What are your favorite Beaches in Bermuda?

*Luv2Cruz*

What are your favorite beaches in Bermuda?  

203 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favorite beaches in Bermuda?

According to Frommer’s, here is there top ten. (Plus one I added);) Choose the beaches you like best and let’s see how where they rank?!!:)

Frommer’s “The Best Beaches” +1

Your first priority on your Bermuda vacation probably will be to kick back at the beach. But which beach? Hotels often have private stretches of sand, which we've described in each accommodations review. There are many fine public beaches as well. Here's our top-10 list, arranged clockwise around the island, beginning with the south-shore beaches closest to the City of Hamilton.

Elbow Beach (Paget Parish): The pale pink sand stretches for almost a mile at Elbow Beach, one of the most popular beaches in Bermuda. At least three hotels sit on its perimeter. Because protective coral reefs surround it, Elbow Beach is one of the safest beaches on the island for swimming. Around Easter, it tends to be packed with college students who descend on Bermuda.

Astwood Cove (Warwick Parish): At the bottom of the steep, winding road that intersects with South Road, this beach is so remote that it's rarely overcrowded. Come here when you want to be alone. The trees and shrubbery of Astwood Park provide a verdant backdrop.

Warwick Long Bay (Warwick Parish): This popular beach, on the south side of South Shore Park, features a half-mile stretch of sand against a backdrop of scrubland and low grasses. Despite frequent winds, an offshore reef keeps the waves surprisingly small. Less than 60m (200 ft.) offshore, a jagged coral island appears to be floating above the water. There is excellent snorkeling here -- the waters are clear and marine life comes in close to shore.

Chaplin Bay (Warwick and Southampton parishes): At the southern extremity of South Shore Park, straddling the boundary of two parishes, this small but secluded beach almost completely disappears during storms and particularly high tides. An open-air coral barrier rises from the water, partially separating one half of the beach from the other.

Horseshoe Bay (Southampton Parish): This is Bermuda's most famous beach, and it's one of the best for families. Unlike most island beaches, Horseshoe Bay has a lifeguard on duty from May to September. The Horseshoe Bay Beach Cafe (tel. 441/238-2651) offers complete facilities, including watersports equipment rental.

Church Bay(Southampton Parish): If you like to snorkel, this southwestern beach is for you. The relatively calm waters, sheltered by offshore reefs, harbor a variety of marine life. Sunbathers love the unusually deep, pink sands of this beach.

Jobson’s Cove (Southampton Parish): We found out about this little secluded hideaway from a British lady on our cruise ship. If you're feeling energetic, you can hike into the cove. Or you can take a taxi, like we did (it was much too hot to walk there). This gorgeous tucked-away horseshoe-shaped bay — located adjacent to Warwick Long Bay — is only 30 feet wide, and its shallow waters make it an excellent location for swimming and snorkeling. Don't forget your camera — it's a beautiful spot.

Somerset Long Bay (Sandys Parish): The waters off this beach are often unsafe for swimming, but its isolation will appeal to anyone who wants to escape the crowds. With about a quarter-mile of sand, the crescent-shaped beach is ideal for strolling. The undeveloped parkland of Sandys Parish shelters it from the rest of the island.

Shelly Bay (Hamilton Parish): On the north shore, you'll discover calm waters and soft, pink sand -- and you'll want for nothing else. This beach is well-known among beach buffs, but it's rarely overcrowded and there's always a spot in the sun just waiting for you.

Tobacco Bay (St. George's Parish): A popular stretch of pale pink sand, this is the most frequented beach on St. George's Island. It offers lots of facilities, including equipment rentals and a snack bar.

John Smith's Bay (Smith's Parish): The only public beach in Smith's Parish is long and flat. It boasts the pale pink sand for which the south shore is famous. There's usually a lifeguard on duty from May to September -- a plus for families. There are toilet and changing facilities on-site.

Edited by *Luv2Cruz*

We just love everything about horseshoe bay. It is so picturesque and very spread out where you can find an area and feel like it's your own private beach. When we first walk down that hill and approach horseshoes consession area we're always in Awe of the beauty that surrounds you. We rent our chairs and walk all the way to the left of the beach, all the way down and through those humungous rocks/caves to our own little private paradise. Pictures are beautiful from this beach.

This is a perfect place to spend the day, relax, swim, read a good book walk etc...

Highly recommend this place to anyone. Great for families with children. Very calm waters.

We'll return here for every bermuda cruise we take. We even braved our october cruise this year. We WALKED back up the hill!!! The last two years we spent the "best buck you'll spend all day" and paid the guy $1.00 p/person to drive us up the hill... I huffed , he puffed *but pretended not too*...

• 3 weeks later...

