Another Emerald Princess 11/20-11/30 review

brianroberts2526

I believe I heard that there were 300 children on this Thanksgiving cruise. So about 10%. There were definitely 2 in the room next to us, 4 if you count the parents.

Great line.......sorry to say your right!

Great line.......sorry to say your right!

We never did complain, we banged on the wall once for them to shut up. I guess we are tolerable because our neighborhood has gone to hell and we are used to bad neighbors. But, part of the reason we spend so much on a nice cruise is to get away form that, so maybe I should have complained. In hindsight, I should have complained on day 1; maybe got a different room. Because, for whatever reason, they put us (2 people) in a room that can fit 4 people. We both either walked into or stood up into those pullman beds about a dozen times each.

Ive actually liked the coffee on other lines, this stuff was closer to water than coffee.

You got the early coffee,it gets much thicker in flavor as it dissolves a large chunk or coffee paste lol,mmmmmm delicious:):p

You got the early coffee,it gets much thicker in flavor as it dissolves a large chunk or coffee paste lol,mmmmmm delicious:):p

Wow, you are completely right. The times when we got the stuff that was practically water-ish was in the morning for room service; by dinner time is was a little more tolerable.

I guess we could have gotten a coffee card; since we are both such big coffee drinkers. But, do you use it at dinner. Seems to me, that after you pay all that money for a cruise you could just say "give me the good stuff PLEASE, I know you got it back there."

And we like to have a quick cup in the morning a few minutes before we work out; and did not want to go up to the buffet or down to the cafe in the coffee card case; I assume with the card you can't get the good stuff delivered.

Hi,

Thanks for your review, its informative.

My wife and I were on this cruise, it was our 11th on Princess and second Thanksgiving cruise on Emerald.

I would say that the crowd in general was a bit younger than we normally see on the 10 day Princess itineraries. There were a lot of younger couples, ie under 50 or so. I am 50 and my wife is 42.

We like Princess for one primary reason, the anytime dining feature. I like RCCL better, but I do not want to go to dinner at the same time every night and sit with the same people. So when Princess started anytime dining about 6-7 years ago, we started sailing that line exclusively.

I agree about the complainers, there are always plenty around and it may be related to age factor. We were in a balcony cabin next to an older couple and they were Elite passengers meaning having sailed 15+ cruises on Princess. The man would sit on his balcony and complain to the wife about everything from the food to the entertainment. I kept thinking why are you still sailing Princess, but they keep on coming.

Hope we see you on Princess again sometime.

My mom and I have an Emerald cruise booked for next year when I'll be 22. So do you think the odds of me finding a chick under 25 to hang out with is pretty slim? :rolleyes:

I would think the odds of you finding a young woman of any age to hang out with remain pretty slim as long as you continue to refer to them as "chicks."

Technicality. :rolleyes:

I was talking to him guy to guy, you know like Greg Brady did with his friends. I wouldn't call the GIRLS "chicks".

I don't think a woman of 22 is a "girl" either, or are you talking to another "boy" on this thread. :p Oh yeah Greg Brady was in the 1970, welcome to 2008

What is this, "exact words" day?

My mom and HER friends call each other GIRLS.

don't mean to slam you but hopefully provide an ensight to the titles we give people.... even if your Mom feels it is okay to call each other girl or for a man to call them girl, it is not a socially correct term... heck I know women that call each other the B word but that is not acceptable either.

tell me truthfully how would you feel if an older man said to you "hey boy" or a woman?

I teach a 40 hour human rights course and often people who use these terms just are not aware of how it may make people feel.

Trust me if you call any woman by the term woman you will earn some respect.... and you sound like a decent man.

Note: today is National End Violence Against Women Day - Dec 6, 08

Okay back to regular scheduled cruise topic...

don't mean to slam you but hopefully provide an ensight to the titles we give people.... even if your Mom feels it is okay to call each other girl or for a man to call them girl, it is not a socially correct term... heck I know women that call each other the B word but that is not acceptable either.

tell me truthfully how would you feel if an older man said to you "hey boy" or a woman?

