Alcohol In Santo Domingo

prico

Does anyone that sailed early this year from Santo Domingo on Royal Caribbean knows if it was hard to bring alcohol on the luggage in the port in Santo Domingo? I read that they check luggage there?

I will appreciate any information.

• 2 weeks later...

Kathy,

Right across the street from the port is the Colonial Zone and there are many stores that sell liquor. But if you are coming from the US, I think the Duty Free in Santo Domingo Airport is your best bet. My flight from Philadelphia arrives at 10:49 PM so I'll buy my at the Duty Free in PHL or Sunday before departure.

Yes, They do check for alcohol at the port in Santo DOmingo. I was on the Legend's last december and and they did have a checkpoint for luggage. Regards,

Hey DR GUY are thos checks at Ramdom or everyone has to get their suitcases inspected? How was the boarding proccess on your last DR cruise? Dit it took long. I was told to be there at Noon.

Thanks and Happy new year

Prico,

Happy New Year!! Sorry for the late response. I understand that the check is 100% for luggage and everybody also has to check hand luggage (x-ray machine). The process is definitely smooth (15 -20 mins avg. to get on onboard). I got to the port at around 2:30PM and was on-board by 3PM. Regards, :)

Dear Connie:

The Hilton and the Intercontinental are right on the "Malecon" (the water front boulevard) which is just a 10 mins drive to the port. The hilton is the newest hotel in town and is in very good conditions. I haven't been at the Intercontinental for while, but know it needed some renovations (check some of the hotel ratings site; Expedia or trip advisor for comments on this hotel). although Other very good options would be the Jaragua Renaissance and the Melia (Spanish chain hotel, renovated in 2006). If you're looking fora more quaint atmosphere (although somewhat pricier) you can stay at the Sofitel, right in the heart of the Colonial zone.

Concerning the airport-to-hotel transfers, there is no need to pre-book you can take a taxi right out of the airport terminal. The ride to the hotel should be about 20-25 mins. and you should pay in the 35-US$50 range.

Best Regards, :)

Dear Smithys, there is no shuttle bus, only a taxi service. The port is serviced by a different taxi service than the one which operates at the airport, but the price is the same (around US$40.00). They have a publish tariff which you can check either on embarkation or debark.

Regards, DR GUY

Prico,

Happy New Year!! Sorry for the late response. I understand that the check is 100% for luggage and everybody also has to check hand luggage (x-ray machine). The process is definitely smooth (15 -20 mins avg. to get on onboard). I got to the port at around 2:30PM and was on-board by 3PM. Regards, :)

DR G,

I was wondering,

We will be checking out of our Hotel by noon on Embarkation day. Once we check in the Vision of the Seas we will lunch onboard and later take our rental car to the rental place at Maximo Gomez Esq Independencia.

We have relatives in Zona Oriental and may swing by before we depart at 9:00 PM. I assume that once you check-in the ship and drop the luggage we can leave again for a couple of hours without going through the whole immigration process.

I have local sisters in law that will be onboard and want to check in and take the vehicle back home.

Do you know?

In San Juan I just checked in and leave again. Do they allow that in SDQ?

Thanks in advance.

Dear PRico, I understand there is no problem with you checking in and then going out to drop the car. With the cruise leaving at 8PM or 9PM I don't think this will be a problem. You will have to go thorugh security when you come back, so do make sure you carry your ID and cruise card before leaving.

Regards, DR GUY

Dear PRico, I understand there is no problem with you checking in and then going out to drop the car. With the cruise leaving at 8PM or 9PM I don't think this will be a problem. You will have to go thorugh security when you come back, so do make sure you carry your ID and cruise card before leaving.

Regards, DR GUY

Thanks DR Guy

Just returned from Carnival Splendor cruise with a stop in DR. There is a shopping area right where you dock and it is Duty Free. As for being inspected. Carnival does x-ray all bags coming back on board but they said nothing about the two bottles we brought on board. We picked up some of the local mamajuana ingredients bottles (basically it has no alcohol in the bottle just all the ingredients) and had read sometimes when coming back into USA That customs will not let it in as in is agriculture in nature. But some have said customs will allow you to pour your Rum into it at the inspection point if you have it and then will let it in. Since at that point it is a achocal drink. We had not problem but had bottle of Rum handy if needed. Got a bottle brewing right now at home.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know what is the earliest check-in time for the Vision T/A on Sunday, 4/19 out of Santo Domingo? Departure time isn't until 9 p.m., but hoping to board WAY before that.

I hear "No earlier than noon". We too will be there at noon this Sunday (2/8) I will post from aboard or upon return how it went.

• 2 months later...

Archived