I think I would also have to go with Horseshoe Bay. It's all about the rocks. The beach just has a great atmosphere. :)

A close second would be Tobacco Bay, especially when docked at St. George. Nice place to take in the scenery while enjoying a Corona at the beach bar. :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you to those who voted!:) So far the results are turning out kinda like I expected. Hopefully so more of us Bermuda lovers will chime in and if you selected "Other", I'm curious what beaches you had in mind!:confused: Bermuda here we come!!:cool:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With only 60 days until we head for Bermuda I thought I'd try again to finalize our poll. If you haven't done so already, please let us know your thoughts about the best beaches!!:D Also; any more detail about the "Others" would be appreciated!;) Happy cruising!!:D

Definitely Tobacco Bay. It has the best snorkeling ever. I even saw an octopus.

It is good for snorkeling. Not close to the best ever. But what I don't understand is the Frommers claiming it has pink sand which is stretching it and not mentioning that it has good snorkeling.

Also Frommers says Church Bay is calm. Boy was I there the wrong days both times I checked it out. I couldn't try the snorkeling there because it was too rough.

It is good for snorkeling. Not close to the best ever. But what I don't understand is the Frommers claiming it has pink sand which is stretching it and not mentioning that it has good snorkeling.

IMO, I don't think Frommer knows all.;)

Also Frommers says Church Bay is calm. Boy was I there the wrong days both times I checked it out. I couldn't try the snorkeling there because it was too rough.

Guess we were there on the wrong day as well. We did do some snorkeling but had to be VERY careful close to the rocks...sharp....ouch.:eek: We got bounced around and it was "work" as opposed to leisurly floating at Tobacco Bay. However, the beach was beautiful and practically deserted.

• 2 weeks later...
Also; any more detail about the "Others" would be appreciated!;)

FYI: I have never been to Bermuda. Will be there this June so I am very interested in this poll.

The only way these boards let you see the poll is to vote. So I have to vote other for no other reason.:rolleyes:

FYI: I have never been to Bermuda. Will be there this June so I am very interested in this poll.

The only way these boards let you see the poll is to vote. So I have to vote other for no other reason.:rolleyes:

You gotta point there!;) If you follow the poll results, you'll see the best beaches!:D

• 2 weeks later...

We've only been to Horseshoe so I didn't vote. We would like to try another beach that is less crowded. Not into snorkeling, just a nice walk and sitting for an hour or so. I was thinking of Elbow, should I go by the results? Jobson's cove looks nice too! So many beaches, so little time....

We've only been to Horseshoe so I didn't vote. We would like to try another beach that is less crowded. Not into snorkeling, just a nice walk and sitting for an hour or so. I was thinking of Elbow, should I go by the results? Jobson's cove looks nice too! So many beaches, so little time....
Both Elbow and Jobson are great.:cool: Personally, I'd checkout Jobson as there are not as many people there and it is beautiful!:D Happy Anniversary! Enjoy your trip!:) Edited by *Luv2Cruz*

Don't mean to argue, but I noticed someone else mention the fact that they can't view the poll without voting.

I'm confused however because just to the right of the vote now button there is a link to "view poll results"

Below is an example of the poll, are you not seeing this on your screen for some reason?

Only tring to help!:)

What are your favorite beaches in Bermuda?

Elbow Beach

Astwood Cove

Warwick Long Bay

Chaplin Bay

Horseshoe Bay

Church Bay

Jobson’s Cove

Somerset Long Bay

Shelly Bay

Tobacco Bay

John Smith's Bay

Other

View Poll Results

edit: Sorry the screen doesn't look exactly like the poll, but my point is that there is a link to view the poll results

Edited by pajammies

Both Elbow and Jobson are great.:cool: Personally, I'd checkout Jobson as there are not as many people there and it is beautiful!:D Happy Anniversary! Enjoy your trip!:)

In your description you say "if you feel energetic you can hike into the cove". How long might this hike be and is it worth the hike? Thanks for the anniversary wishes. Hope you enjoy your trip too, I'm sure you will. Love your group name by the way!

Edited by fridaythe13th

In your description you say "if you feel energetic you can hike into the cove". How long might this hike be and is it worth the hike? Thanks for the anniversary wishes. Hope you enjoy your trip too, I'm sure you will. Love your group name by the way!
Honestly, since the quote was from Frommers or whatever they're called, I'm not sure what they're refering to?!:confused:

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We are leaving for Bermuda tom. !! We always go to Horseshoe Bay, and have also been to Tobacco Beach. I think from everything I have been hearing about Jobson Beach I would like to see it. Where is it? How far away from cruise port? Do you know what the cost of a taxi ride would be? Thanks for the help!

Jobson's is just East of Horseshoe. You can actually walk along trails from one to the other. Another nice beach just beyond Jobsons is Warwick Long Bay. A couple years ago a taxi to HS from the Dockyard was $30. I don't think there are restrooms at Jobsons.