Distance to NO Pier???

Setme2sail

We are staying at the La Quinta-Downtown(Camp Street). We are sailing Dream on 12/12/04. I checked mapquest and the distance from the hotel to the pier is 1 mile. After reading several post about how terrible traffic is, has anyone ever walked to the pier from this area? Our luggage is on wheels and I plan to travel light. It seems silly to get a taxi for just a mile. Let me know of your experiences. Thanks

Thanks, BudgetQueen, for the info. I don't mind getting a cab, I've just read so much about the traffic problem around the port. I'm like a kid when I'm on vacation. I keep saying "Are we there yet, Are we there yet" lol. I don't want to stress out the cab driver. ;)

A big part of the traffic problem, now worse since the parking lot adjacent to the cruise terminal is closed, is people trying to get to the terminal early and encountering the debarking traffic. We had lunch in the Riverwalk last Saturday when the Sensation and the Grandeur were both in port. At 2:00 p.m. there was little traffic on Convention Center Boulevard and no congestion at the loading/unloading area of the terminal. As anxious as we always are to board, we resist the temptation to go early, and have never had a problem.

It really isn't a bad walk from your hotel, as long as the weather is OK. It would never work for us because of the volume of stuff my wife needs to bring on a cruise, but if you are travelling light and are in reasonably good shape, you might want to give it a try. Walk down Camp Street, cross Poydras (that's a big divided street) and turn left on Lafayette Street. That's about four blocks. Take Lafayette to Convention Center Boulevard and turn right to Julia Street. Take a left on Julia and cross Convention Center Blvd. towerds the Riverwalk. Cross the tracks and take a right. This part will be a little tricky because you will be dodging some traffic, but the dropoff point is only about half a block away.

My goodness - I'd never consider walking from that location to the terminal! Traffic is horrendous, luggage would be a pain to pull that far, and you'll be exhausted and aggrevated before you even get to the ship.

Get a cab. $7 per person.

• 2 weeks later...

It's interesting that the traffic is snarled due to people trying to get on the ship as early as they can so they encounter passengers leaving. For me, the main reason I'm taking this particular cruise is to spend some time in New Orleans. Why hurry to get on the ship? New Orleans is an interesting port of call itself. You don't have to be on board till 4:00 pm. Enjoy the city!

Archived