Westerdam Handicapped cabins

arkansastraveler

In general, handicap cabins on all HAL ships tend to be odd shapes, with slightly greater square footage. The furnishing are sometimes not standard, or the arrangement is different, to allow easy movement of a wheelchair.

Upper promenade cabins do have deeper balconies than other decks on the Vista ships, of which Westerdam is one.

You can get cabin photos from the Access and Compliance department of HAL.

As you're not a recent or frequent poster here, you may not know when the able bodied want to book these cabins because of extra space, or what looks like a bigger balcony, the OP gets some harsh and deserved criticism. Choosing a HC cabin to get a few extra square feet may prevent a handicapped person from cruising, as HAL will not "bump". More to the point for the able bodied, the odd spacing of furnishing results in "wasted" space, and frequently disappoints. The roll in shower is also not pleasing to the able bodied.

I apologize for mentioning this is you are, or cruise with, a handicapped person. However, I note you're booked on Westerdam for a May sailing, apparently in an aft non-HC cabin.

Yes, they will assign a table close to the entrance doors somewhere along the main aisle to provide easier access. Best not to get the first couple of tables next to the entrance because they get busy and noisy when people are backed up waiting to be seated. Check with the Maitr 'd or better yet talk to the access department in Seattle and tell them of your request. You absolutely do not want a window seat because they are very difficult to access particularly when others are already seated:)

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump this thread up.

We were booked into a handicap room by HAL, they told us that if the room is needed we would be moved and we couldn't argue about it ( which I agree with), I actually found it kind of strange that they would offer us this room to start with and though I would miss the larger balcony I would not hesitate to give up the cabin.

We were booked into a handicap room by HAL, they told us that if the room is needed we would be moved and we couldn't argue about it ( which I agree with), I actually found it kind of strange that they would offer us this room to start with and though I would miss the larger balcony I would not hesitate to give up the cabin.

HAL may have told you that you would be moved if the cabin were needed, but that will not happen. Once the cabin is out of inventory, it does not get flagged as available "if".

Unless your cruise is within the next three months (i.e. past final payment), and assuming you don't need the special features of a handicap cabin, you should notify HAL that you want to be reassigned to a non-handicap cabin. That will allow someone who needs that cabin to be able to cruise as well.

Absolutely not true. We've been assured over and over again that HAL would NEVER book someone who is able-bodied into a handicapped room.

The only exception is close to the sail date, of course. Often the open HC cabins go to people with guarantees.

HAL does not "bump" people out of HC rooms. Trust me, it does not happen.

Really.....oh that's not good, while I like the idea of a larger balcony, taking a cruise a cruise away from someone is just not on, in fact it was the first thing the wife said when I mentioned it to her. I will find a new cabin tomorrow.

18 months prior to a cruise I was assigned a handicapped cabin. The TA said it must not be needed for a handicapped person, I thought about it for a couple of months and finally asked to be changed to another cabin. It doesn't seem right to give handicapped cabins to moblie passengers before the last minute but I think it happens frequently.

Marcia

Yeah I am guessing it does happen more often than not, but I am really not comfortable with it, I figured we would get a phone call from HAL at some point telling us we are moving....and ok maybe we could play let's make a deal on an upgrade...but as it is I am thinking an aft cabin would be nice as well.

This does obviously happen a bit as we've had the same - I've recently within the last few weeks booked an Alaska cruise in August 2009 - so not close to sail date and we were told by our Travel Agent that HAL had only offered them the Handicaped Balcony cabin and said that nothing else was left in that grade - so they do give them out to able bodied persons! I was dubious about taking it and said we didn't want anyone to go without - but they were adamant it was OK. I also feel very guilty about taking a handicapped cabin - I will see if the travel agent can get this changed - I had also thought we would be moved if the cabin was required!!

Nyree

It's funny that HAL is the only cruiseline that I've looked at major travel websites and have accessible cabins come up in the regular inventory. I don't know if it's just a coincidence, or if the other cruiselines do more to make sure that accessible cabins are kept for those who truly need them.

In one instance, before we booked our cruise on the Maasdam in 2005, the only cabin showing up on a major travel website in the particular category that we wanted was accessible. We ended up talking to our travel agent and going with a higher category when he was able to get us a good deal.

We were also reserved in handicap rooms since they were the last in the grade. I was also told that if they needed them they would let us know. My kids are very upset that we have a handicapped room when we are all able bodied, so I called to get moved and of course they said it was not a problem that if the room was needed we would be notified....or if we wanted we could be changed to a different category...$200 per person, so a total of $800!!! Yow!! For the room next door!!! Yes, 1 room down!! The Handicap Room and this room share a common wall!! I was shocked!!:confused:

Archived