Guaranteed balcony on RCCL Jewel

Doughball

On 03/02/09, my wife and I will sail on the RCCL Jewel. We have been offered a "Balcony Guarantee", for a nice discount. Why would RCCL make this offer? We would not know what cabin we would have until close to sailing time. Are there any problems that anyone would know about. Has anyone else taken advantage of this type of offer?

Thanks!

Many on my April cruise gave up their balcony picks to change to guarantee balconys because of the huge savings, and many got nice upgrades.

As far as when you will know, I have had my cabin assignment for my April cruise for about a month, so you may know within 2 weeks or less or you may not find out until you board. But we all got our cabin assigment for April the same day, whoosh, RCL went thru all the guarantees and assigned them on the same day.

Hi Doughball,

Am on the same cruise as you. Come on over to the roll call which is here : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=689067&page=19

We had a GTY originally as at the time I didn't mind which of the cabins that appeared available on the website we had. A hump cabin then became free so I paid the difference to change to that one.... then an aft in the same category which I changed to with no charge. There has since been a price drop :)

Guarantees are often offered in order to sell cabins at a cheaper rate and then place people where there is space. I've booked many of them ... sometimes receiving the "worst" possible room in the guarantee, other times receiving upgrades.

Thanks for the information Bob007. One question. You mentioned that you had also had the "worst" cabin. What do you call worst.

Doughball

Archived