The Squeaky Wheel.....

TCF

....DOES GET THE GREASE!!

It has been our experience having sailed on four different cruise lines that they all just hate admitting to their failures...but worse compensating passengers for them...HAL is no different!

Some may recall those of us who did the Veendam cruise to Panama and the Amazon last Sept./Oct. complaing about the A/C breaking down for four of the five weeks we were onboard.

Many of us complained to HAL directly when we got home...we were among them. First, we complained while we were onboard....then we complained to Guest Relations by email...then we complained to Guest Relations by phone. Having not received so much as an email or call back, we wrote a long, and not so pleasant, letter to the CEO of HAL.

Last Monday we received an email from a Special Advisor to the CEO offering us a $1400 future cruise credit on any HAL sailing...the only proviso being that we had to book within a one year window and the credit can only be used against the cruise fare.

So the cruise lines may not like giving back money....but they hate losing previous customers not coming back.

If you have a compensable complaint...don't give up...because clearly the "squeaky wheel does get the grease"!!!

Having not received so much as an email or call back, we wrote a long, and not so pleasant, letter to the CEO of HAL.

Last Monday we received an email from a Special Advisor to the CEO offering us a $1400 future cruise credit on any HAL sailing...

Well done TCF.

I'll have to get a copy of that letter - just in case! :p:p

Can I ask if that was $1,400.00 per person, or $700.00 per person? Also how much was your cruise, ie was it a 3rd of the cost etc., and does the discount have to be off of HAL's price or can it be used with a TA's discounted fare?

Can I ask if that was $1,400.00 per person, or $700.00 per person? Also how much was your cruise, ie was it a 3rd of the cost etc., and does the discount have to be off of HAL's price or can it be used with a TA's discounted fare?

Sorry for all the questions I asked this am! I was just curious on how the voucher/discounts work because I have seen people mad because most/many TA's (ones that discount) take the coupons/vouchers at 75% of face value (including the now defunct CVC) so I have seen posts with considerable confusion. Of course there is no issue if your next cruise is booked directly through HAL.

Jade...here is the pertinent paragraph from the email we received from the HAL's CEO's office.

As a gesture of goodwill, we would like to extend Future Cruise Credits to you in the amount of $1400.00 total in an effort to show our concern for your experience. The value of these credits may be applied to the cruise fare only of a new cruise or cruisetour reservation with Holland America Line, and they are combinable with any other applicable credit. While the credits are valid for one year, please note that they need only to be applied to the new booking by December 8, 2009; your cruise does not need to depart within this year’s time. Although you may choose any stateroom category, this offer is dependent upon space availability and cannot be transferred, refunded, or used as a deposit. These credits may not be used for onboard expenses, pre- and post-cruise packages, shore excursions, taxes, gratuities, Cancellation Protection Plans, Home City Air, or other optional programs or services. Please have your travel agent verify this offer with our Reservation Agent at the time your new reservation is placed. For your convenience, these credits are built in direct association with Mariner Society numbers, so they will automatically be credited toward your cruise fare.

Not sure why it won't go back to the same font size but it won't....so... my interpretation of the letter is that the $1400 is applicable to the cabin fare only...not pp...but does not exclude other applicable credits to a cruise purchase.

I have not heard from others on this cruise who also complained and received a credit...but as I recall this is the largest amount I remember seeing from their posts here. It was no where near a third of the cost....this was an $18,000 USD cruise...over $20,000USD with all the taxes, conversion rates from $CDN, etc. But...it is unlikely we will ever take another trip-of-lifetime so a $1400USD credit on a shorter cruise (10 to 21 days) is nothing to shrug at...at least from our perspective. In addition, it is a matter of principle with us...the cruise was not as we bought it and the $1400 is HAL's admission that it was in the wrong. This satisfies us!

Archived