I teach a 40 hour human rights course and often people who use these terms just are not aware of how it may make people feel.

Trust me if you call any woman by the term woman you will earn some respect.... and you sound like a decent man.

Winston Churchill replied to a woman who stated that if she was his wife she would put arsenic in his coffee that if she was his wife "I'd drink it"

Maybe you should not be teaching a human rights course because maybe you do not understand how you make people feel nit picking their words.

This was just a young guy trying to meet young girls. This has been going on for thousands of years before you and will go on for thousands of years after you are no longer here. Based on comments from sisters and nieces the young chicks will be extremely happy that some young guy met them.

Most women I have met refer to other women as girls.

Are you even remotely qualified to teach a human rights course? If you are why are you micro analyzing minor comments? Is a minor comment now equivalent to some sort of human rights torture? Have you ever heard of the concept of free speech?

Okay, since I was the one who initially called out Name of the Game for his comment, let me step in here. Vickie is absolutely correct, and you who are attacking her are wrong. It doesn't matter what women may call one another, that isn't the point. The point is that the poster whom I and Vickie corrected used the word "chicks": that is not an acceptable way to refer to a woman -- it's demaning and objectifying. Just as it's disrespectful to call a grown woman a girl -- regardless of whether she and her friends use this terminology amongst themselves. Why isn't this obvious? Have we all regressed to the Neanderthal era? Or is the popularity of Mad Men causing regression to the gender stereotypes of the 1950s?

I don't know, chiming in on this new topic ;) may be a disaster. I for one, being married, treat my wife like royalty. Just the way I am brought up. But, I can understand, a single guy using words that some might think offensive.

Now, sure, I understand the 'who cares if girls call each other that' argument; to an extent. But, I may be wrong; but being 25 makes me a little closer to the core of the discussion than most who have commented so far (correct me if I am wrong).

The way a 20-25 year old single woman goes about in today's world, as a majority, does not act (in public mind you) like anything beyond a female who is just looking for a good time; and since the original comment was made by a guy of the similar goal; I think his wording was adequate.

We were on a 10 day Caribbean cruise two years ago in December - the 10th to the 20th. We noticed that not only was the demographic a lot older, but they were also quite rude and complained about EVERYTHING. I'm not sure if a lot of the older folks from Florida are the ones boarding from Ft. Lauderdale...but really, does it hurt to say "please" and "thank-you" to someone who serves you or does something for you? I know that you paid for the cruise, but that doesn't mean it is your right to treat people like dirt!

I know we're younger (I'm 26 and my fiance is 29) - I didn't mind being one of the only younger couples on the cruise since we're not really there to meet people, but to just enjoy each other's company for the most part... but the majority of passengers were so rude and it made me wonder why they even go on cruises if they hate it so much!

lol...there's my rant! I love going on cruises and when we can afford to do another one, I am so fortunate that I'm able to travel and savor every moment! :)

Winston Churchill replied to a woman who stated that if she was his wife she would put arsenic in his coffee that if she was his wife "I'd drink it"

Maybe you should not be teaching a human rights course because maybe you do not understand how you make people feel nit picking their words.

This was just a young guy trying to meet young girls. This has been going on for thousands of years before you and will go on for thousands of years after you are no longer here. Based on comments from sisters and nieces the young chicks will be extremely happy that some young guy met them.

spoken like a true man who likes to supress women

sad but unfortunately the world is full of men with comments like yours

no need to slam me and my qualifications - which are a degree in woman's studies

Using the word Women in place of girl when referring to a grown Women is more appropriate. If you decide to use the word girl you will most likely offend someone... it is truely your call.

I will now leave this thread as I have spoken my peace

Women's Rights are Human Rights

We sailed the Emerald last March and had such a great time that we're going again this coming March. Yes, there were a lot of Canadians and Brits on our cruise, and many people 40-65, but we didn't have a problem with scooters or a lot of complainers. The longer cruises never have as many kids onboard but we didn't mind this since our kids are in their 20's now. Next March our 21 year old son is coming with us and I'm sure he'll find a few friends onboard. If you like a longer cruise, with more time for relaxation, the Emerald is great.

Archived