Brilliance of the seas

Brilliance is a beautiful ship--not as large as Independence, but more than adequate, nevertheless.

The only "downside" I found was the covered Solarium. It's supposed to be a "retractable" roof, but it was always closed, meaning, no tanning in there! Other than that, I had no complaints. The crew is super, the decor is lovely, and we had a great time.

There's no "promenade"--but the Centrum is a nice area---you really won't miss the promenade area that much.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for your comments - I am really excited about going on Brilliance!

Does anyone know if there is a 24hr eating place onboard? Also, are the pools and jacuzzis open 24hrs? On independence it was great to soak in the hot tub looking at the stars, then go the promenade for a late night snack!

We did the 12 night Med Greek Isles on Brilliance in August and we had a fantastic time.

For March in the Med the fact that the solarium pool is covered is a bonus!

The Windjammer has a great outdoor seating area and make sure you try the Seaview cafe on Deck 13 - they are open late and have great pasta and paninis.

Chops was AMAZING and we loved sitting in the Schooner Bar for a pre- or post-dinner drink ( or both!!)

Have a great time - wish I was coming with you!

I've not sailed on any RCCL cruises except the Brilliance and her sister ship the Radiance. And they have spoiled me, because I absolutely love all the glass which allows one to see out to sea from many vantage points. I get claustrophobic on other ships as a result.

Thanks for your comments - I am really excited about going on Brilliance!

Does anyone know if there is a 24hr eating place onboard? Also, are the pools and jacuzzis open 24hrs? On independence it was great to soak in the hot tub looking at the stars, then go the promenade for a late night snack!

The Windjammer is open to 9:30 PM in the evenings, and the Solarium Cafe from 9 PM to 1 AM. No eating options after 1 AM except for room service.

I am booked on an 11-night eastern med cruise on brilliance next march. The only RCI ship I have been on so far is the Independence. What experiences have people had on the brilliance. Any tips or suggestions? I'd really like to know what to expect!

We were on brilliance last January for a 9 day Caribbean cruise. I loved this ship. Staff are super, dining was great and 9 days were not enought. I would sail this itinerary on her in a heart beat.

Except for room service you won't be able to get food twenty four hours a day. (Solarium Cafe and Seaview Cafe are usually open until after 1am), but you will find at least one pool and a jacuzzi open 24/7 on Brilliance. I'm not sure how much the glass roof cuts down on exposure to the UV rays that are responsible for sunburns or tans, but we have been onboard when the roof has been retracted. In general we prefer that the roof be closed in order to maintain a climate controlled environment. When the outside weather is cool or inclement, the Solarium is a welcome, temperature-controlled location. When the weather is hot and humid, the Solarium is a great refuge from the heat and humidity. Those who prefer the open skies and sun have more than sufficient space outside beside and overlooking the pool.

As others have said, Radiance class ships seem to be the ideal design and size for those of us who want to stay connected to the sea while we cruise.It is very unfortunate that the bean counters have determined that it is economically unfeasible to build more ships of this class.:(

Except for room service you won't be able to get food twenty four hours a day. (Solarium Cafe and Seaview Cafe are usually open until after 1am), but you will find at least one pool and a jacuzzi open 24/7 on Brilliance. I'm not sure how much the glass roof cuts down on exposure to the UV rays that are responsible for sunburns or tans, but we have been onboard when the roof has been retracted. In general we prefer that the roof be closed in order to maintain a climate controlled environment. When the outside weather is cool or inclement, the Solarium is a welcome, temperature-controlled location. When the weather is hot and humid, the Solarium is a great refuge from the heat and humidity. Those who prefer the open skies and sun have more than sufficient space outside beside and overlooking the pool.

As others have said, Radiance class ships seem to be the ideal design and size for those of us who want to stay connected to the sea while we cruise.It is very unfortunate that the bean counters have determined that it is economically unfeasible to build more ships of this class.:(

I just got back from the Brilliance and the Seaview Cafe was never open past 7:30 or 8:00 PM. And the Solarium Cafe shut down at 1 AM every night... saw very few people there after 11 PM so don't think many people missed it...

Archived