Carolyn....Did you go to El Gaucho? If so, how was it? (I remember reading on another forum that you guys were sick part of the time so didn't know if you made to El Gaucho or not.) How long did dinner take? What time was your reservation? Anything that is a "must have"?

DH and I are heading to Aruba next week :) - we will be staying one night and then boarding the Destiny for our cruise. I have been waiting to hear if you made it to El Gaucho's..it sounds like a nice place with great food - still true? (garlic dipping sauce?? mmmmm!) I have also seen Texas De Brazil..DH really wants to try that also..lol. Sounds like a LOT of food..

I am thinking of dining at El Gaucho's on the evening of our arrival but wanted to check here first.

• 1 month later...

You can find some good information about Aruba on the following websites. You can also find restaurant reveiws on these sites.

http://www.aruba-bb.com/

http://bb.visitaruba.com/

My DW and I have had dinner at El Gaucho GREAT steaks. We are going again when we visit in June.

Another steakhouse we had a good dinner at a fair price was the French Steakhouse at the Manchebo resort. We had a five course dinner for about $30pp and it included a bottle of wine. Here is the link

http://www.aruba-manchebo.com/steakhouse/#specials

I see the price has increased to about $35 pp

We'll be there the week of 3/18--looking forward an excursion by boat, some afternoon shopping & dinner at El Gaucho--will certainly post a mini-review. What is the usual dress for El Gaucho--am planning on a colorful skirt & top & husb--nice dockers with a dressy knit shirt Is that OK? Husb also likes the idea of the cigar bar across the street--El Garufo anyone tried that?

Archived