Help..Last minute packing questions

butnzb

Naturally, I'm thinking of all kinds of things. Is it ok to pack hot rollers? I have read that it is ok to take a bottle of wine in check luggage, can you get a cork screw from your room steward or do we need or can we take our own? We will be driving in and generally both wear jeans as leisure wear. Are jeans ok in general as long as you dress for the dining room, I sure hope so. My DH always has a pocket knife with him, would that make it through security or would it be confiscated? I know I would have a hard time getting him to leave it out of his pocket.

4_6_3.gif

My father once had a nailclipper confiscated... the pocket knife is so not making it thru!!! Considering how some people dressed on our last cruise, jeans are fine, just bring something nice for dinner. As for the wine, I would seal it in a large Ziploc bag and make sure it's very well padded...

P.S. Sorry, I just realized you're not flying in, but driving... the knife might be ok, just depends on how zealous they are...

To be on the safe side, put the pocket knife in luggage other than your carry on to board ship. Ditto with bottle of wine and cork screw.

Scanning procedures at ship are not as stringent as airports and pocket knives are o.k. aboard ship as far as I have seen. A switch blade or 6'' carving knife might be a different matter.

Dianne

Just keep in mind that you go thru metal detectors like at the airport and that your carry ons get scanned. Maybe you can convince him to put the knife in the checked baggages when you get to port BUT you do get scanned every time you get back onboard.

Also, based on the palm trees in your signature and that you are driving from GA, I am guessing you are cruising the Caribbean. While jeans might be your normal dress, you might find them uncomfortable in the heat and humidity of the islands. Just a thought.

I asked my girlfriend who has been on Carnival cruises for the past 10 years about wine and corkscrews. She takes 4 bottles (7 day cruise) and puts the corkscrew in her checked luggage. Also, she mentioned that if you want the wine you brought with you at dinner, you get charged a $10 corkage fee.

Thanks everyone for your help!!!! I think all I have packed so far is shorts, swimsuits and sundresses. But traveling by car to board we will most likely wear jeans and I wasn't sure, knowing it may take awhile to receive luggage in room if jeans would be o.k. So that makes another point that I have been worrying about--I am packing all summer items "hoping" it will be sunny and really warm, but afraid it will be cooler than anticipated. I know, stop worrying (I am trying) We are departing from Tampa on the Inspiration on 11/13 for the Western Caribbean for 5 days (Grand Cayman & Cozumel). This is our first cruise and also our 25th wedding anniversary.

Also...has anyone had a bottle of wine to break in checked luggage. I am planning on putting it in a ziploc bag and padding it well, but, you guessed it, something else to think about (worst case scenario). Ya know, maybe I should get the stuff in the box, is it any good?

You are just trying to make us jealous because your cruise is so close and you get to pack now.<smile>. You can always take a carry on bag with you when you board the ship. Pack things like change of clothes, swimsuit, etc. I have sailed Carnival several times and have never had a problem not receiving luggage before dinner, but it helps to have a back up plan. Ya'll(from one Georgian to another) have a great anniverary and a wonderful cruise:)

I carried a bottle of champagne in our carryon luggage on board ship, no problem. But..... when our luggage arrived in our room, the suitcase with all our snorkeling equipment had shattered glass/plastic everywhere. Look like an explosive device had gone off in my suitcase. It was the clear part of the snorkel mask completely gone shattered in a million pieces. I was really surprised. Only problem is, don't know to blame the airline or the cruise ship. So a word to the wise.

Also, be sure to bring a wrap/sweater/jacket for both you & your hubby. We wore them always in the main lounge where the nightly shows/bingo/shopping talks/debarkation talks were held. Air conditioning was very cold in there, so you will really use them daily.

I have only taken one Carnival cruise and it was 3 years ago, at that time, we were allowed to carry on wine. If you take it to the dining room, there was a corkage fee, don't remember how much, but still far less than buying a decent bottle of wine for dinner.

Take the corkscrew, pack that and the pocket knife in the checked bag. Jeans are fine throughout the day, take a sweater or some kind of wrap for evening. DH and I always enjoy a walk around deck at night, sometimes it is balmy, sometimes a little cool. I like to take a pareo (sarong) with me, it has a ton of uses. I use it as a wrap at the shows, a coverup away from the pool, I like to lay on that instead of a towel at the pool, a light blanket for napping when you are still covered with sunscreen. I have even used it as a laundry bag at a hotel before. If you don't have one, there are plenty of beautiful ones available on the islands and sometimes onboard the ship.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Archived